• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you drink milk? Are you "lactose intolerant"?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province?

US, GA.

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass (250mL+) of milk. (choose 1)

12-29 (e.g. at least 3 times a week but not every day)

(What I know is that I go through 1 gallon of milk a week.)

3. If you don't drink milk, skip to question 6.

For milk drinkers
4. How do you usually drink your milk? (choose all that applies)

Glass of milk separately (for breakfast, before bed? etc)
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage

All of those.

5. What sort of milk do you drink? (choose all that applies and indicate reason for preference)

2% milk. I drank it as a kid, so why bother changing?

(Though I wanna try whole milk some day.)

For all
8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice)

Goat milk - Biologically the closest to cow's milk. If you were intent on drinking milk.
Soy drink - A friend who is lactose intolerant drinks this. She's drank cow's milk before, and said it tasted very close to the same. I declined trying it.
Almond/Rice Milk - No idea what's in this, but it sounds better than drinking yogurt.
Yogurt drink

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know)

almond/rice milk
soy drink
goat milk
yogurt drink

This was guessing.

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess)

almond/rice milk
goat milk
soy drink
yogurt drink

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is?

Mik consumtpion from a cultural standpoint. Are some countries more lactose intolerant than others? If so, what do they drink instead? And why do they not drink it?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? New Jersey

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass
(250mL+) of milk. (choose 1)
30+ (e.g. daily)
8-11 (e.g. between 2-3 times a week)
1-7 (e.g. a few times a month)
0 (e.g. you don't drink milk)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.

5. What sort of milk do you drink? (choose all that applies and indicate reason for preference)
full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk
skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers
6. Why don't you drink milk? (lactose-intolerance? etc) I am lactose sensitive. Upset stomach results, etc.

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy) I buy soy and indulge in the occasional rice or almond milk.

For all
8. Which of the following would you recommend as a milk replacement for a friend who has problems digesting cow's milk? (Rank from 1st choice to last, a rationale would be nice)

Soy drink 1 (NV 2?) Price 4
low-lactose milk 3 (NV 4?) Price 2
Almond/rice milk 2 (NV 5?) Price 3
Goat milk 4 (NV 3?) Price 1
Yogurt drink 5 (NV 1?) Price 5

9. Re-rank the above list according to nutritional value (highest to lowest, take a guess if you don't know)

10. Re-rank the list according to price (most expensive to least expensive, again take a guess)

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is? American consumer awareness of dairy milk alternatives...?

winshayri

I need to do a survey for a school assignment. If people wouldn't mind helping me out, it'll be great. :yes: (Yes I know it's a little long... :sorry:)

Please answer the following questions.

1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? Philippines, Asia

2. How many times do you drink milk in a month? I'm referring to a full glass (250mL+) of milk. (choose 1)

30+ (e.g. daily) daily, i drink 2glasses per day

For milk drinkers

i drink it with a nesquick liquid, so it tastes like chocolate, or i take it with a bowl of cereal. i drink a glass in the morning and another before bed, the cereal can be a different glass.

it just says LOW FAT :/ sorry

For non-milk drinkers
6. Why don't you drink milk? (lactose-intolerance? etc)
i drink milk even though im lactose intolerant :c

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy)

maybe twice a month i put cheese on sliced bread :)

For all

Soy drink 2nd
low-lactose milk 4th
Almond/rice milk 3rd
Goat milk 5th
Yogurt drink 1st

yogurt, soy, goat, almond, and low lactose?

almond rice, low lactose, yogurt, soy, goat

random questions about milk drinkers :c or research on milk consumers and non milk consumers expectations about the nutrients of milk? :/

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province?

Northern Sweden

30+

For milk drinkers

Milk with cereal {check}
Milk in beverage {check}
Other? Please describe. {check}

2% milk, quenches thirst, tastes good. Even if it's a little too close to cream.
1% milk, quenches thirst, tastes good.

For all

low-lactose milk

Don't know, I like tastes.
1. Goat milk
2. Low-lactose milk
3. Soy drink
4. Almond/rice milk
5. Yogurt drink

Again:
1. Goat milk
2. Low-lactose milk
3. Soy drink
4. Almond/rice milk
5. Yogurt drink

11. Final check, what do you think my research topic is?[/QUOTE]

Nutrition?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Where do you live? (Country) If you're in North America, which state/province? Canada (Ontario)

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe. also in food, but that's not really drinking it.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk - slight preference, because it tastes the same and is lower fat

skim milk
other? specify

For non-milk drinkers

7. Do you drink/eat any dairy replacement? If so, what? (eg yogurt, cheese, soy)

For all

1) Soy drink - because it's delicious!
2) low-lactose milk - expensive but probably good
4) Almond/rice milk - never had it - sounds gross
3) Goat milk - never had it - sounds ok
5) Yogurt drink - ummm...doesn't this have lactose in it??

no idea. soy>yogurt>low lactose>goat>rice milk??

not much idea. low lactose>goat milk>yogurt drink(?)>rice milk=soy milk

alternatives to milk products?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need to do a survey for a school assignment. If people wouldn't mind helping me out, it'll be great. :yes: (Yes I know it's a little long... :sorry:)

Westphalia, Germany

30+ definitely

Most times I drink more than that of milk a day.

For milk drinkers

Glass of milk separately
Milk in beverage
Milk as part of a protein drink

full-fat (homo, 4%)
1.5% milk (we have this in Germany)

For all

Damn I have no idea, really, because I'm not familiar with them...I've *heard* soy is good, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Crap I just deleted the list. And I have no idea.

Ditto.

Perhaps finding a correlation between area and lactose intolerance or the acceptability of certain non-cow milk alternatives?

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
North Carolina, USA

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage (coffee)
Other? Please describe.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk
1% milk

skim milk
other? specify

Whatever strikes my fancy. I don't like the taste of skim milk.

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Soy drink Yes. I drink soy milk more often than regular milk.
low-lactose milk I've only had it once or twice so I can't say anything about it.
Almond/rice milk Never had it.
Goat milk Don't remember if I've ever had it.
Yogurt drink Never heard of it.

Guesses:
Goat milk
Low lactose milk
Soymilk
Yogurt drink
Almond/rice

Guesses:
Goat milk
Yogurt drink
Almond/rice milk
Low Lactose milk
Soymilk

I think you are doing something completely unrelated to milk. The survey is just to throw us off, and the real topic is something to do with how we answer the questions.

Unique

Australia

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Other? Please describe.

All of the above

full-fat (homo, 4%) cause it tastes better

For non-milk drinkers

For all

Almond/rice milk

Only one I'd recommend out of these, healthiest choice. Soy has a lot of negatives that I've seen personally and a bit of searching around on the net you'll find some disturbing things.

last 3 questions bore me

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've actually been wondering about this thread. There were no conclusions, I need conclusions dammit! :D

Nightning, can you tell us what your research topic was and what conclusions you reached?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I've actually been wondering about this thread. There were no conclusions, I need conclusions dammit! :D

Nightning, can you tell us what your research topic was and what conclusions you reached?

Ummmmm yes! I didn't realize people will keep on doing the survey. Thankie everybody for filling it out. :yes:

The survey is for my marketing class on people's preference and general awareness for milk and milk alternatives, more specifically for goat milk.

The final conclusion is that people in general know virtually nothing about milk alternatives... :D

ps- are you sure you're not a J trin? Conclusions for a P? tsk tsk!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ummmmm yes! I didn't realize people will keep on doing the survey. Thankie everybody for filling it out. :yes:

The survey is for my marketing class on people's preference and general awareness for milk and milk alternatives, more specifically for goat milk.

The final conclusion is that people in general know virtually nothing about milk alternatives... :D

ps- are you sure you're not a J trin? Conclusions for a P? tsk tsk!

I'm lactose intolerant but like milk and dairy so it was interesting and pretty relevant to me, I'm always on the look out for something better ;)

Can you tell us the correct order for Q 8, 9 & 10?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But, but you forgot Llama milk. :doh:

I've read goats milk is the closest to human milk and easier on the digestion than cows milk. My brother is lactose intolerant.

It is an interesting survey you had going.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Texas, USA.

30+ (e.g. daily)

For milk drinkers
Milk with cereal
Milk in beverage
Other? Please describe.
All of the above.

full-fat (homo, 4%)
2% milk

For all

Soy drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk
Yogurt drink

^ I would recommend all of these, as like I enjoy them as well!

Soy drink
Yogurt drink
low-lactose milk
Almond/rice milk
Goat milk

Almond/Rice Milk
Soy Milk
Goat Milk
Yogurt Drink
Low-Lactose Milk

How milk drinkers vs. non-milk drinkers view the milk-drinking world.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I'm lactose intolerant but like milk and dairy so it was interesting and pretty relevant to me, I'm always on the look out for something better ;)

Can you tell us the correct order for Q 8, 9 & 10?
Question 8 is trying to capture your opinion... so there's really no correct order. Different people have different degrees of lactose intolerance.

For people who cannot take any lactose at all. Fortified vegan choices would be the best.

Almond/rice milk does not resemble hormones in the body so if for some strange reason you wish to drink an enormous quality of it... it'll be a better choice than soy. However it is more expensive than soy and it's can be quite watery. (more like flavored water than milk) You probably don't want to use it for baking.

Soy is less expensive than almond/rice milk but it's still relatively expensive compared to the other choices. I know people are concern in terms of the estrogen thing... but you need to drink a lot (like half litre or more everyday) for it to cause detectable hormone imbalance. It's really not much of a concern. Make sure you get fortified soy milk though, otherwise you're not really getting the vitamins and minerals.

For people who can handle some lactose.

Goat milk would be the best choice is you don't mind the very slight aftertaste. If you like chocolate milk... add some chocolate syrup to it and the aftertaste is pretty much completely covered up. After a while you probably get use to the taste. Also don't heat it up... the smell gets stronger if you denature the milk proteins with heat. Fortified goat milk has more vitamins and less fat than cows milk. :)

For low lactose milk, I've never personally tried it. But people say it doesn't really taste like normal milk. More like water? I don't recommend it...

Yogurt is in a separate category. Now they come with with this new probiotic stuff which is suppose to be easier to digest and is better for you. I didn't taste any difference between that and good old regular yogurt... although for sure they add in a ton more sugar in yogurt as compared to milk. The price of yogurt is actually not that much different than soy milk if you compare by volume... it can be even more expensive depending on the type.

Also another thing with lactose intolerance is that you can build up the amount of enzyme you have. If you slowly increase the amount of milk you drink... your body adapts. :)

But, but you forgot Llama milk. :doh:

I've read goats milk is the closest to human milk and easier on the digestion than cows milk. My brother is lactose intolerant.
Llama?!? You need to grab that llama for me and get me a sample then :D

Yeah... They used to give goat milk for infants who can't digest breast milk... that has now been replaced by synthetic formula. Nutritional value for fortified goat milk is also better than cows milk. It's mostly just the pre-conception people have of the taste and smell of it that turns people off.

We did a blind taste test and people couldn't tell one was goat milk. ;)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
nightning, do you know anything about Taro (potato milk)? It was recommended to me recently but I can't find it anywhere. Supposedly it's closer to the consistency of real dairy than even soy milk. It would be a good choice for us since we're cutting out all casein (which is in goat milk as well).

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a fan of goat's milk, and especially goat's milk cheese. We have a lot varieties in France.

When I was 14 years old, I spent a whole summer looking after a little herd of goats in the Cévennes. Each morning, we had to milk some of them, it was quite entertaining...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm a fan of goat's milk, and especially goat's milk cheese. We have a lot varieties in France.

When I was 14 years old, I spent a whole summer looking after a little herd of goats in the Cévennes. Each morning, we had to milk some of them, it was quite entertaining...

"A nice goat cheese would top that off well. The French word for that is "chèvre." They crack me up. They still had to milk a goat."
--Christopher Walken

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
"A nice goat cheese would top that off well. The French word for that is "chèvre." They crack me up. They still had to milk a goat."
--Christopher Walken

Well, unlike cows, goats are never passive when you try to milk them. Some even have a very bad temper, each animal is unique. That's why I said it was quite... entertaining... :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
nightning, do you know anything about Taro (potato milk)? It was recommended to me recently but I can't find it anywhere. Supposedly it's closer to the consistency of real dairy than even soy milk. It would be a good choice for us since we're cutting out all casein (which is in goat milk as well).
Actually no... this is the first time I've heard about potato milk. The taro I know of is a plant. Chinese eat the root of it. Taro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We definitely don't have potato milk around here. I tried googling taro milk... the only hit I get is taro milk tea... Which is like taro flavored milk tea... you're still using normal cow milk as the base. Yeah I don't know what else it might be.

Well, unlike cows, goats are never passive when you try to milk them. Some even have a very bad temper, each animal is unique. That's why I said it was quite... entertaining... :)
Hah! I've never thought about that... sounds like fun :D