• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

happy pill withdrawal

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, how do you know you're still not dreaming? :unsure:
I don't even need drugs to have that happen... :(

Sometimes I feel like an outsider on the web, because I have never taken anything like this. Not even considered it, never needed anything diagnosed or prescribed. I can't imagine being on a zoloft-like drug.
I didn't want it, it was basically forced on me after a certain incident. Apparently my "depression" is not chemical. As I told them, I'm just brutally realistic; their fantasy world where everyone is happy all the time is what is bad.

Am I the odd one out here?
I avoid medicine whenever possible, particularly mind-altering ones, since I live in my mind. I would rather fix the underlying problem than take drugs. We're remarkably resilient and have operated successfully for thousands of known generations without these drugs, so our problems are clearly either a new outside influence or they're trying to drug some of us up to make everyone the same. Do we really want to support either of these through taking drugs?

ygolo

My termites win
Yes, how do you know you're still not dreaming? :unsure:

I don't know. How can I ever know?

If I were dreaming, why couldn't things be more pleasant? :violin:

Sometimes I feel like an outsider on the web, because I have never taken anything like this. Not even considered it, never needed anything diagnosed or prescribed. I can't imagine being on a zoloft-like drug.

When I was recovering in hospital from a serious operation I even refused the Morphine because I preferred the pain to having my mood changed.

-Geoff

Initially, I didn't want to take any pills either, but I was persuaded that this was the better course of action. Now I am on pills to avoid withdrawal, and till my Doctors say it is OK.

I wish I could get off the Paxil because I want my imagination back!

I think I still have my imagination, but I do feel significantly dumber on Effexor.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I still have my imagination, but I do feel significantly dumber on Effexor.

I'm off Effexor, but I am on Adderall to counter the drowsiness caused by Paxil. If I don't take my Adderall, I become tired all day. (Although, I normally take naps during the day.)

Imagination is just something I worry about losing. I worry about people perceiving me as unimaginative and then I start to second-guess myself. (Even INTJs are insecure.)

I guess I value imagination so much is because when reality becomes too hard to bear, my imagination is always there for me. But sometimes I helplessly come out of that state of fantasy and feel desperate to get back in.

ygolo

My termites win
I am curious, how long does it take for depression to lift? I've actively been trying to lift my depression now for over a year (though I think I have had dysthymina for most of my life).

I have been on various doses of Lexapro, then on various doses of Effexor XR. They help for a while, but then seem to do absolutely nothing after a while, and I go back to feeling like most of the world has written me off as a looser (it takes constant observation, and reality checking to fight these thoughts).

Anyone actually get better with pills and therapy? I know "relief" is 70%-90% perecent, but I find this "relief" to be incredibly temporary.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I am curious, how long does it take for depression to lift? I've actively been trying to lift my depression now for over a year (though I think I have had dysthymina for most of my life).

I have been on various doses of Lexapro, then on various doses of Effexor XR. They help for a while, but then seem to do absolutely nothing after a while, and I go back to feeling like most of the world has written me off as a looser (it takes constant observation, and reality checking to fight these thoughts).

Anyone actually get better with pills and therapy? I know "relief" is 70%-90% perecent, but I find this "relief" to be incredibly temporary.

:hug:

With that out of the way, I did feel relief fairly quickly the first time I used antidepressants for depression (not counting the Duke study I was in, that was for social phobia and they purposefully selected participants who were NOT depressed). This time it's taking a bit longer, but I'm feeling some relief after something like 2-3 months. It sounds like cognitive therapy would really help you, maybe in conjunction with the antidepressants? IDK, I'm not an expert or anything, but it sounds like you have lots of the "automatic thinking" that cognitive therapy is good for. (Although it also sounds like maybe you've done cognitive therapy before from how you describe fighting your automatic thoughts.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm with Wolf, I'm more interested in understanding the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug with pills.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm with Wolf, I'm more interested in understanding the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug with pills.

That's nice for the two of you. I'm in favor of understanding the problem and using medication if necessary to help correct it.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP

I have been fighting depression for 8rys now, various anti depressants that only give temporary relief before yet again I need to talk about increasing the dose. Loads of counselling through the years, then about 6 months of being ok followed by a great big sinking again.

I had a brief psychotherapy thing last year before quitting it, one because they diagnosed me and I didn't like the diagnosis, and two because they said that going further along the route of mental health help woud impact badly on my alternative career plans, so I just quit it. Maybe if I hadn't quit it I wouldn't be sinking yet again, and considering drugs to get by.

ygolo

My termites win
I have been fighting depression for 8rys now, various anti depressants that only give temporary relief before yet again I need to talk about increasing the dose. Loads of counselling through the years, then about 6 months of being ok followed by a great big sinking again.

This sounds similar to my normal cycle before I decided to seek help. Each time I sank, it seemmed to be deeper and longer lasting. So I finally decided this was having way too detrimental an effect on me.

Thanks for the virtual hug. :hug:

IDK, I'm not an expert or anything, but it sounds like you have lots of the "automatic thinking" that cognitive therapy is good for. (Although it also sounds like maybe you've done cognitive therapy before from how you describe fighting your automatic thoughts.)

Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy is what I was recommended. Along with trying to place a check on my automatic thoughts, I also learned breathing techniques, and methods to "place" feelings somewhere in my body to trying to modify them. Also, trying to get more exersize and being more social.

I am trying to beat this thing by any means possible. But quite frankly, this feels like it is going to continue to be a life-long struggle. Maybe I at least reduced how bad things would have become (an optimistic spin, you can't prove otherwise:) )

My main issue with this desputing-my-thinking technique, is that it feels like I am now doing to myself the very thing that upset me when other people did it to me. I feel that I would be a lot less frustrated if people listened to my thoughts and at least entertained their validity, instead of outright dismissing them. It happens from time to time, but I wish I could distiguish what it is that separates the times people listen vs. times they don't.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Choosing to take mood altering drugs is a tough call, but taking an extreme position of never taking medication has its drawbacks as well. People who refuse to take aspirin for a headache or any medicated help at all can be proud of it, but very often the people around them have to take up the slack for their misery. I take medication because it is something "i" can do to solve a problem. More than that, it is recommended by individuals who have devoted their entire lives, time, and energy to understanding the biological humans system (i.e. physicians). In a word, i do trust doctors over personal chit-chat. Even though the medical field has its flaws with the controlling pharmaceutical companies, a doctor's advice is a safer bet than a buddy who doesn't like the idea of taking an aspirin.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Choosing to take mood altering drugs is a tough call, but taking an extreme position of never taking medication has its drawbacks as well. People who refuse to take aspirin for a headache or any medicated help at all can be proud of it, but very often the people around them have to take up the slack for their misery. I take medication because it is something "i" can do to solve a problem. More than that, it is recommended by individuals who have devoted their entire lives, time, and energy to understanding the biological humans system (i.e. physicians). In a word, i do trust doctors over personal chit-chat. Even though the medical field has its flaws with the controlling pharmaceutical companies, a doctor's advice is a safer bet than a buddy who doesn't like the idea of taking an aspirin.

I'm one of those... no aspirins, no drugs, no nothing unless it is really needed. So a week or so ago I trapped a nerve in my back, and gave in and took some strong painkillers (I was unable to walk!) but otherwise I don't touch a thing and have never taken mood altering drugs.

I wonder sometimes if people do have to take up the slack.. i definitely have Seasonally Affected Disorder, so there are 2 or 3 days a year when I am seriously depressed (dark, cloudy short days in Winter).

My main concerns in avoiding treatment are as follows :

1. I'd rather be "me" and continue being me even if it hurts sometimes. I don't like the idea of being submerged beneath a haze or changed attitude because someone else says it is better for me.

2. I'm an NP! NPs carry many "symptoms" that are diagnosed as ill-health by the SJ medical community. Sorry, but it's true....

-Geoff

wyrdsister

MBTI Type
Ape
I'm an NP! NPs carry many "symptoms" that are diagnosed as ill-health by the SJ medical community. Sorry, but it's true....

-Geoff

You got it there. I'm on som pills. I'm sick of being very fat (put on lots of weight) and in a haze. Surely there is an alternative.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you still off the Zoloft?
Still working my way off. I'm taking half a pill and tried to quit, but started getting dizzy and needed to drive long distance sometimes, so am back on a reduced amount.

I don't remember having withdrawl from zoloft, but I could have been weened and don't remember that either. I don't remember much during the time I was on zoloft.

Also I found this article on the Scientific America website Happy Days: Unraveling the Mystery of How Antidepressants Work: Scientific American

Also hope your feeling better.
Thank you for your post - informative and kind. :)

wyrdsister

MBTI Type
Ape
Still working my way off. I'm taking half a pill and tried to quit, but started getting dizzy and needed to drive long distance sometimes, so am back on a reduced amount.

Thank you for your post - informative and kind. :)

Good luck.

:yes:

Usehername

On a mission

When I was recovering in hospital from a serious operation I even refused the Morphine because I preferred the pain to having my mood changed.

-Geoff

Yes, is there a strong correlation between people who struggle with depression and those likely to socialize on message boards? I was not unaware of the prevalence of depression in the general population, but the ratios here seem awfully high.

I've never taken any anti-depressants. A while ago I researched depression to see what exactly would constitute clinical depression, because from talking to a friend's experience I was wondering about two periods in my past and whether or not I was just "down" or actually depressed.
One of the times was possibly due to a serious lack of socialization when I was 18 (sometimes I go 6 weeks without contacting friends and it's no big deal because I don't live alone, but the year I was 18 was outright unhealthy for a lack of social contact).
The time I think I was actually depressed was 14-16; I was dealing with some moderately serious personal issues, was certainly an insomniac (but I didn't tell anyone because when I told my mother, she didn't believe that it took me 5 hours a night to fall asleep and I'd wake up an hour before my alarm) and just had a really crappy few years. Plus the whole adolescent-brain-reorganization going on during this time makes me pretty certain I was depressed. I only wonder b/c I could fake being happy soo well around friends at school. I just stayed in my bedroom the whole time at home, though. Can you give off the impression that everything is fine when you're depressed, or is it impossible with true depression?