• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Overall, are drugs good, or bad, for people?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You can take this question in any sense you wish, but about all psycho-actives collectively.

Drugs have certainly had a big effect on human history--economically, politically, artistically. Lives have been lost over them, lives have been changed by them. Is it arguable that drugs may have been a positive experience in the long run, in that they teach us something about ourselves?

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Maybe drugs are kind of like the "One Ring" of Tolkien. Perhaps for a while you can use them for evil or for good, but eventually they overpower you.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'll hop in. Psychoactive chemicals are a curse and a blessing.

How's that for a definitive answer?

They all have annoying, disabling or life-threatening side-effects. So the natural way seems the best to me. If it is possible.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
She said Or, not AND...

However, many good drugs needed to treat life-threatening illnesses also have psychoactive properties. That being said, I think they're good

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, noz, I was saying that all psychoactive drugs do have at least one of those side-effects, all the way from annoying to life-threatening, depending on the dosage and the individual.

Maybe that makes it more clear?

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
You can take this question in any sense you wish, but about all psycho-actives collectively.

Drugs have certainly had a big effect on human history--economically, politically, artistically. Lives have been lost over them, lives have been changed by them. Is it arguable that drugs may have been a positive experience in the long run, in that they teach us something about ourselves?

I personally think that anyone who uses "any substance" to make themselves feel better has willpower issues and should look at themselves why they need an artificial substance to make them feel good, be happy, be stronger, etc...

I admittedly will over drink once in awhile so I would fall into this category but I am still human. However I am usually annoyed afterwards. Usually I just drink a little as a minor social or to enjoy the taste of beer (yes I actually like the taste more then getting drunk).

I also don't care if people use it as long as it doesn't effect other people. Now that is the million dollar question...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you also talking about antipsychotic drugs, Maabus, or only recreational drugs?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I have a fear of them.. they're sooty and ashy looking to me. I think with softcore drugs, I do not mind if others want to alter their state of minds. I like life just fine as it is.

With hardcore drugs, I do not think I could continue to associate with someone into them, because something expensive and/or so-dependent-inducing would get in the way entirely, imo, of a relationship of any sort with me. I cannot deny what I am against. I do not support the use of drugs (unless medically perscribed by a doctor, and then only used as perscribed.) for recreation. I do not shun people that smoke cigarettes, weed, or pop a pill here and there... but they must know I do not support it either, and I am offended if anyone offers for me to take part in said activity. It's a bit alienating though, admittably...

...but there are worse vices out there than someone who smokes weed. If I judged everyone based on their vices, I'd have no friends and I'd be alone.

My personal belief is that they are distracting, a waste of income I worked hard to get, and they get in the way of progression. This is because I know that this is how they would damage me, so this is why I dislike them.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'd have to go with bad. Too many lives ruined, too many potential geniuses turned to mush-minded drones. Sure the double helix was discovered while all the scientists were tripping on LSD, and every civilization on Earth to come in contact with marijuana has used it either medically, recreationally, or religiously. But that doesn't outweigh the damage its done.

Psychoactives can easily ruin families.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Are you also talking about antipsychotic drugs, Maabus, or only recreational drugs?

dictionary.com's definition

psychoactive. adjective: of or pertaining to a substance having a profound or significant effect on mental processes: a psychoactive drug.

So basically, all the fun ones.

Bah, start of the new page, people aren't going to see my other post. *shakes fist at default 10 reply status*

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

I was mainly going with recreational drugs as it is a willpower issue there.

Antipsychotic drugs is a bit different. I personally don't like anything that changes your brain chemistry in anyway (I'm a brain guy, keep it natural!). In some ways I agree with the Scientoligists that we are over drugging our youths for mental disorders. However, for people with 'unlivable" conditions, then yes, drugs are useful.

I guess that is my bottom line with drugs with the unlivable caveat.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
The most damaging drug to our society is by far beverage alcohol. Quick googles will prove my statement. It is to account for about seventy percent of all divorces, auto deaths, violent acts, incarcerations.

Is that a "soft" drug?

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
The most damaging drug to our society is by far beverage alcohol. Quick googles will prove my statement. It is to account for about seventy percent of all divorces, auto deaths, violent acts, incarcerations.

Is that a "soft" drug?

I included alcohol with my view.

Anything can be abused and alcohol is no different. However the choice to get drunk is a willpower issue (to the point where you no longer have willpower from the alcohol).

However should it be banned from responsible users? It is sorta how I see drugs in general. Problem is at the same time I agree with you, being human means irresponsibility, so the corundum exists.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype

Is that a "soft" drug?

Don't make them question their outmoded ideals of what a "drug" is, you'll challenge their worldview and get defensive ~

You can get piles of hashish at the restaurants in India, and that doesn't ruin any families there. Alcohol, which is illegal there, does however. Maybe it's not the drugs that are doing all that damage to our families and youth.....

Naw, it's gotta be the drugs :p

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Don't make them question their outmoded ideals of what a "drug" is, you'll challenge their worldview and get defensive ~

You can get piles of hashish at the restaurants in India, and that doesn't ruin any families there. Alcohol, which is illegal there, does however. Maybe it's not the drugs that are doing all that damage to our families and youth.....

Naw, it's gotta be the drugs :p

Can't resist, here. ;)

No, it actually enhances family life in India where they still burn widows. They just send em on their toasty way full of hashish. Family problem of supporting an extra woman solved. Heh.

Apologies to OP for derailing.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Sexist too. (Oh thit! I was worried about that.)

*Packs suitcase and prepares to hitch a ride with Jack.*

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Drugs are fun. Much like other fun things, whether it's good or bad depends on whom and when you ask.

Is the questions about drugs' impact on society (as opposed to individual people) ?