• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you eat organic foods?

Do you eat organic foods?

• yes

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • no

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • what's organic?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Uh, I'm only 22, so I don't have to worry about my health yet. Or that's what I tell myself.

I could see myself getting into eating organic and going to the co-op, if I can just get over the terrible taste.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well since I dont have a lot of money, and I don't plan on living more than 65 more years, I don't eat organic.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Since we are having trouble with the term "organic"...

=P

"Organic foods are made according to certain production standards, meaning they are grown without the use of conventional pesticides and artificial fertilizers, free from contamination by human or industrial waste, and processed without ionizing radiation or food additives. If livestock are involved, they must be reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones, and generally fed a healthy diet. In most countries, organic produce may not be genetically modified."

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
For those who do, can I ask a supplementary question. Why?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
There are more nutrients, so yes. I'm attempting to be predominately raw, so organic fruits and vegetables are a must if I want to avoid deficiencies.

I remember reading a very very interesting article from the man that starred as the naturalist from Mad Mad House about his raw food diet. Although I love cooking way too much to convert (both doing and eating it) I remember enough of it to lend me to prefer snacking on raw vegetables instead of buying a can of anything.

For those who do, can I ask a supplementary question. Why?

Hm.. I suppose it's no more the difference between eggland's best eggs and regular store-brand eggs. Just depends on how much you want to get out of your food, where your paranoia's are, etc. I have this mentality "Well, if I'm going to pay $1.something for eggs anyways, I might as well buy some with Omega-3 in them."

As for myself, I go to the farmer's market. When I'm a bit more well-off, I'll join the Farmer Market Organizations where they deliver weekly in-season produce and fruit to your door. I like supporting things like this.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Serious: I don't really think too much about organic or not. I do buy raw fruits and veggies to snack on because they're yummy. Not because I'm all health conscious. I'm one of those people that if it tastes good I'll eat it, regardless of how healthy it is or isn't. I'd be a hypocrit if said I actually worry about my health, because I don't.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'd be a hypocrit if said I actually worry about my health, because I don't.

If I were 19-22 I wouldn't worry about my health either. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted when I was college agged and gained the senior 25. LOL.

Organic is only for you if you believe pesticides and preservatives are bad for you. However, if you use air freshener and other typical household cleaning products or work in an office that uses industrial cleaners and products made of plastic (your phone) and computer monitors that off-gauss (sp?) then you're not really stopping the tidalwave of toxins from coming in.

Also, there are 2 different official standards of organic in the states. I believe that European (or at least French?) standards for 'organic' are MUCH higher than the states.

If you want truly organic and not wonder about where it really came from, you should grow your own fruits and veggies. I may do that even in a condo by terracing.

Eating organic for health reasons is usually part of a larger lifestyle that includes being active in nature, buying 'free trade' items, and being either neo-rustic Americana, yuppie, exotic bohemian or a combination of all three.

I was just thinking how limited pre-set lifestyles are in the states and it slightly depressed me.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I mean we all have to die some time, and if it's sooner then later, so what I'm sure I'll have lived a pretty full life by the time whenever I die. I just don't want to live too long.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm with Cze Cze on the aspects of a rigid lifestyle. It causes disruption in any number of ways. I try to eat homegrown fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Buy locally. Try to avoid items which have preservatives or other chemicals in them. (Most household tasks can be accomplished with vinegar, bleach, other common substances.)

But I'm not a slave to the habit. It cracks me up when I see people in the supermarkets turning a quick job into an afternoon's work fussing over ingredients and process. As mentoned, it's nearly unavoidable to come into contact with any number of unhealthy things.

And, as a hostess, I find it aggravating to host a number of people who have to make a big deal out of what they will and won't eat. This number is on the rise and they can be pretty militant about it. Puhleeze. When I'm invited somewhere I eat what looks most healthy to me and sometimes I splurge and eat something which isn't. But I find it uneccessary to go into a dissertation about my special needs. Or to put my hostess through the third degree about her cooking ingredients or methods.

When I host I try to provide a large variety of sugar-free items and other healthy foods mixed in with the all-kindsa-stuff-that's-not-good-for-you-but-great-to-eat stuff.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm with Cze Cze on the aspects of a rigid lifestyle. It causes disruption in any number of ways. I try to eat homegrown fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Buy locally. Try to avoid items which have preservatives or other chemicals in them. (Most household tasks can be accomplished with vinegar, bleach, other common substances.)

But I'm not a slave to the habit. It cracks me up when I see people in the supermarkets turning a quick job into an afternoon's work fussing over ingredients and process. As mentoned, it's nearly unavoidable to come into contact with any number of unhealthy things.

And, as a hostess, I find it aggravating to host a number of people who have to make a big deal out of what they will and won't eat. This number is on the rise and they can be pretty militant about it. Puhleeze. When I'm invited somewhere I eat what looks most healthy to me and sometimes I splurge and eat something which isn't. But I find it uneccessary to go into a dissertation about my special needs. Or to put my hostess through the third degree about her cooking ingredients or methods.

When I host I try to provide a large variety of sugar-free items and other healthy foods mixed in with the all-kindsa-stuff-that's-not-good-for-you-but-great-to-eat stuff.

doesn't stress cause health problems as well? I mean if you're going to stress yourself out about being healthy is really doing any good. I mean don't beat yourself up because you did something unhealthy, it's called life and it's meant to be enjoyed. And we aren't meant to live forever.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
"Being healthy" can be a militant thing. It takes a strong J to do it.

Did you ever see the wife swap episode where the vegan mom switches with the Creole bayou family? The alligator raising family was so much more in touch with the land, with their home, so much more sensible and empathetic about where people come from, more relaxed and happy -- it was really highlighting how close-minded, rigid, controlling, self-focused, and self-righteous the CA hippie mom was.

All that ^^ is partially why Rachel Ray and some other gurus are popular, their attitude is more relaxed and "anyone can live better".

In the end, people really do just want to enjoy their lives.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No, as a personal opinion, I don't think it matters, as long as I eat healthy, and excercise, for now, I'm ok. I think it's annoying when a lot of people go organic as a sort of...social occasion. I feel a lot of people fake it..they only do it so they can look good, and stuff like that. I think one should only go organic if they truly believe in it, and look towards the benefits of it. People need to start thinking/feeling as individuals! LIFE IS NOT A SOCIAL OCCASION!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what life?! is a social occasion. I'm sorry but it is, for the most part yes it is, if it wasn't then death wouldn't be a big deal. but at the same time, i can see where you're coming from don't do something because everyone else is. I mean I don't know, but it is a social occasion, and that doesn't mean you can't live life as you choose. I can't explain why it is, it just is.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
what life?! is a social occasion. I'm sorry but it is, for the most part yes it is, if it wasn't then death wouldn't be a big deal. but at the same time, i can see where you're coming from don't do something because everyone else is. I mean I don't know, but it is a social occasion, and that doesn't mean you can't live life as you choose. I can't explain why it is, it just is.

You don't find meaning in life? It's just a social occasion where the most popular, strong, and richest rule? I don't think you undertood what I ment- social occasion as in trends, and whatnot. and if I did understand what I ment, our veiws are highly different.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
who said i wanted to socializes with the richest and strongest and most popular? it is a social occasion, to me meaning of life is what someone came up with to not off themselves when life gets tough. WHy not think about the people you care about and think about how killing yourself would affect them? I mean I guess you can make your life have meaning but their is no universal meaning to life. except be born and die and that's not even meaning that just is.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Are inorganic substances even edible? I haven't tried to eat any rocks lately.

pwned....

Maybe you should have clarified what you meant by "organic", because everything I consume in my Banquet TV dinners is *gasp* from an ORGANIC ORGANISM OMFG

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
who said i wanted to socializes with the richest and strongest and most popular? it is a social occasion, to me meaning of life is what someone came up with to not off themselves when life gets tough. WHy not think about the people you care about and think about how killing yourself would affect them? I mean I guess you can make your life have meaning but their is no universal meaning to life. except be born and die and that's not even meaning that just is.

The meaning is what you want it to be..and how can you call it a social occasion? Maybe my definition of a social occasion is different than yours. I know many people picture life as a social occasion, but what I'm getting at is that, life doesn't have any particular meaning, but many meanigs, of how different people veiw it. To say it's a social occasion is basically controdicting itself, or just your personal opinion. What I had ment is that people should stop looking at life as a social occasion..find some meaning in it, because when you just go along following everyone else, don't second guess anything, and don't feel anything, you've lost the soul in life. To some people, that's what they want..and if that's what you want, go for it. It's your meaning.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't go along with everyone else. SHeesh! I also don't rebel either.but its a SOCIAL OCCASION! social occasion does not mean I don't think or feel or blindly follow, but yeah most of life is spent working or going to school and lots of times with people. then even if you're an introvert you probably occasionally go out. You live because you care about someone even if it's just your self. Not because of some lame ass enlightenment, but because life is meant to be enjoyed, their is no heaven no hell no reincarnation to be had. just this life, and I'll be damned if I don't enjoy it fully.