• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pilates?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm going to a pilates class today. :)

Have anybody had any experience with Pilates?
What do you think of it?
Is it really as good as they say it is?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I added a Pilates class to my gym program about a month ago and I must say it’s effen tough but I felt positive results pretty much straight away. Seems worth it to me.

G'luck.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I tried out yoga once at the local gym and vowed not to try anything like that EVER again, but I was just misguided.

Pilates/yoga are something that we should learn in steps in order to slowly train the muscle. The more complex stretches can be quite intimidating.

I tried some pilates from a dance class, and all I can say is, "Wow." I LOVE pilates!! It really sculpts your body like nothing.

Have fun/enjoy it as much as you can! Once you learn the basic steps, you can do it at home to your fav. music! Enjoy. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ See now yoga I LOVE! But I find the two very different as I use a reformer bed for Pilates, yoga for me is about core strength and concentration while Pilates is more like an active workout because of the reformer bed. Prolly should have mentioned that :doh:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yoga and Pilates are completely different in terms of breath -- one uses the diaphragm the other uses the lungs. It therefore engages (core) muscles differently. Yoga is essentially about breath and perhaps a flexible spine. Pilates incorporates Yoga but seems to me is more about strength (more so than flexibility) and rehabilitation. I've taken classes in both -- I never got on the reformer though, because they make it seem like you have to master the floor work first.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
True. I totally forgot to mention that! I can imagine yoga to be really nice to get into as well.

I really need to take a beginner's yoga class. The one I got into was advanced. People were doing some complex moves that made me feel crippled the next day like a train ran over it. My body needs the gradual progression.

Anyway, it's fun to try new things! If you're in pain the next day- potassium (banana helps- if you're not a banana person like me- blend it with strawberries & yogurt- you get the benefits of antioxidants, Vit. C, enzymes for your skin, fiber, and a natural remedy to reduce the burn). G'Luck & FUN! :p

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Yoga and Pilates are completely different in terms of breath -- one uses the diaphragm the other uses the lungs. It therefore engages (core) muscles differently. Yoga is essentially about breath and perhaps a flexible spine. Pilates incorporates Yoga but seems to me is more about strength (more so than flexibility) and rehabilitation. I've taken classes in both -- I never got on the reformer though, because they make it seem like you have to master the floor work first.

Does Pilates use the diaphragm? Just interested. Because then I would actually be more interested again.
I've done a mixture of Pilates and Power yoga (and Tai-chi) for a while and am more drawn to pick up yoga now, but this makes me think there is some to Pilates as well. My midriff could use more symmetry as you know.

Soileh

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Years ago I went to a yoga class that was just brutal. You left in ruins, best work-out EVER! But the guy left, and never found another instructor like that again, so I kinda left off.

Never liked Pilates much

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I've tried both yoga and pilates but found them too boring and felt sleepy. They will kick your ass though and the next day *ouch*. What did you think?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Yogalates - combines best of both. Really good for de-stressing too.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I, too, enjoy the combo yoga-pilates. I should get back on that...

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I enjoyed my first pilates class! :) I didn't even notice how fast the time went during the class. I had some difficulties with some of the movements but most of time I managed ok. :D The next day it really felt like I've done something and used some muscles I haven't been using lately.....:cheese:

But really, it felt good and I inted to continue my exploration in the world of pilates.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've been planning on starting a beginner's yoga class in January. Yesterday I told my GP and she said she thought I'd benefit more from pilates. So this thread caught my eye.

It's blasted cold here this winter and I'm not doing much outdoors. I'd thought yoga would be good to maintain flexibility and strenth.

I hope you'll all say more about your experiences.

Your tip about potassium sounds good, Viv. Regarding the muscle stiffness. I told doc that I eat a couple nearly everyday (Thinking in terms of heart health) and she said that was about the worst fruit I could eat! Said only two or three a week would be better. Hmm. Potassium supplements?

I take glucosamine chondroitin and that seems to help with the joint stiffness for me.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe because bananas have so much natural sugar, and sugar encourages inflammation, and inflammation is bad for your joints?

I like Kate Potter's Vinyasa flow yoga. I can't do a lot of it but I do the parts I can.
kate potter yoga namaste tv show

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's interesting about sugar and joints. Didn't know that. Maybe doc said that because I've been cutting down on sugars of all types. Had no idea how addictive refined sugar is.

Never had much of a sugar habit but I developed one this Spring and it was definitely difficult weaning myself from it. Cravings!

The classes I'm thinking of taking are basic Hatha yoga. Really gotta get myself educated on this. Know very little.

Hope there isn't a meditative component because I don't do really well with some types of meditation. Busy, busy brain.

Or. Well. Maybe an opportunity?

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do pilates.

I started doing them again at home yesterday... I bought myself a stretch mat last year September and... I used it until like January February... and I use it for the odd stretch but, yesterday, I got back into using it properly and doing my pilates at home, was cool.