• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"fake" meats

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"fake" meats

So I wondered, how many of you have tried some of those fake meat substitutes? Did you like them? Do you think if you eat this you qualify as a real vegetarian/vegan?

I have had some of the morning star bacon and such, it is actually really good. That's just my opinion though. XD

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=30038]The Cat[/MENTION] okay I am sorry I thought I was still in health and fitness. I didn't mean to make this in home and garden omfg. SOS [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] XD

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Ive had black bean burgers. Not really a fan. I mean, if I was at someones house and thats what they gave me Id eat one to be polite probably, but they are kinda dry and just not really fun or enjoyable for me.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why wouldn't you be a real vegan or vegetarian if you eat 'fake meat'?

I have heard a few online suggest that those who do it are more likely to eventually quit the diet or that they don't understand the heart of it if they eat substitutes. I was wondering the general consensus. XD

- - - Updated - - -

Never tried it but if the taste is the same I would stop eating animal meat.

morning star soy bacon.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I wondered, how many of you have tried some of those fake meat substitutes? Did you like them? Do you think if you eat this you qualify as a real vegetarian/vegan?

I have had some of the morning star bacon and such, it is actually really good. That's just my opinion though. XD

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=30038]The Cat[/MENTION] okay I am sorry I thought I was still in health and fitness. I didn't mean to make this in home and garden omfg. SOS [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] XD
I grew up eating a lot of these and sometimes do still. There is no meat content so you are vegetarian eating them. Some taste really bad and some are okay. The super links seem pretty good to me for hot dog substitute. The Boca Burger crumbles work in spaghetti sauce and tacos I think.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’ve had boca burgers, tofu, fake chicken nuggets, etc. Not a fan, they always upset my stomach.

I tried out a fully balanced vegetarian diet & still ended up anemic. It just doesn’t agree with me. I eat red meat like, once a year as it is. I get humanely sourced poultry & fish more often than not, so I’m at peace with my choices.

No, I don’t think people who eat meat substitutes aren’t true vegetarians/vegans. They’ve still cut out animal flesh & other animal products from their diets, & that’s the main thing.

If meat grown in a lab became widely available & affordable/had the same nutrient profile, I’d definitely go for that over my current staples.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I’ve had boca burgers, tofu, fake chicken nuggets, etc. Not a fan, they always upset my stomach.

I tried out a fully balanced vegetarian diet & still ended up anemic. It just doesn’t agree with me. I eat red meat like, once a year as it is. I get humanely sourced poultry & fish more often than not, so I’m at peace with my choices.

No, I don’t think people who eat meat substitutes aren’t true vegetarians/vegans. They’ve still cut out animal flesh & other animal products from their diets, & that’s the main thing.

If meat grown in a lab became widely available & affordable/had the same nutrient profile, I’d definitely go for that over my current staples.

Yay for humane meat alternatives!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be glad to hear it. I was raised vegetarian and value it, but I have some issues with my muscles hair and fingernails that implies I don't absorb protein that well, so have been eating white meats. I'd be happy with lab meats or other options for sure. I was so skinny when young that doctors thought I was anorexic. I do eat a lot of beans but they make me a little sick to my stomach.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Bocca Burgers also upset my stomach. But there are so many other brands that don't. I've found as I get older, I can't eat the amount of meat I once did. 4 oz usually at the most.

I like Morning Star Grillers. I also like their Buffalo chicken nuggets. But the frozen brand I like best is Gardein. I use the beef crumbles, Mandarin Crispy Chick'n, Sichuan beefless strips. We have Beyond Burgers often and Benevolent Bacon is the best bacon.

But I've been getting into making my own stuff and so far, that's the best for texture and taste. I was blown away when I made this.

I don't have any plans to become vegan but certainly flexitarian. We still eat chicken, and fish and occasionally beef and tons of veg.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why shouldn't you count as vegan/vegetarian when you eat those? I really don't get that question.... :wacko: Anyhow, seitan is among the best meat substances. It doesn't have a very specific flavour and you can easily make it taste like whatever you want. Tofu, tempeh or soya cubes are classics, altough soya is pretty high in hormones. That's why I advise against it, or at least try to limit its consumption.

When it comes to the new trendy fake meats, I think that Beyond Meat is pretty legit. I've made a several burgers with that and it tasted really great, it has a real beafy taste to it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No thanks, if it has a similar taste and texture to meat I'm not interested. But people's individual reasons for being veg*n matter. Personally, the taste/texture is a big part of what I'm avoiding by not eating meat, wouldn't make me a carnivore if I ate faux animal products though and I like that there are so many choices these days for those who do want to.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I haven't had a meat substitute for that I enjoyed. I love tofu though!

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A nope for me, nothing is the same. Taste, texture, nor even fullness.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Here the general opinion is eat real meat or don't eat meat at all. With what I actually agree, especially since the key is in "dosage".
Plus we eat a fair amount if dairy products and we have pretty good fish dishes. So there is no real need for these kinds of experiments.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius has been vegetarian pretty much all his life. If he wasn't such a rubbish cook he would be a vegan, and is sometimes an accidental vegan. He only really eat fake meat when he has vegetarian Full English Breakfast, not because he has problem with fake meat but rather he just finds it easier to have Indian, Chinese, Italian food just without the meat.

WileStyle

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
I haven't had a meat substitute for that I enjoyed. I love tofu though!

Tofu is by far my healthiest substitute for meat whenever I make dishes that needed pork or beef. It can even be used as a substitute for fish. :thumbup: