User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Are masks a part of health theater

Are they?

Lot of practices were promoted to fight terrorism as a way to promote awareness of terrorism. Many of them were ineffective in every way except in promoting awareness, and these kinds of practices were named as a part of security theater.

Are we doing a health theater now with some of our practices?

Masks might help with raising awareness. Given how ineffective they are, will people soon grow tired of using them, and skeptical of their value? Is the guideline for using masks a part of the health theater?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    285 so/sp

I'm asking this is the least accusatory way possible: are you asking this in good faith?

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

For what they’ve become and seem to represent outside of their usefulness, yes I would say so. Why must I wear a mask if I’m walking outside in a parking lot with no one around me? Why must I wear one when walking alone on a park trail?

Do I have a problem wearing one indoors where people are generally more in close proximity, not at all. They serve a purpose, but it’s gotten so ridiculous in many cases where Karens will use them as a power play over noncompliance. The reverse is also equally ridiculous to be clear. Not wearing one inside a grocery store as some middle finger to “the man” is just as much theatrical drama.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    Given how effective they are
    Fixed.

Think.

Likes Vendrah liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

They are effective in that they help reduce infections by holding back a fair share of droplets and aerosols. That much has been proven.

As for when and where you wear them, obviously they also have the added benefit of serving as a visual reminder that there is a pandemic going on and people should observe safety measures. Indoors and in open places where people stand very closely together like bus stops or farmers markets, etc they make a lot of sense. Alone in a forest, not so much.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes Red Memories, Vendrah liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    They are effective in that they help reduce infections by holding back a fair share of droplets and aerosols. That much has been proven.

Some people can't understand that. I'm starting to wonder if some care more about how they look while wearing a mask, than actually getting the job done.
    Think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    For what they’ve become and seem to represent outside of their usefulness, yes I would say so. Why must I wear a mask if I’m walking outside in a parking lot with no one around me? Why must I wear one when walking alone on a park trail?

Do I have a problem wearing one indoors where people are generally more in close proximity, not at all. They serve a purpose, but it’s gotten so ridiculous in many cases where Karens will use them as a power play over noncompliance. The reverse is also equally ridiculous to be clear. Not wearing one inside a grocery store as some middle finger to “the man” is just as much theatrical drama.
    I never wear a mask in a parking lot or on a walking trail. Never heard anyone tell me to put on a mask then either. Why would you need one on when alone?

One group of people is wearing masks. One group is resorting to violence and death threats against wearing a mask. Which one of these look like theatrics and drama?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Stigmata, Burner liked this post

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I never wear a mask in a parking lot or on a walking trail. Never heard anyone tell me to put on a mask then either. Why would you need one on when alone?

One group of people is wearing masks. One group is resorting to violence and death threats against wearing a mask. Which one of these look like theatrics and drama?
    Some jurisdictions spread throughout California require them any time you are out in public regardless of crowd density or lack thereof. I don’t live in such place thank goodness.

As far as theatrics, it isn’t so clear cut. I’ve seen videos of random people causing unnecessary commotion over having to wear a mask, that’s silly, but it also isn’t too farfetched to see how much the media has played a role in setting the stage, pointing to non mask wearers as “grandma killers”. Persist with the narrative long enough and the potential for paranoia emerges with people starting to turn against one another.

The movie, “The Mist” comes to mind where the crazed religious woman stirs everyone up within the baracaded grocery store. People’s fear of the unknown overtakes reason and the mob is born. Am I suggesting we’re at this point? No, but there’s something to take away from the threat, fear can instill.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

MBTI
    ExFx
    Enneagram
    2 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I never wear a mask in a parking lot or on a walking trail. Never heard anyone tell me to put on a mask then either. Why would you need one on when alone? One group of people is wearing masks. One group is resorting to violence and death threats against wearing a mask. Which one of these look like theatrics and drama?
    There are asinine people who will pull over and tell you to put a mask on while walking in your neighborhood. Here anyway. But I never said people here aren't rude either.
    The biggest problem is many youngsters in america here believe the mask FULLY protects not just others but THEM. I am regularly reminding people close to me that you have to keep social distancing best you can and washing your hands. The mask doesn't do much if you are standing right on top of me. Or you're hugging someone. They see the mask as their way to do all the other stuff they weren't supposed to do. It annoys me greatly.
    Even the CDC says you need to follow distancing still. It helps keep droplets minimized but some will still escape through the cloth covering s and such around here.
    Distancing is the truly foolproof way. Make sure you don't get on top of people. And give nasty glares to people who do it to you like I do. Lol.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I wear a mask to public transport & to work just to be supportive of authorities. They say it's responsible to show example in something that's marketed as responsible, so .. uh.

I'm actually just cosplaying a responsible person. Funny play tho, I enjoy it.

WHAT, DO YOU MEAN THAT THE MASKS WORK

.. my enjoyment is gone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]