User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1dw sp/so

Default Workout regimens in quarantide

What have y'all been up to these past four months?

Discounting this past month, better known as Let's Not Talk About It, It Sucked™, I've been mostly doing bodyweight exercise challenges. Getting back into running, slowly but surely, as I get less agoraphobic and gain running buddies (two friends in my house's closed loop). Hoping - perhaps with too much optimism? - to buy some equipment and start using it at home in the next few weeks or so.

The challenges I've done (with significant modifications, or only doing part of them):

30-Day Core Challenge | ACTIVE

The 31-Day Burpee Plan | Fitness | MyFitnessPal

Circuit Workout: Do This Daily for 7 Days to Get Big Gains | Spartan Race

Currently doing the "7x4 challenge" in the annoying-but-effective "Female Fitness" app. Which I wouldn't have chosen, but I'm doing it with my housemate, so. Her call.
    ”We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous.”

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1dw + sp/so + 14? tritype (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes Luminous, MovinOut liked this post

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

I admire that you're doing those workouts!

I hate exercises like that and I can't force myself to do them. I am best at committing to a exercise routine involving something I enjoy, which is largely dance and/or aerobics. I've been primarily doing belly dancing for an hour most days for the past few months. I love that it works abdominal and butt muscles without doing traditional crunches and such. I love it so much I wind up practising belly rolls while I'm doing other things and was tempted to do them while waiting in line at the store.
    нєισтяσριc
    Likes EJCC, MovinOut, red_evening_apple liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1dw sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post

I hate exercises like that and I can't force myself to do them. I am best at committing to a exercise routine involving something I enjoy, which is largely dance and/or aerobics. I've been primarily doing belly dancing for an hour most days for the past few months. I love that it works abdominal and butt muscles without doing traditional crunches and such. I love it so much I wind up practising belly rolls while I'm doing other things and was tempted to do them while waiting in line at the store.
    This was me for a long time, with running (trail and road) and bouldering/rock climbing. But then:

1. I had to go to PT because my muscles were developing unevenly and I developed arm numbness and a pop in my neck (from climbing) and knee pain (from running).
    2. I had to stop running and rock climbing due to quarantine.

Have had to rebuild from scratch, and make sure to do it in such a way that I'm not overdeveloping any particular muscles at the cost of others.

Edit: also, I am unfortunately both a rock/metal fan and white, and therefore have two strikes against my dance ability.

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Edit: also, I am unfortunately both a rock/metal fan and white, and therefore have two strikes against my dance ability.
    I am also. if it's fun, do it! We all get better with practice.
    нєισтяσριc
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1dw sp/so

I am also. if it's fun, do it! We all get better with practice.
    Hah, now I'm trying to imagine punk rock workout videos. Would it just be flailing around?

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Hah, now I'm trying to imagine punk rock workout videos. Would it just be flailing around?
    LOL that is how someone I know refers to some of the videos I do. Exactly that phrase.

нєισтяσριc
    Likes EJCC, Black Sun liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    496 sx/sp

I've been doing a lot of stretching with a goal to do splits in each direction and to also regain my back extension flexibility I had when younger. I have some interest in exploring aerial dance after the pandemic because there are local classes. I was crazy flexible when younger, and so some may not regain all of it, but would like enough to try that style of dance.

I also have been bellydancing from before all of this for a couple of years, but I'm so lucky my original studio in the Southwest offers zoom classes during the pandemic, so I get to work with my favorite teachers. They added two new Tuesday classes, and I've been taking a choreography class on Wednesdays, a burlesque bellydance style level 2 techniques on Thursday, a tribal style on Friday, and a Raqs Sharqi classes on Saturday, and a zills class on Sunday, but sometimes I've been having headaches. I also teach an intro bellydance class on Saturday mornings.

It is such a natural style that it never stresses my muscles like traditional exercise, but allows for the natural flow of the neuromuscular system. I put pressure on myself to want to develop faster, but I feel good about being comfortable following along in up to level 2 classes. The studio's level 3 classes are still a bit difficult for me, but I've come a long way. That is their highest level.

I'm trying to learn a combo to participate in the studios montage class video. It is a meaningful challenge for me to be a part of it. I have until July 9 to get it submitted.

Circus life under the big top world
    We all need the clowns to make us smile
    Through space and time, always another show
    Wondering where I am, lost without you

Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    641 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Si

I relate, I find it hard to partake in challenges like that; I find myself only able to commit to something I enjoy. It's cool that the OP is able to keep at something like that.

The only workout program I've ever enjoyed doing was martial arts. I used to do it for 6-11 hours a week before the quarantine. My world felt like it shattered once the school closed due to quarantine. It was an intense fullbody workout that I truly looked forward to almost every day.

I've been trying to practice on my own. The school I go to provides biweekly online classes, but they're quite unenjoyable and I find them to be ineffective in me learning the moves or even working a sweat. Better than nothing, I guess.

My parents bought me a grappling dummy as a graduation present. I've been trying to spar and wrestle with it a few times a week, practicing drills and such. Better for me than the classes, but still not enough.

Other than that, I've only been doing shitty YouTube exercise videos for about 10-30 minutes every other day as an attempt to keep my stomach flat. Sometimes going on walks. Weirdly enough, I haven't been gaining weight since the quarantine. I actually lost ten pounds but I guess that might have been muscle.
    Likes Luminous, EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by movinout View Post
    I relate, I find it hard to partake in challenges like that; I find myself only able to commit to something I enjoy. It's cool that the OP is able to keep at something like that.

The only workout program I've ever enjoyed doing was martial arts. I used to do it for 6-11 hours a week before the quarantine. My world felt like it shattered once the school closed due to quarantine. It was an intense fullbody workout that I truly looked forward to almost every day.

I've been trying to practice on my own. The school I go to provides biweekly online classes, but they're quite unenjoyable and I find them to be ineffective in me learning the moves or even working a sweat. Better than nothing, I guess.

My parents bought me a grappling dummy as a graduation present. I've been trying to spar and wrestle with it a few times a week, practicing drills and such. Better for me than the classes, but still not enough.

Other than that, I've only been doing shitty YouTube exercise videos for about 10-30 minutes every other day as an attempt to keep my stomach flat. Sometimes going on walks. Weirdly enough, I haven't been gaining weight since the quarantine. I actually lost ten pounds but I guess that might have been muscle.
    Hope you'll be able to find better online classes. Maybe you can find better ones you have to pay for, since you're no longer going to in person classes?
    нєισтяσριc
    Likes EJCC, MovinOut liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    641 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Hope you'll be able to find better online classes. Maybe you can find better ones you have to pay for, since you're no longer going to in person classes?
    Thank you. I don't know if paying for online classes would be super helpful since it's difficult to learn martial arts without being able to practice with a living being, and even so, it seems like a lot of schools around me are not accepting new students even if they are just meeting online.
    Likes Luminous liked this post