• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Losing the Weight -- How?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What exactly is "lots and lots of exercise?"

You are probably an ectomorph, so you have a very high metabolism.

Yeah, I had already looked into that. I guess that might explain some things...

It all comes down to calories consumed during the day. You obviously aren't getting enough. Try adding in 2 PB&J sandwiches at night, every night. Or...get weight gainer powder and make at least 1 shake a day. If this isn't enough, add more.

It's really hard to consume enough calories. I don't know if I can get myself to eat two of those things in a row.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh.. by "lots and lots of exercise" I mean about 150 push-ups, 50 sit-ups and 50 crunches, 60 leg lifts a leg and a somewhat rand number of pull-ups and flexes on a chin bar, five days a week.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
There are two ways to lose weight: cut the caloric intake, or amp up exercise. Both forms require you to keep the diet balanced so that the loss in muscle tissue is not prevalent over the loss in fat tissue. The first case will lead to faster results since you'll notice immediately the loss in water retention.

Oh.. by "lots and lots of exercise" I mean about 150 push-ups, 50 sit-ups and 50 crunches, 60 leg lifts a leg and a somewhat rand number of pull-ups and flexes on a chin bar, five days a week.

Well, sorry, you're not doing it right. I think either you go to a gym, or you start reading exercise forums in order to be directed towards those that will really increase strength and size (supposing that those are your objectives, of course). They are:

- squatting
- deadlifting
- snatching
- pullups (those are very good)

You will quickly notice that your body will demand you to eat more calories due to the muscle breakdown caused by intense exercise. Don't worry. I tend towards hyperactivity myself, but that didn't prevent me from being able to gain weight when I set my exercise regimen straight.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My biceps are large, and my abs are practically washboard, and I can curl my whole body up to the ceiling.
But, If you say so...

Don't gyms cost money?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My biceps are large, and my abs are practically washboard, and I can curl my whole body up to the ceiling.
But, If you say so...

Well you want to gain weight, right? The biceps are a very small muscle as opposed to, say, the legs or the back or the glutes.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
True, true.
But is it a good thing to be all muscle and no fat reserves?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
But, If you say so...

Don't gyms cost money?

You should put that in your profile next to your picture! Hahahaha. Seriously, (some) chicks will love that :yes:

I think what FDG is referring to is bulk as opposed to definition. If you want mass try gym rat excercises. Otherwise buy heavy macho items like a medicine bag or throw logs or some other heavy natural objects in a seneless repetitive excercise that strains your whole body muscles into lactate overdrive. Muscle building really is about 'no pain, no gain', as opposed to losing weight. Sorry to say! You could also try equipment unintensive circuit training which is used by athletes and the military -- I don't think it really builds bulk though...maybe I'm wrong. Is there a beach near you? It works for the Navy Seals (in the movies).

This also just reminded me how men and women differ. Men HATE being called 'skinny', they'll get so mad! My friend commented he had stopped working out and lost some weight and I said he was a "tall skinny guy" and he got this funny look on his face and said, "Don't call me skinny, I'm not skinny." I told him, "How about slender?" I don't think he liked that either. Of course women usually take it as a compliment. Hahahaha.

You could also try protein powder...aka 'cake batter'. My brother tried that...and all I can say is he looked strangely bloated...that and his biceps got HUGE and ripped to the point he was deformed. He was defining muscles on his biceps I did not even know existed...and dareisay, did not look that attractive. But I'm a girl, I'm sure to guys it's admirable?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You should put that in your profile next to your picture! Hahahaha. Seriously, (some) chicks will love that :yes:

Yes, I know, and I have some good pictures of my muscles as well, I just didn't think it was very appropriate for this atmosphere... or that of much any public forum.

I think what FDG is referring to is bulk as opposed to definition. If you want mass try gym rat excercises. Otherwise buy heavy macho items like a medicine bag or throw logs or some other heavy natural objects in a seneless repetitive excercise that strains your whole body muscles into lactate overdrive. Muscle building really is about 'no pain, no gain', as opposed to losing weight. Sorry to say! You could also try equipment unintensive circuit training which is used by athletes and the military -- I don't think it really builds bulk though...maybe I'm wrong. Is there a beach near you? It works for the Navy Seals (in the movies).

Yeah, I know about the pain. I have experienced it.
I don't have a medicine ball, but I do have a giant green koosh-ball that's pretty close!:yes:

I also have this one-hand bar-bell thing. i don't remember if it's twenty or fifty pounds, but I can curl it with my left arm, so that's nice.

You could also try protein powder...aka 'cake batter'. My brother tried that...and all I can say is he looked strangely bloated...that and his biceps got HUGE and ripped to the point he was deformed. He was defining muscles on his biceps I did not even know existed...and dareisay, did not look that attractive. But I'm a girl, I'm sure to guys it's admirable?

Errmm.. I think it'd be creepy, too. I have no intention of being like the body builders, I just want to be athletic and not disconcertingly light.
Being really bulky would kind of suck. I'm happy with the fact that I've been growing increasingly flexible over the years as well as strong, so I wouldn't want to impede on that

Nah...if you start eating a lot, you'll get both of them!

Very well.
For honor!

...or something. :dry:

Last edited:

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
Once you figure out your diet, then look into HIIT.

40lbs sounds like alot, but you should easily be able to lose that in 10-20 weeks (2-4lbs/week).

1lb is about 3500 calories. So you need to burn 7000 more calories than you eat per week, to be done in 20 weeks.

Great thing is, you may not even need to go to the gym for HIIT. Just get a treadmill, or a stationary bike (or even a gazelle!), and then a set of lightweights.

Squatting would be good for you, as FDG suggested, but think of HIIT like this: it takes 10-15 minutes everyday. So you could easily wake up and do it, without thinking. And you could also easily stick to it, long after you've lost your weight, as maintenance (for you) would be like 5-10 minutes every other day.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mean to piss anyone off here, but I can't gain weight to save my life(I fear that it may become literal someday)...

... i hate you... :azdaja:

But I empathize. We all have different problems to deal with.

(It's too bad we cannot trade this particular one.)

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Take up a sport that's fun and conceals from you the amount of exercise it involves. Surfing is a good one.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I just don't know where to start. I have a modest proposal for you, Jennifer. Cut out pasta, french fries, hamburgers, red meat, salty tofu, and anything else that's the slightest bit enjoyable to eat.
It strikes me that none of us know what this person's hight and wieght are. She could be enormously fat or anorexic for all we know.
If I'd suggest anything it would be that 'creeping back' weight is a sign of a diet that someone can't sustain.
I think the most important question for jennifer is: At this point, is dieting about health or about physical appearance? What convinced you that your former wieght (before you started deiting) needed any changing in the first place?
Physical fitness, or the way it's percieved in america is (in my opinion) the source of a lot of lies about health.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Errmm.. I think it'd be creepy, too. I have no intention of being like the body builders, I just want to be athletic and not disconcertingly light.
Being really bulky would kind of suck. I'm happy with the fact that I've been growing increasingly flexible over the years as well as strong, so I wouldn't want to impede on that

Well I also am a dancer, but I still workout no problem. For the most part, flexibility seems to be an inborn trait.

MJ_

MBTI Type
INFj
Having lost 35 lbs (and counting) over the past 4 years....some of it due to changing eating habits, some of it due to getting more exercise, and some of it due to stopping taking a medication that caused a bit of weight gain....

I never thought of it as a diet. Ever. And I have not gone to the gym in three years.

What are you trying to do? Lose weight? Or lose a bit of body fat and feel healthy? Or just live healthier? Here's another nice thought, its not just about weight. Thats just a number. Muscle weighs more than fat. You may find yourself losing inches, but weighing the same. There are also plenty of unhealthy, sedentary, skinny people around.

My method: go slowly. Make small changes. Make changes that you can live with. Per day, a reduction in calories of 300-500 is recommended for people with a BMI of 27-35 for weight loss. The calorie difference is even less for someone of a smaller BMI. This encourages a slow loss of excess fat and spares lean muscle. For me, those numbers were a guideline. Not something to be counted. All you need to know is that you need to make small changes for long term success.

Don't let your metabolism get shifted into 'starvation mode'. Most people gain back all the weight they lose in 5 years (90% of dieters). The faster you lose the weight, the more likely it is to come back. Losing 40 lbs in one year is possible, but it probably won't stay off, and its likely to come back with extra.

Think about it, would you like to lose the weight slowly, or lose it in one year and then weigh 5 lbs more than you do now within 5 years?

what worked for me:

Wear comfortable shoes.

if you work in an office, try to get up from your desk on a regular basis. The more time I spend in the lab on my feet, the better.

take the stairs. Every time. Even if its 4 floors or more.

walk to the store, to work, or go for a walk in the park for fun. :run:

Get plenty of sleep.

If you do have an athletic activity that you love, go for it. You won't keep doing something that you don't like.

Food is something to be enjoyed, and not avoided. There is nothing you shouldn't eat. There is nothing forbidden. There is nothing wrong with the occasional treat. The words 'I can't eat that' should not be in your vocabulary (unless you have allergies, religious reasons, ethical reasons, or are a vegetarian/vegan).

Do eat foods and treats with some fat. The summer I worked in an ice cream factory, where I had to taste test 4 days a week, I lost 8 lbs in 3 months. It was a job requirement. And that was, ah, testing more than I had to;) . I was physically active, I felt full, I didn't feel deprived, and I didn't snack in the evenings.

Portion size: smaller is better. Half portions of food at restaurants, smaller plates at supper. When your parents taught you to 'clean your plate', it was a bad habit :doh: . Stop eating when you are full. Split the dessert. Take this to heart for the upcoming holiday season with parties and buffets.

Counting calories? not really my thing. Make comparisons based upon portion size, and the nutrients in the product. Pick a non fried option. If you can have something that has vegetables instead of dairy (like tomato sauce instead of alfredo), that will likely have fewer calories. Skip the cheese, unless you need the calcium. Skip the dinner roll, unless its whole wheat. Have mustard instead of ketchup or mayo. Lower fat options may have just as many calories, but can leave you feeling less full.

Eat your vegetables. Have fruit for a snack.
Salad! with less dressing, or low calorie dressing.
Eat plenty of protein. You'll feel full.
3 meals a day, or have several smaller healthy snacks.
Don't snack in front of the tv.
Sit down, and take your time eating.
Eat foods that provide bulk (fiber), plenty of nutrients, and are digested slowly (whole wheat bread, not white, long grain or brown rice, whole grain pasta).

Avoid empty calories. If there isn't fiber, protein, unsaturated fat, and/or vitamins in it, its a treat and not food.

Small amounts of dark chocolate are your friend.

The body does not deal well with calories in liquid form, probably because they are less likely to make you feel full.
Stop drinking soda.
Stop drinking fancy coffee drinks (think of the calories from the milk and whipped cream).
Limit alcohol consumption.

If you want a beverage that isn't water, make it a small portion. Better yet, make it unsweetened fruit juice or vegetable juice.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because of lupus, I struggle to keep weight on. I find that exercise HELPS me put the weight on that I need. Maybe it makes my body systems more efficient? Could anyone explain the weight gain?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because of lupus, I struggle to keep weight on. I find that exercise HELPS me put the weight on that I need. Maybe it makes my body systems more efficient? Could anyone explain the weight gain?

I have the same problem related to a different health problem :cry: I've generally found that going outside and getting plenty of exercize at least convinces me to eat more! (sorry- that's really all I have on that!)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Muscle building? I know exercise turns on the natural "anabolic" mechanisms of your body, since that's part of the muscle building process.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you should keep stuffing yourself until you implode -- that's a great weight-loss strategy.

Seriously, though, there is no effective way of losing weight besides that "E" word. But I think people misinterpret exercise as having to have a jogging routine and so on. Some seem to think that exercise only works if you're conscious of doing it.

Just walk around, that's all I do. It's actually healthier than riding a bicycle, which can be bad for your prostate (for guys).