• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating speed?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I eat slowly and steadily and everything gets chewed up well. At a restaurant, the waitress is always trying to take my plate before I'm through, or I look up and everybody is looking at me with their plates already clean and I'm still plugging away. I enjoy my food but if I try to wolf it down, I choke, and I have to cut things up small.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Depends on how hungry I am. If I am, I'm an extremely quick eater; otherwise, average.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
How fast or slow is the correct eating speed? I take ages to eat/drink anything and am usually the last one left at the table picking at my food. People get up and leave because they can't wait for me to finish. Admittedly, I talk a lot during the meal but even if I'm alone I just stare off into space. Eating is a chore and I hate having to get through it. As a child, I was always punished for not completing my lunch within the break, and my mother had to tell my teachers that it was okay with her if I left food over. My teachers would make me sit on the floor with all the "slow eaters" and finish my lunch, and even THEN I was the last one left! To me, it's less about chewing 32 times and more about preparing myself for the next bite, easing the food down and not gulping it down. I hate eating, and anyone forcing me to eat quickly is just going to get puked on soon!

I bet I can outslow you.

O

Oberon

I learned to eat quickly in school. In the mornings, I discovered that I could pour myself a bowl of cereal, add the milk, and have the whole thing eaten in three minutes.

In high school they gave us 22 minutes to get to our lockers, go from there to the cafeteria, stand in line for our meal, take a seat, eat the meal, and return the tray. I developed the eating habits of a Russian boar.

THEANO

MBTI Type
ENFP
I am a grazer. I don't like big meals. I'd rather have a couple of bites of different things every hour :)

Base

MBTI Type
INTP
I can't eat fast enough. I will finish a feast in under 5 minutes. The faster the better. I just want to be done and get back to obsessing over whatever it is I've been obsessing about (usually art). I care not if other people are around or if it's in a restaurant or something; I get my food, and I finish eating before people realize how fast I've eaten.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
It's important to actually chew your food properly. I cannot tell you how many times I heard my mother say "Digestion begins in the mouth." when I was growing up.

It's really true. The enzymes in the saliva start the digestion process and are essential for proper nutrient absorption. Plus, eating slowly allows your brain to actually send the signal that you're full when you're full, so it helps to prevent overeating.

Grazing is supposed to be absolutely fantastic for your metabolism and energy levels. I envy those who are naturally inclined to eat that way.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I can eat 3-4 plates of food in approximately 10 minutes.

THEANO

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can eat 3-4 plates of food in approximately 10 minutes.

I can't think of anything worse for myself. When eating fast, one ends up eating so much more food than the body requires, and actually by the time the 'satiation' reflex kicks in, you'd be already overfull.
I have a male friend who eats like that, and invariably, he feels almost sick, or at least very uncomfortable within 1/2 hour after he stops eating.
I think I'll stick with grazing :)

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I eat pretty fast, but the foods I eat are usually fibrous and fill me up quickly (especially broccoli and spinach).... although if the food isn't especially good and i'm making myself eat it (raw radishes and beets) it could take forever and many glasses of water.

A few years ago.. when I had an OCED/EDNOS I would eat 2000 calories once a day between 5:00 and 5:30 am. It was something like 2 cans of vegetable soup, 2 luna bars, 2 cliff bars, 2 packs of instant breakfast, 2 pieces of bread... etc.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I eat pretty fast, but the foods I eat are usually fibrous and fill me up quickly (especially broccoli and spinach).... although if the food isn't especially good and i'm making myself eat it (raw radishes and beets) it could take forever and many glasses of water.

A few years ago.. when I had an OCED/EDNOS I would eat 2000 calories once a day between 5:00 and 5:30 am. It was something like 2 cans of vegetable soup, 2 luna bars, 2 cliff bars, 2 packs of instant breakfast, 2 pieces of bread... etc.

I eat pretty slow, and kind of had/have some sort of neurosis with eating. However it was more along the lines of magically stretching 500-900 calories throughout the day. Incredibly picky. I want things certain ways & still won't eat them otherwise, unless I'm incredibly hungry. Rarely go out to restaraunts. I hate eating as a social activity. Not that I mind eating WITH people, but it's not some sort of special-fun-thing to me in the least.

I'm a lot healthier than I used to be, and overcame the issue of not wanting to eat enough to maintain a healthy weight. Yeah... 500-900 calories a day isn't nearly enough for a 5'9" adult... I probably fit most of the criteria for Anorexia Nervosa a few years back.

...but I want to live for a VERY long time. Without a walker or a broken hip.

My busy schedule, lack of $, and disgusting overconsumption of coffee recently often makes me forget to eat, however. Then in the late afternoon I'm wondering why I feel terrible and my stomach hurts. :doh:

Friends keep reminding me that coffee is not food.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It depends on the food, its taste, its consistency, its aroma and if I feel especially hungry.

There's too many variables to sum up my eating style. For instance, when I'm confronted to a tasteless, fatty food full of sugar like the one I find during a vacation in North America or even across the Channel, I tend to eat faster and it gives me far less pleasure. Even the average vegetables are a bit like rubber and plastic here. :huh:
(Although in New York and Montreal you can find decent restaurants, but not much anywhere else... mmmm... In Louisiana too, if I remember well)

But in countries where you have a real "cuisine" tradition (France, Italy, Lebanon, China for instance), I usually enjoy my dishes much more, and take the time to savor them properly.