• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you done oil pulling?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
What are your thoughts on it? Favourite oils? How do you build up tolerance for it without feeling gaggy?

I have decided to give it a go again, as it's supposed to help deal with inflammation, receding gums, toxins, hormone imbalance, and metabolism/liver function. I hate it though.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Had no idea what it was, goolged it, read a few articles on it. I would be rather skeptical that it did anything. This reminds me of those kinoki footpads etc. It operates under the assumption toxis are just flaoting around everywhere in your body. This isn't true, and you cannot siphon them out through your gums. The benefits of oil pulling would be entirely localized to the mouth, but not via toxin removal. Just anti-bacterial benefits, kinda like using lotion on your skin to help with a sunburn.

20 min is a long fucking time. I'd rather just use mouthwash twice.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Haha, I hear ya. I've talked to some people who have done it though and I do see a visible difference with their teeth. I've had inflamed gums for a number of years now, despite flossing and brushing due to effects from histamine intolerance.

I think the toxin stuff is a bit hooey, but bacteria in the mouth has been proven to impact heart disease. The problem with traditional mouthwash is that it kills ALL bacteria, even the good stuff (same reason that the Red Cross no longer recommends peroxide as a means of cleaning out wounds). I hate natural mouthwashes and don't think they are especially effective. I also do think that inflammation is a proven cause for many different types of disease in the body, so any way that I can reduce that is fairly important, as I've lost a decade to weird health stuff already and inflammation has also made it difficult to lose weight.

I've been looking into a lot of other factors, from emotional processing and habits to sugar intake, etc etc, so am just trying to do what I can to tip the balances in my favour. One friend who easily goes into anaphylactic shock from soy has said brushing, flossing and drinking copious amounts of water help a lot when she's having trouble, so I think there is some kind of mouth connection to how the rest of the body is impacted.

I'm having growing sensitivities to everything foodwise and I've seen how out of hand that gets if its ignored - one of our friend's had to live two years like a bubble boy as her immune system was shot. She couldn't even handle paper unless it was under glass, and her husband had to change from his street clothes to come into their apartment. Walking and vitamin C injections were big factors in her recovery.

Last edited:

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to pull with coconut oil. For me it came naturally and I never felt the need to gag it out after 20 minutes of pulling, so I'm not sure how you could build tolerance.

I didn't notice any differences when I used to do it, which along with laziness is why I stopped. My teeth were whiter back when I did it, though, not sure if pulling contributed or if I've just gotten worse at brushing.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
If you do it, make sure to exfoliate right after. Don't make my husband's mistake, and just do the oil pulling and not exfoliate after. It completely destroyed his beautiful smooth skin and now he holds it over me that I "supplied" him with " bad" castor oil. :dry:

Edit: I thought were talking about the trendy oil-pulling method where you rub your face with oil for 15 minutes to pull out all the blackheads. Nevermind!

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tried oil pulling a long, long time ago. I wouldn't recommend sesame seed oil, too bitter for my taste. My favorite was coconut oil because of the taste, and added antibacterial benefits, but it's not really a pleasant practice. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't notice any kind of difference. Stopped doing it after a few weeks.

Yeah, I second this. I did it for a couple of weeks, and did not see an appreciable difference that warranted continuation.