• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't lose weight, no natter what I do.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just a thought: Do you like Greek yogurt at all? Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt cups are a decent enough healthy snack option for those looking to cut carbs & increase probiotic intake. Low carb, but no artificial sweeteners (sweetened w/stevia extract). It’s high protein, & contains fiber, so, it keeps you fuller longer. Contains both prebiotics & probiotics. Isn’t super expensive at most supermarkets or Walmart. There are higher probiotic products like kefir, but those tend to be expensive/not as convenient in terms of portability as an everyday snack, & a healthier option for a sweetness fix than other things.

There are ‘better’ yogurts out there, but this is the cheapest healthy one I’ve found.

Thats a good idea, been trying to figure out things to take in my pack lunch. Ill give it a shot.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay so the results of diet change, and sometimes skipping dinner. I got down to 278.2 lbs. I think it was more due to the fact of not eating dinner, than anything else.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I think based on some of your other posts, namely the what is your food culture thread, you may need to work on building up healthy and diverse gut flora. It's my sort of theory that actually calories are not superly important, I know that's controversial but I really think the healthier a person's gut flora and healthier, more whole foods their diet the better able they are to maintain a healthy body weight. There are some studies coming out showing that people who seem to be able to eat anything and not gain weight tend to have different gut flora profiles than people who gain weight easier. Green tea sounds like a good thing to try to drink more of as it seems to encourage healthy gut flora.

Ultimately you know your body best and I think by experimenting you'll get more a sense as to what works for you. That you are keeping at it, asking others for insight and help etc shows that you really are on a good road and will figure things out.
Changing your gut flora is important. This can happen over time if you change your diet. If you replace fast food with fruit and nuts, you'll very likely feel hungry for a while because the microbes in your gut that consume fast food signal your body to consume more of it. You'll probably crave fast food at first. But they are replaced over time by microbes that consume fruit and nuts. The craving you felt for fast food when you changed your diet will subside over time. It's not an easy process, but it's well worth it.

One thing to keep in mind, the calories on food labels are an estimate that varies from person to person, based largely on differences in gut biome. I don't know of any studies on the degree of variation unfortunately. We could eventually learn that the effect is small, but I suspect it's significant because there are so many anecdotal cases of people eating similar foods and getting very different results.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I mostly want to cosplay. That requires lean tone muscle. XD I should go hiking more, but now isn't the season.
It hasn't really been talked about in here as far as I can tell, but building and maintaining muscle mass is incredibly important for everyone. Most people think cardio when they think about weight loss exercises, but strength exercises are actually more effective. That's not to say cardio isn't important. It's important for cardiovascular health, it's just not the most effective for fat loss. And that's what people really mean when they say they want to lose weight. Almost no one wants to lose muscle. Almost everyone wants to lose fat.

For me personally, I tried losing fat by changing only my diet and it never worked. The diet change may have made me healthier, but I saw no change in my body fat. Once I added weight lifting the fat started coming off. It was a slow and steady process, but that's the best way to lose fat. I know everyone is different, so results may vary, but there is a lot of scientific evidence that supports this approach despite it not being mentioned in the media very often.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
It hasn't really been talked about in here as far as I can tell, but building and maintaining muscle mass is incredibly important for everyone. Most people think cardio when they think about weight loss exercises, but strength exercises are actually more effective. That's not to say cardio isn't important. It's important for cardiovascular health, it's just not the most effective for fat loss. And that's what people really mean when they say they want to lose weight. Almost no one wants to lose muscle. Almost everyone wants to lose fat.

For me personally, I tried losing fat by changing only my diet and it never worked. The diet change may have made me healthier, but I saw no change in my body fat. Once I added weight lifting the fat started coming off. It was a slow and steady process, but that's the best way to lose fat. I know everyone is different, so results may vary, but there is a lot of scientific evidence that supports this approach despite it not being mentioned in the media very often.

I have read a lot of publications that support this, saying that the key to burning fat is building muscle.

Rainbow Iris

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
It could be insulin resistance. If your body isn't sensitive enough to insulin, you can't access your stored fat for energy. If that is the problem, keto is likely to make it worse, because insulin resistance is caused by the buildup of intramyocellular lipids that block insulin from doing its job, and you'll need to clear those out before you'll be able to access your fat. I believe insulin resistance is probably the most common reason people can be doing everything they are told makes people thin without actually losing any weight.

If that is what's happening in your case, part of the process of fixing it will require almost the opposite of keto: eating mostly carbs and avoiding dietary fat.

I know my solution is counterintuitive, and you probably won't believe me until you try it and see it working, but I know several people who have had remarkable success on a high carb, low fat, whole foods plant based diet. The ideal macronutrient balance is to get 75% of your calories from carbs, 15% from protein, and 10% from fats. Eliminating all refined grains, added sugar, animal products, and added oil will be necessary, and you'll want to limit your consumption of nuts and high fat soy products for a while.

The nice thing is that you won't have to avoid fruit, and you won't have to deal with being hungry. You'll eat your fill every day of high fibre foods.

There are other tricks you can add to it that involve reducing inflammation and fixing your gut microbiome. For example, adding a bit of turmeric and ginger to your diet can help. Eating foods that naturally contain resistant starches can help.

You can count calories if you want, but it isn't strictly necessary and would be more to make sure you don't start undereating. If you do count calories, use an online bmr calculator to determine your basal metabolic rate, and make sure you don't go under that, or you'll find yourself in starvation mode, holding onto fat for survival, even while doing everything else right.

You might want to look up
Chef AJ,
Nutritionfacts. org, and
Mastering Diabetes.
All of these will have good information to help with the process, if you decide to take my advice.

Whatever you try, good luck. I hope you figure out what is going on and find a way to resolve it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Things I did this last year to improve my health:

Swam for 1 hour twice a week, went to gym twice a week as well. I went to gym Mondays and Wednesdays, swam Tuesdays and Sundays. FOR AN ENTIRE SUMMER, and didn't lose a single lb of weight.

Stopped drinking for nealy two months, plus calorie counting. For months, off and on. Still no change. My diet isn't even bad. I make a lot of my own food. I am quite knowledgeable on nutritional diets. My fitbit says on average I burn 3k-4k calories a day (I work blue collar). I hardly went over 1500-2000 calories in food consumption (which is technically starving myself, since I am 275-280lbs).

Tried Keto, but too expensive to do for extended periods.

I got my thyroid tested, it is normal. I am at a fucking loss. What am I doing wrong? I know I drink, but it isnt overwhelmingly caloric. There is no reasonfor this stasis. Calories out > calories in, I do this daily. Its bullshit. I feel like I have to be anorexic to lose weight.

man, thats crazy. it seems as tho you're doing enough. have you tried to stop eating at like 6pm and see how that does?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, so I am going to try to lose weight again this year using a method that will require me to be held accountable for pretty much everything (will list in a min). The reason I didn't lose weight last year, was the exercise I was doing probably wasn't strenuous enough for my body to actually start losing weight. Essentially, I started on a plateau. My body was already used to everything I was doing "extra", due to my job. So I have to focus on more intensive workouts.

Another thing to note, is that step-calorie counters are bogus. Just because you walk 10k steps a day, doesn't mean you burned enough calories to warrant eating more food because your calorie counter said you got more to spare now. I will not be including these in my calculations at all. Calorie counting might help, but it should not be the rule you go off of.

Anyways, the method of weight loss I am going to attempt is a bit extreme. But desperate times call for desperate measures. My current job actually makes it possible to attempt this. I am combining the Snake diet (with keto). If you've not heard of the snake diet, it's based on how snakes eat... not eating snakes lol. The theory behind it, is that animals are not meant to eat every day. So it's fasting, then eating a big keto meal once in a while (fast 2 days, meal, fast 3 days etc). And throughout the day, all you drink is essential hospital style electrolyte water you make yourself. This is so your body doesn't hold onto water, and keeps everything running smoothly while it goes into keto-sis. I can fast on the days I do not work (usually 2-4 days a week) and then eat on the days I do work. And yes, I will also attempt to not consume alcohol during this time. I have quit for months on end before, I can do it again.

And no don't message me that I am starving myself. Fasting is a part of a lot of cultures, who do it for way longer than this. I am not going to do this diet for an extended period of time, just to get the ball rolling and mostly reset my gut biome.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eat a daily serving of kimchi

It’s loaded with vitamins and is known to be a great weight loss aid. How many fat Koreans do you see? If you don’t want to spend money on jars, there are many easy recipes for homemade kimchi. Fermented kind is even better for you.

Exercise is great but the biggest factor is diet. Cut out as much processed and fast food as possible. With the physical nature of your job plus added exercise, you’ll be a twig.

If you still aren’t losing weight after all of this, consider having your thyroid checked out.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eat a daily serving of kimchi

It’s loaded with vitamins and is known to be a great weight loss aid. How many fat Koreans do you see? If you don’t want to spend money on jars, there are many easy recipes for homemade kimchi. Fermented kind is even better for you.

Exercise is great but the biggest factor is diet. Cut out as much processed and fast food as possible. With the physical nature of your job plus added exercise, you’ll be a twig.

If you still aren’t losing weight after all of this, consider having your thyroid checked out.

I heard about kimchi, it might be a great addition to some foods, and it's keto. Do you know any organic versions I can try to find?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard about kimchi, it might be a great addition to some foods, and it's keto. Do you know any organic versions I can try to find?

Not sure. I get mine at an asian market nearby. I buy a couple of large jars at a time. If you have any asian markets in your region, you can probably find it there. Possibly at some of those yuppie ass supermarket chains, but I wouldn't know as I never shop at those. There's recipes online but I've never tried to make it myself. Most common ingredient seems to be asian cabbage, but I'm sure it could be made with any type of cabbage. The kind I buy has ginger and other spices as well.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure. I get mine at an asian market nearby. I buy a couple of large jars at a time. If you have any asian markets in your region, you can probably find it there. Possibly at some of those yuppie ass supermarket chains, but I wouldn't know as I never shop at those. There's recipes online but I've never tried to make it myself. Most common ingredient seems to be asian cabbage, but I'm sure it could be made with any type of cabbage. The kind I buy has ginger and other spices as well.

I have a few places I can check. The problem with making it by hand is it takes like 6 months lol. :)

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
True. There's a fresh version but the fermented kind that takes forever is the tastiest, healthiest type.

recipe for healthy kimchi:

vegetable base (any kind of cabbage or cucumber, i think many prefer to add scallions into the herb, spice, and sugar mixture)
herbs and spices (ginger, garlic, some kind of red pepper powder-- either korean red pepper powder aka gochugaru, or maybe chili powder, cayenne, or paprika)
sugars (can come from sources like carrots, pears, and apples as well)
non-iodide salt

cut veggies, brine them for 1-3 hours, rinse just a few times
add your spices and sugars, mix well with vegetables, and transfer to container
ferment for a few days at room temperature, then transfer to fridge
you can let it keep fermenting in the fridge

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with your fasting approach. :) They say that diet is more effective than exercise, in terms of weight control.

I gained a few pounds from the pandemic and fasting has brought me back to (I think, bc I have no scale) pre-pandemic weight. I go 16 to 18 hrs without eating. The time includes sleep. So I don't eat until about 1:30pm, sometimes later if I have a site visit. We eat dinner around 7-730. If you have less time to eat, you eat less.

People naturally fear being hungry, but after an initial feeling hunger, if you drink water, you're fine. You don't feel anything. :)

I think also you reset yourself and what you feel as hunger. I drink a ton of green tea, now. :) I have a whole collection loose green teas, which is nice.

good luck!

Mole

Permabanned
We know dieting doesn't work, so it is far better to focus on healthy eating, and finding something we enjoy doing, such as dancing. And rather than focusing on ourselves, focusing on helping another person.

Pro-Anorexia, Pro-Ana, websites promote the severe illness of anorexia, click Pro-Anorexia, Pro-Ana Web Sites: Popularity and Impact, just as typology central promotes the neurosis of narcissism

And just as anorexia is addictive, and addicts love company, so narcissism is addictive, and the addicts seek each others' company to validate their addiction.

So both anorexics and narcissists practice Group Think, and police thinking outside the Group Think.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We know dieting doesn't work, so it is far better to focus on healthy eating, and finding something we enjoy doing, such as dancing. And rather than focusing on ourselves, focusing on helping another person.

Many of today’s “fad” diets don’t work longterm, because they tend to be imbalanced and not sustainable longterm, lifestyle-wise. I agree, that adopting healthy eating habits in general as a permanent solution is better. That said, learning portion control and creating a caloric deficit within that healthy array of daily food choices is also important for weight loss.

Intermittent fasting combined with healthy eating can absolutely be a healthy option for weight loss and getting used to smaller (than previously consumed, what led to weight gain to begin with) portions permanently. Fasting for too long can mess with blood sugar/electrolytes, so that’s something to watch out for, but it is not inherently dangerous.

I think it’s important to check with one’s doctor before embarking on that.^ Fasting bloodwork in particular could yield useful info.

Pro-Anorexia, Pro-Ana, websites promote the severe illness of anorexia, click Pro-Anorexia, Pro-Ana Web Sites: Popularity and Impact, just as typology central promotes the neurosis of narcissism

Ah, I remember these terrible sites from my anorexia days (long, long gone by). I never joined them. Unfortunately, freedom of the internet allows for people to promote many unhealthy behaviors, and those mired in an eating disorder are vulnerable, their critical thinking is distorted. Many are quite young, so their frontal lobes aren’t fully developed enough for consistently good decision making, and sadly, they will feel validated by sites like that. The world at our fingertips is a double-edged sword, in that sense.

I don’t think the OP in this thread is trying to promote disordered eating, though. I think she is trying to see what will work for her, and be safe about it.

As for typology— I don’t want to derail here— but that too, is all in how you use it. Some degree of self exploration can be quite healthy, especially when not taken in absolutes.

The key in all of these things is moderation. :yes:

And just as anorexia is addictive, and addicts love company, so narcissism is addictive, and the addicts seek each others' company to validate their addiction.

I think beyond that, most people will seek validation from who they may perceive as their peers. It’s only human. Just unfortunate when it veers into unhealthy, destructive territory.

So both anorexics and narcissists practice Group Think, and police thinking outside the Group Think.

I don’t think everyone with an eating disorder practices group-think, necessarily, but they certainly can feed off of likeminded people, for better or worse. Overall, in my experience, it’s a very private and isolating thing. Everyone’s damage that leads up to and manifests in that way is markedly different.

But, again, I really don’t think this applies to the OP. She is trying to be safe in her fasting, though I do hope she gets a checkup first, as the slightly longer than usual fasting (along with the increasing summer heat) could lead to unexpected lightheadedness or something, and collapsing has its own risks.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Cut back on the alcohol, eat your heavier meals for breakfast and/ or lunch, and try not to eat for a few hours before going to bed.