• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't lose weight, no natter what I do.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Sung Jin-Woo said:
Do they say anything about "sugar free/alternative" stuff? I get mixed views on that a lot.

Yes, diet sodas don't work because artificial sweeteners raise your insulin levels just as high as sugar.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yes, diet sodas don't work because artificial sweeteners raise your insulin levels just as high as sugar.

Some thoughts regarding artifical sweeteners: They do not contain the unnecessary amount of calories a normal soda with sugar does, obviously. And at the end of the day, your daily calorie intake matters the most.
However, artifical sweeteners make some people feel hungry/like it raises their appetite. So, just like with pretty much everything, not overdoing it is key, and being aware that it might make you feel hungry, but it's not real hunger, so you don't give into that, is important. As long as you are aware of that, switching normal sodas with diet soda can help losing weight - more or less, depending on how many 'normal' sodas you had before.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
PumpkinMayCare said:
And at the end of the day, your daily calorie intake matters the most.

Not really. We've all been taught this, but it's not true, because it ignores the calories burned in metabolic processes like (cell growth, a beating heart, body temperature). Caloric intake plays a role because all foods raise insulin levels to an extent, but obesity is a problem with elevated insulin levels. Both exercise and diet fail because they don't correct the insulin levels. Fasting and bariatric surgery both work by lowering insulin levels.

rav3n

Some thoughts regarding artifical sweeteners: They do not contain the unnecessary amount of calories a normal soda with sugar does, obviously. And at the end of the day, your daily calorie intake matters the most.
However, artifical sweeteners make some people feel hungry/like it raises their appetite. So, just like with pretty much everything, not overdoing it is key, and being aware that it might make you feel hungry, but it's not real hunger, so you don't give into that, is important. As long as you are aware of that, switching normal sodas with diet soda can help losing weight - more or less, depending on how many 'normal' sodas you had before.
This would be inaccurate. It's because many artificial sweeteners change the composition of your gut microbiome.

Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Blood Sugar?

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

rav3n

BS. It still works. Cause at the end of the day, your calroe intake counts. And all of the fact I gave are accurate.
Did you read the link? It's WebMD where they cite studies. You're welcome to argue with scientists but I wouldn't recommend it.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Did you read the link? It's WebMD where they cite studies. You're welcome to argue with scientists but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sure.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ive researched artificial sugars vs regular sugars as well. It should be a given that what you consume changes what bacteria thrive in your gut. I just find it odd that actual diabetics can eat sugar alternatives without spiking insulin. It would depend on if your body can break down the alternatives to begin with. Which usually it does not, but does increase insulin anyways. Which can probably cause your body to use the sugars it can without needing it. Causing it to store it away.

I consume an unknown exactly quantity of sugar alternative in drinks that claim zero cslories. Then like coffee, I'd use a tenth of the amount vs sugar. And it tastes better lol. But if its the reason I cant lose weight. Time to aim for probiotics like kombucha instead.

Lark

See to be honest, I'd not make that my goal, instead I'd make the goal to eat differently and do whatever it is you would like to be thin in order to do, ie sports, fitness training or being more active etc.

Just do it, there's a great book on this topic called Rip It Up, I wasnt a fan of the author's other books but this one is largely a presentation of William James' ideas anyway, his good ones about positive behaviour (not thinking, acting, doing).

Instead of the goal of losing weight try to build muscle or tone up or get the body you want for whatever reason by doing those things you would if you had it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See to be honest, I'd not make that my goal, instead I'd make the goal to eat differently and do whatever it is you would like to be thin in order to do, ie sports, fitness training or being more active etc.

Just do it, there's a great book on this topic called Rip It Up, I wasnt a fan of the author's other books but this one is largely a presentation of William James' ideas anyway, his good ones about positive behaviour (not thinking, acting, doing).

Instead of the goal of losing weight try to build muscle or tone up or get the body you want for whatever reason by doing those things you would if you had it.

Well, I mostly want to cosplay. That requires lean tone muscle. XD I should go hiking more, but now isn't the season.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Well, I mostly want to cosplay. That requires lean tone muscle. XD I should go hiking more, but now isn't the season.

muscle girls are what the people really want :wubbie:

EddieJohnson

Be very careful with only 1200 calories a day as that is on the borderline of unhealthy. When I did that, I lost weight- sure, but I also lost hair, stopped having my period, probably had bone loss (that a dentist noticed in an xray), etc.

You are right as the healthy range of calorie is 2000-2500. These should be burned in a way that results in health and fitness. I think it takes much time and effort to attain a healthy weight. The only things which help are diet and lifestyle.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think some of the standard numbers for calorie intake and burning are either too general or simply wrong.

I had my DNA analyzed for health and I have no genetic predisposition to be thin. I have all the markers for gaining and regaining weight. If I ate 2000 calories a day I would be overweight because my frame is thin and I have a low metabolism. I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day and go on lots of walks and dance. For me there isn't any magic to it, so it's about low calorie intake, avoiding mostly carbs and sugars and supplementing with vitamins. I think I have to average below 1500 calories a day because even consuming that consistently and I would gain weight.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The food supply now is engineered towards weight gain with its abundance of corn syrup and other fattening agents. The pesticides and other irritants can cause water gain in response to inflammation also creating exhaustion and lower calorie burning. Also life is far more sedentary in every detail.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The food supply now is engineered towards weight gain with its abundance of corn syrup and other fattening agents. The pesticides and other irritants can cause water gain in response to inflammation also creating exhaustion and lower calorie burning. Also life is far more sedentary in every detail.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Be very careful with only 1200 calories a day as that is on the borderline of unhealthy. When I did that, I lost weight- sure, but I also lost hair, stopped having my period, probably had bone loss (that a dentist noticed in an xray), etc.

because EDs are scary and worry me gonna tap on this and leave some levels for you!!!

1. If you are a mostly inactive adult who doesn't work out much, the lowest you can go is 1,600 calories a day. Please do not suggest diet plans under 1,200 calories unless this person got the diet approved by a physician for their needs. It is not actually healthy. Luminous is absolutely correct here.

2. If you are a normally active adult, then 2000/2500 calorie limits are the ones recommended.

3. If you are an athlete in any way, soccer track etc, your max can go up to 3,000 to 3,500 as you burn way more calories.

Here's a few pointers:
As mentioned by someone else, health conditions can cause retention.

Some people struggle to see pounds actually shedding on the scale, but are actually actively losing inches. This is because as you become more fit, you lose fat mass and it can become MUSCLE mass. Consider getting something where you can measure your inches and see if you are losing inches while maintaining scale weight.

Remember that your healthy weight may be different than another bodies healthy weight. Everyone is different. People with larger bone densities and etc. will be naturally larger than something like me who is a frail little twig. Perhaps consider working with your doctor on what is best for your HEALTH goals, not just weightloss. The weight can come off slowly to a better weight with health factors.

"Dieting" rarely works because oftentimes the change is temporary. Consider making permanent changes to your diet and exercise regime.

A food diary can help assess things! You can get them on apps or online, or a notebook. Basically, see what kind of diet works for you. For instance, my mother mentions how carbs totally make her gain weight yet she can eat food with higher fat and lose weight. Her body needs a higher fat diet. My diet is high in proteins and I maintain my weight usually. Watching this you can analyze what kind of diet helps you the most. Maybe you need a low carb diet, or a low fat diet, or sorts. Always check with your doctor too.

Most importantly, remember to take care of yourself, EVERYONE here! :hug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The following is related to the topic but not the OP
I just saw the most stereotypical diet ad. It says you take this product like the supermodels do, eat anything you want, and lose weight! There is also a stereotype that you feel jealous of thin people because they are "so lucky they can eat anything and never gain weight." The only way to do that is bulimia or lots of cocaine or some stimulant that will destroy your body.Our society is so separated from nature and focuses so much on dominating nature that it comes up with these bizarre notions. Add in consumerism mentality as well.

At this point my impression is that the only way to be healthy and not overweight is to not eat empty calories - almost never or it will cost you nutrient calories. In the past peasants were thin because they did physical labor all day - not three days at a gym but dozens of hours a week. The wealthy with sedentary lives and eating whatever they wanted were overweight like all the historical paintings show. I don't think everyone has an inexplicable metabolism but instead society has completely unrealistic notions about food, exercise, calorie intake, and results.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The following is related to the topic but not the OP
I just saw the most stereotypical diet ad. It says you take this product like the supermodels do, eat anything you want, and lose weight! There is also a stereotype that you feel jealous of thin people because they are "so lucky they can eat anything and never gain weight." The only way to do that is bulimia or lots of cocaine or some stimulant that will destroy your body.Our society is so separated from nature and focuses so much on dominating nature that it comes up with these bizarre notions. Add in consumerism mentality as well.

At this point my impression is that the only way to be healthy and not overweight is to not eat empty calories - almost never or it will cost you nutrient calories. In the past peasants were thin because they did physical labor all day - not three days at a gym but dozens of hours a week. The wealthy with sedentary lives and eating whatever they wanted were overweight like all the historical paintings show. I don't think everyone has an inexplicable metabolism but instead society has completely unrealistic notions about food, exercise, calorie intake, and results.

I do think there are...some people who appear they can eat anything they want because their body does better with the diet they're on. For instance I eat...mostly processed food. Cereal, chicken nuggets and French fries from your grocery store, potato chips, canned or processed pasta stuff like campbell's spaghetti os and meatballs or knorr pasta sides. Canned chicken. I do sometimes bake raw chicken. Ground beef within like tacos and such. As you can see though in some technicalities my diet is deficient because I do...not eat a lot of vegetables unless it is potatoes. I eat a variety of different forms of potato. I will occasionally get fruit like oranges or bananas. The cereal has a lot of my vitamin content I don't get elsewhere. In the past I have had to take iron supplements because periods I get sick of beef and then I don't get iron very much. I do like kidney beans though. I usually walk or run about an hour, sometimes 2, almost every single day weather permitting. But I am not void of it. When I was working at Walmart I started eating fast food for lunch nearly every day, and I actually gained 15 pounds. I was shocked, considering nothing ever seemed to touch my weight prior. I couldn't help but wonder what fast food burgers and chicken sandwiches do different than the ones I have at home, processed and all. XD

As you state, not everyone has the same metabolism but instead we try to fit weight and such into a one size fits all thing. It never works. Find what works for you.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=33903]Chaotic Symphony[/MENTION]
Yeah, the generalized ideas don't always apply - and I know there are health issues that effect weight. I also mentioned in an earlier post about the problem with our food sources now - processed and fast foods that have corn syrups and other ingredients that cause the greatest possible weight gains from the calories eaten. In the past both the peasants and the wealthy class had food without the strange ingredients, although perhaps they ate more spoiled food than we do now.

Now that I'm over 40, I don't have much luxury of just eating what I want - not that I ever did, but it's kinda extreme now. Where I live now I would say obesity (not just healthy 'overweight') could be at 50% of the population. It's really high here and there is a lot of consumption of cheese curds, deep fried everything, beer and heavy alcohol drinking. I get social pressure sometimes from family to eat cheese curds and beer, and when I do just once - I gain a pound. I'm definitely not one of those people who have a high metabolism, and I suspect it's rare over 40. The only thing I have in favor of not gaining weight is that when stressed my stomach feels sick and sore, so I can't stress eat. I'm probably stuck in this mental food loop posting obsession because it is hard for me to restrict calories. I don't have as much fun as people who eat enough to gain weight.

I feel sorry for the current population because of how horrible the food is for us and the bizarre lack of reality awareness about bodies in a thousand different ways.