• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't lose weight, no natter what I do.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water,

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also make sure you're drinking plenty of water,

I have been using my fitbit calculator to track and force myself to drink at least 60floz a day. On top of all the coffee, which is proven to not actually dehydrate you as much as you think. I have on average 4 cups a day.

The Cat

Staff member
I have been using my fitbit calculator to track and force myself to drink at least 60floz a day. On top of all the coffee, which is proven to not actually dehydrate you as much as you think. I have on average 4 cups a day.

Whoa whoa whoa settle down there Tex. :cowboy: You dont need to defend your caffeine addiction to me. But if you want the results you claim to, maybe consider giving the brew a break.

I know I know, you're the poster child for AmerIcan, and I'm not saying you technically cant. Just you're hobbling yourself if you do. But that's cool too. You seem like the kind of pilgrim who likes doing things the hard way. So good luck. But:
I can't lose weight, no natter what I do.... If it were me, I'd find something different to do or not do. Why not give it a try? If not, it's of course your prerogative ...anywho...bye-bye. :bye:

rav3n

What you eat matters more than CI/CO. Soluble fiber combined with water can help people lose weight since once wet, it'll bind to food and slow down the digestive process, allowing the food to pass through. It also encourages a greater diversity in gut microbiomes.

Jaguar

I did not fast, but it was taken an hour or so after I woke up.

Ask your doctor to repeat your thyroid tests and make sure you have not eaten anything before the test. Food will elevate your cortisol which in turn will directly affect your thyroid results. Furthermore, ask him/her to also check your T3 Free, Fasting Insulin, and Fasting and Random Glucose along with repeating the other two you just posted. This next test may get some pushback from the doctor unless they are an endocrinologist, but be assertive. Request a 24-hour urine cortisol test and an A.M. and P.M. serum cortisol test. At this point, it's mandatory with a weight level like that. Do not let the doctor blow you off. PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) should also be ruled out if you end up having a high fasting insulin level.

Hasn't he/she taken your situation seriously?

rav3n

Ask your doctor to repeat your thyroid tests and make sure you have not eaten anything before the test. Food will elevate your cortisol which in turn will directly affect your thyroid results. Furthermore, ask him/her to also check your T3 Free, Fasting Insulin, and Fasting and Random Glucose along with repeating the other two you just posted. This next test may get some pushback from the doctor unless they are an endocrinologist, but be assertive. Request a 24-hour urine cortisol test and an A.M. and P.M. serum cortisol test. At this point, it's mandatory with a weight level like that. Do not let the doctor blow you off. PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) should also be ruled out if you end up having a high fasting insulin level.

Bear in mind she's 6' tall.

The Cat

Staff member
I'm 6'4-5 and I'm over mine at 200lbs. :(

rav3n

"I am 275-280lbs."
Yes, I knew this but wanted to mention that she far from an average height female since it wasn't mentioned inthread and I wasn't sure if you and/or others knew this and were presuming that she was average height. That weight would be a lot more severe for someone 5'4" than someone's who's 6'.

Jaguar

Yes, I knew this but wanted to mention that she far from an average height female since it wasn't mentioned inthread and I wasn't sure if you and/or others knew this and were presuming that she was average height. That weight would be a lot more severe for someone 5'4" than someone's who's 6'.

I was actually focused on her not being able to lose weight despite the usual activities that would work. Also, I have no idea how much alcohol she is really consuming which can dramatically affect her endocrine system even more.

People lie about alcohol. ;)

rav3n

I was actually focused on her not being able to lose weight despite the usual activities that would work. Also, I have no idea how much alcohol she is really consuming which can dramatically affect her endocrine system even more.
Fair enough.

People lie about alcohol. ;)
True, albeit sometimes, particularly for situations of alcohol dependencies, it's a relative judgment between before and after limiting their intake. So to people who barely or don't drink, it may appear to be a lot even post limiting. For alcohol dependents, they might be drinking 10 times less than they used to so it's less of a lie and more of a relative judgment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As I said in other thread.

In my book making a artificial deal about losing weight is a bad way to do it. The best is to genuinely increase physical activity and cut the most high calorie foods (and sugared drinks). Fix something in a physical way with tools, go somewhere where you can walk for long and that it is interesting (outdoors, zoo, mall, museum ... etc), order your own place regularly, .... and be like that every day.

I have spent in life zero hours in a gym while I bought zero books and recreational equipment, but I was never fat. The best is old school way where you don't really think about if you are really losing wight at the moment. It is the best to just mix it with other activities: it can save time, nerves, money and it feels less stupid in general.

This should be done as naturally as possible, it shouldn't feel as an extra task. (in my book)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Okay, I will take note of this. The reason they probably didn't, is that this is a volunteer clinic. The original test was free, but I will bring up all the other tests to see if I can get those tested too.

And yes, I am 6' and weight about 280.

Thanks for the advice, i'll see what I can do.

rav3n

Did everyone know that you can eventually starve to death if you only eat lean meats and non-starchy vegetation?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Weight is regulated hormonally - one of them being insulin. When your blood insulin level increases and stays high, you get fat. People have been told that it's all about caloric intake, but this isn't the case. People aren't getting fat gorging themselves on spinach; people are getting fat eating processed carbs like donuts, cake, cookies, pizza, pasta, and sodas. Some foods (like sugar) raise your insulin levels much higher than other foods.

The reason why diets fail is because your body compensates for the reduced caloric intake by slowing down your metabolism; your body burns less calories when you diet. To maintain your metabolic rate, you have to first reduce the insulin level. This is accomplished through intermittent fasting. Eat one day; don't eat the next day. Do this for 6 weeks and you'll lose the weight and keep it off.

You can read all about this in "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weight is regulated hormonally - one of them being insulin. When your blood insulin level increases and stays high, you get fat. People have been told that it's all about caloric intake, but this isn't the case. People aren't getting fat gorging themselves on spinach; people are getting fat eating processed carbs like donuts, cake, cookies, pizza, pasta, and sodas. Some foods (like sugar) raise your insulin levels much higher than other foods.

The reason why diets fail is because your body compensates for the reduced caloric intake by slowing down your metabolism; your body burns less calories when you diet. To maintain your metabolic rate, you have to first reduce the insulin level. This is accomplished through intermittent fasting. Eat one day; don't eat the next day. Do this for 6 weeks and you'll lose the weight and keep it off.

You can read all about this in "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung.

Do they say anything about "sugar free/alternative" stuff? I get mixed views on that a lot.