• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me with this absurd diet ( pls)

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
So with Dialysis comes an ironically absurd dietary restriction.

I say ironic because there is really only one thing I can’t have. Unfortunately, that one thing is Phosphorous. They may as well just say “Don’t eat food.”
Even foods that naturally lack phosphorous often have it added ( farewell delicious Costco chicken)

I didn’t think I’d have a very hard time with it. I already don’t eat a lot of the big ones; dairy/cheeses, cola, processed meat

The two greatest issues are:

-Egg yolks. I can go without straight-up eggs no problem, but things like mayo, dressing/sauces, baking is killing me ( not literally. High phosphorous will just destroy your bones. I’m following the diet because I’d rather cut out 60% of my diet than listen to “Binders! Binders! Take your binders)

-Pretty much the only thing I’m allowed to have my fill of is fucking carbs. I lost a good 40 lbs avoiding that shit. I refuse to cut back on phosphorous if it means I end up fat again.

I know there are at least a few people here who are quite knowledgeable about healthy or even vegan diets. [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] [MENTION=10808]rav3n[/MENTION]
Can any of you recommend some good egg yolk substitutions or not-terrible carbs?
I really quinoa so even so e good recipes with that would be super-helpful

rav3n

I'm sorry to hear this.

Since I'm not a doctor/dietician, I'm not comfortable suggesting a custom diet for your condition. But if you're undergoing hemodialysis (there are different types), I found these dietary guidelines straight from the horse's mouth, the National Kidney Foundation. It doesn't appear to be as restrictive as you've mentioned.

Dietary Guidelines for Adults Starting on Hemodialysis | National Kidney Foundation

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I'm sorry to hear this.

Since I'm not a doctor/dietician, I'm not comfortable suggesting a custom diet for your condition. But if you're undergoing hemodialysis (there are different types), I found these dietary guidelines straight from the horse's mouth, the National Kidney Foundation. It doesn't appear to be as restrictive as you've mentioned.

Dietary Guidelines for Adults Starting on Hemodialysis | National Kidney Foundation

Yeah, I understand. Thanks for the link.

I didn’t think it was too restrictive either until my lvls sky-rocketed.
One of the problems with the diet is inconsistent information. I’ve heard both “ beans and legumes are great!” and “ OMG NEVER eat beans or nuts!”

So, I thought maybe taking some notes from a diet might be helpful.

rav3n

Yeah, I understand. Thanks for the link.

I didn’t think it was too restrictive either until my lvls sky-rocketed.
One of the problems with the diet is inconsistent information. I’ve heard both “ beans and legumes are great!” and “ OMG NEVER eat beans or nuts!”

So, I thought maybe taking some notes from a diet might be helpful.
Judging by these excerpt from the article, certain high fiber foods should be drastically limited and that legumes contain a lot of potassium and phosphorus.

Avoid “whole grain” and “high fiber” foods (like whole wheat bread, bran cereal and brown rice) to help you limit your intake of phosphorus. By limiting dairy–based foods you protect your bones and blood vessels.

Note: Even though peanut butter, nuts, seeds, dried beans, peas, and lentils have protein, these foods are generally limited because they are high in both potassium and phosphorus.

Let's take your reference to Costco chicken begone. Costco chickens are brined and contain a lot of sodium and fat. The latter are what would be bad for your condition. But you can eat lean chicken breast that uses very little to no salt, instead, using herbs and spices to flavor. And yes, food will be relative bland tasting until you get accustomed to a low salt diet.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Judging by these excerpt from the article, certain high fiber foods should be drastically limited and that legumes contain a lot of potassium and phosphorus.

Let's take your reference to Costco chicken begone. Costco chickens are brined and contain a lot of sodium and fat. The latter are what would be bad for your condition. But you can eat lean chicken breast that uses very little to no salt, instead, using herbs and spices to flavor. And yes, food will be relative bland tasting until you get accustomed to a low salt diet.

Oh yes, I recall reading that DRIED peas are no good. So the same probably applies to beans.

Costco specifically brines their chicken with sodium phosphate. Unlike most dialysis patience, I don’t retain fluid so salt is not much of an issue for me.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. At one point I was told to limit my potassium intake, and well, that was much the same dilemma.

Maybe this would be helpful (from Phosphorus and Your CKD Diet | National Kidney Foundation)

Lower phosphorus alternatives to enjoy: water, coffee, tea, rice milk (unenriched), apple juice, cranberry juice, grape juice, lemonade, ginger ale, lemon lime soda, orange soda, root beer

Lower phosphorus alternatives to enjoy: rice milk, almond milk, cottage cheese, vegan cheese, sherbet, popsicles

yogurt (Greek type acceptable)

Lower phosphorus alternatives to enjoy: chicken, turkey, fish, beef, veal, eggs, lamb, pork

Lower phosphorus alternatives to enjoy: apples, berries, grapes, carrot sticks, cucumber, rice cakes, unsalted pretzels, unsalted popcorn, unsalted crackers, pound cake, sugar cookies

12882_2014_901_Fig1_HTML.jpg

I'd look at different mayos in the store because there must be vegan kinds now where eggs aren't used at all...

rav3n

Oh yes, I recall reading that DRIED peas are no good. So the same probably applies to beans.

Costco specifically brines their chicken with sodium phosphate. Unlike most dialysis patience, I don’t retain fluid so salt is not much of an issue for me.
It sounds like you might need meal plans created by a dietitian to accommodate for your specific needs.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It sounds like you might need meal plans created by a dietitian to accommodate for your specific needs.

Yeah I second this. I know you can cook but I also get that it's exhausting. If you like Costco chickens, try roasting with with McCormick's excellent rotisserie seasoning. Take care of yourself. :hug:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I understand the feeling of despair when it comes time to eat. Right now I'm no gluten, chicken, beef, soy, rice, milk or eggs. Quinoa and asparagus and some dairy are also dodgy.

Anyway, I've found that Costco's red lentil penne, yellow lentil linguini, and black bean pasta have a lot of protein and are good tasting.

Lemon is really helpful to add flavouring to things.

I eat a lot of soup made of whatever veggies we have around and then blended up smooth. You can customize it with various combos of spices or herbs. I like cumin.

I live fish and have found that Costco's frozen cod and frozen salmon are really good, individually packaged, and can be cooked different ways. My nephew has colitis and can basically only est potatoes, chicken, fish, eggs, applesauce and rice, so my mom is always experimenting. Fish cakes are really tasty (potatoes, egg and cod). Salmon can include a lot of different types of dressing. There are ways around mayo etc that are still delicious.

I think there's always a period of mourning the changes that have to be made and wondering what on earth you can have that other people also eat. It was surprising to me to realize how much food is a social thing and that it mattered to me or other people to be eating the same food. But it will get better.

Trim Healthy Mama books will have some helpful recipes. I also came across some good egg substitutes. I'll see if I can hunt them up.

There are a bunch of articles on egg substitutes. If you are prepared to make your own sauces or dressings, there are great options around. (I had to when I first found out soy was an issue because most dressings are made with soybean oil).