• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Anti-Vaping Bias

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
inhaling anything into your lungs that is not meant to be inhaled is probably not safe. i don't care if you vape, just admit that we don't know the full dangers

rav3n

inhaling anything into your lungs that is not meant to be inhaled is probably not safe. i don't care if you vape, just admit that we don't know the full dangers
This is fair, especially with street mixes where contents aren't provided. But more respectable juices do publish their contents on the bottles. The reason I know this is because my husband vapes so I have access to confirm that this is true. That said, inhaling anything into the lungs might have negative consequences like air pollution.

I personally think that the vaping of more respectable juices, is an improvement over combustible cigarette smoking. As with anything you put into your body, check the ingredients.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am gonna have to agree with the motion inhaling anything into your lungs is bad. But people do it. Sadly. '

Vaping is the new smoking. Some vapes have nicotine. Some is just fruit flavored. I noticed those attractive flavored ones appealed the most to the teen crowd of vapers. The ones who also...excessively vape. There was stories early on in the vaping thing about how excessive vaping can have negative effects on your lungs. I just kinda remember it because the vape craze was happening and Teen Vogue did an article on reminding people to limit their vaping, especially on the tobacco based vapes, because for those it is actually like smoking a bigger amount than they did before and increased the nicotine dependence. I don't know how excessive it is now. I did know some kids who could do cool tricks with the smoke though.

But someone encouraged me to take a whiff of their vape and I nearly choked half to death and my throat has a burning for a while after. so I can't help but think it probably ISN'T good to really put any of it into your lungs. But hey, people still have cigs, vapes, alcohol, and hell we're adding weed. As long as they get tax money they don't care. So what can you do. :shrug: You've let it go on this long anyway. All the severe vaping incidents came from illegal products. When you buy black market you're taking that risk of getting a bad lace job. I don't think every casual vaper should be punished for that at all. And they were already punished for being idiots. Everything's fair. :shrug:

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Nicotine isn't the same in a e-cigarette as in a 'normal' cigarette. In a normal cigarette the nicotine gets burned and it ends up in your lungs. This doesn't happen with an e-cigarette. Nicotine is never healthy, but an e-cig most likely reduces the risk of getting lung cancer. (And ever since I stopped smoking and starting vaping- my condition has turned back to normal)
Not the best description, but I don't feel like going into it now. But I think this picture explains it well.

If you choke on a vape and it burns it simply means that you can't vape and/or their nicotine level was probably high, or that the PG/VG* balance of their liquid was high. (Higher PG causes a sharp feeling in the throat, PG is not harmful) Most people choke on a vape the first time they try to vape.

*PG: propylene glycol
*VG: vegetal glycerin

I also don't get where people in America even get those 'illegal liquids' from. Are legal liquids that expensive to begin with? As far as I can see they are not more expensive in America than they are here. Weird. I wonder what drives people to go for an 'illegal' liquid anyway.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nicotine isn't the same in a e-cigarette as in a 'normal' cigarette. In a normal cigarette the nicotine gets burned and it ends up in your lungs. This doesn't happen with an e-cigarette. Nicotine is never healthy, but an e-cig most likely reduces the risk of getting lung cancer. (And ever since I stopped smoking and starting vaping- my condition has turned back to normal)
Not the best description, but I don't feel like going into it now. But I think this picture explains it well.

If you choke on a vape and it burns it simply means that you can't vape and/or their nicotine level was probably high, or that the PG/VG* balance of their liquid was high. (Higher PG causes a sharp feeling in the throat, PG is not harmful) Most people choke on a vape the first time they try to vape.

*PG: propylene glycol
*VG: vegetal glycerin

I also don't get where people in America even get those 'illegal liquids' from. Are legal liquids that expensive to begin with? As far as I can see they are not more expensive in America than they are here. Weird. I wonder what drives people to go for an 'illegal' liquid anyway.

Drugs. People like to vape marijuana and it is not legal here in every state.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Drugs. People like to vape marijuana and it is not legal here in every state.

But marijuana isn't harmful in a sense that it kills people from simply smoking it. There are legal CBD oils you can put into your e-cigarette. From what I have heard, those vaping incidents were with liquids people tried to 'make' themselves. Or e-cigarettes exploding (there can be multiple causes for this). So I wouldn't blame marijuana in this case (only people being stupid, it's like putting water in the gastank of your car and expecting it to work. If they want to smoke marijuana, they could at least try to be smart enough and research how to smoke it properly.).

Eh, in some way I can believe that vaping can cause health issues. The issue is that one day you'll hear people dramatize a whole story about how unhealthy vaping is, that people died and are getting 'mysterious lung diseases' (corona, is that you?),... And the next few months it's suddenly quiet again. If it's really that unhealthy/dangerous, then why does no one properly research it? Though I think most research has already been done since our government wouldn't allow an extremely harmful product to be sold publicly.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But marijuana isn't harmful in a sense that it kills people from simply smoking it. There are legal CBD oils you can put into your e-cigarette. From what I have heard, those vaping incidents were with liquids people tried to 'make' themselves. Or e-cigarettes exploding (there can be multiple causes for this). So I wouldn't blame marijuana in this case (only people being stupid, it's like putting water in the gastank of your car and expecting it to work. If they want to smoke marijuana, they could at least try to be smart enough and research how to smoke it properly.).

Eh, in some way I can believe that vaping can cause health issues. The issue is that one day you'll hear people dramatize a whole story about how unhealthy vaping is, that people died and are getting 'mysterious lung diseases' (corona, is that you?),... And the next few months it's suddenly quiet again. If it's really that unhealthy/dangerous, then why does no one properly research it? Though I think most research has already been done since our government wouldn't allow an extremely harmful product to be sold publicly.

It is more certain illegal people making it add chemicals that are negative, in this case it was some vitamin E thing that causes severe issues from getting in their lungs.

it came from a specific supplier of the illegal substance is more why there was that small influx that then disappeared. But it was proven it wasn't "properly made" vaping material, as you're discussing.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I vape. I know for a fact that it causes inflammation in my lungs and often I will develop mysterious fluid and even wheezing from certain liquids over others.

I'm sure younger, healthier people do not notice as much but once you hit a certain age, your body becomes more sensitive and reactive. Also, my body doesn't like inflammation much I have minor symptoms from it. This includes certain food groups as well.

What I'll say is that we just don't know what consistent vaping will do long-term and there's no shame in admitting that instead of taking the other opposite position that it's completely harmless. I don't doubt that some research is likely over-stating its ill effects, but the opposite in this case is also true where you have other lobby groups which are trying to downplay the harmful effects too - much in the same way for decades the tobacco refused to cooperate.

At this age the only alternative is to completely quit. If they banned this, I will likely go back to smoking cigarettes which I know are significantly more harmful for sure. I've gotten down to vaping at very specific times in just one room of my house which has broken the habit considerably. I bought my 75ml juice in March, and I've consumed exactly half in about 5 months. I'm giving myself a few years to become completely vape free - my goal is to use this to very slow quit smoking completely. I quick cigarettes 2.5 years ago using vaping too. I was about a pack a day in 2012.