• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Anti-Vaping Bias

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I smoked for about a decade on and off. I used Chantix. It was phenomenally effective as Wellbutrin was not an option for me (seizure history). Just a suggestion, it really worked.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This ban may actually help if I took your approach, as I don’t particularly enjoy tobacco flavored vape, and that’s the one type the ban won’t affect. I have a few unopened bottles of various tobacco flavors I’ve been saving. It’s funny because when I first started all I wanted were tobacco flavored juices
Eh. Yeah. I just don't want to be too 'obvious' about it ya know. So I'm switching to flavors I don't particularly like rather than actively dislike. Cheap tricks like making the juice disgusting all of a sudden will just make you miss the old juice rather than put you off juice altogether. Think of as trying to break up some couple. You're not going to do that by photoshoping the chicks' face to look like a troll. You'd want to take away the sex, then make them annoy each other until the reward is just not worth the effort anymore. Not that I ever did something like that, that would be evil.

I've smoked for many years, regularly since 18 (since about 12 was my first cigarette). I was able to quit cold turkey because I think it was a mental thing, rather like a complete paradigm shift. Vaping, I took up recently to suppress appetite. I was hovering around 175lbs prior to and am down to 165lbs where I should be at. Probably not the most ideal way to lose weight, but it works and I've not seen any adverse effects to my jiu jitsu, so it's whatever. :shrug: This ban is dumb and lacks nuance.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As I have already pointed out, the vast majority of deaths have been caused by black market products and/or devices. Often THC based. Because cannabis is a relatively safe drug to smoke, some people therefore assume it's safe in vaping devices, which isn't necessarily the case. In some cases, people think that cannabis wax is OK to melt down and add to vaping juice. That is highly dangerous, as most vaping devices do not produce the level of heat required to make those waxes safe for inhalation. Vitamin E oil has also been linked to many deaths. Vitamin E is beneficial as a supplement taken in pill form, but when used as an oil additive to vaping products, it is highly dangerous.

In the state of New York, of every ill person who submitted their devices and products for testing, each case was linked to high levels vitamin E acetate.

source: Vaping deaths: Here's what you need to know - CNN

Exclusive: Lung doctors tell why and how Oregon vaping victim died - oregonlive.com

"Two Portland doctors say vaping marijuana oils likely led to the death of the Oregon patient they tried to save earlier this summer"

It's no surprise then that these types of deaths began to occur after said THC-based and black market products became easy to access and obtain. Vaping itself is not the issue, it's what people are using in their devices. People need to be clear on this before they start calling for the banning of all vaping.

There wasn't an epidemic before THC based products began to appear. There will be no continuing epidemic if said THC based products are banned and removed from the market.

They need to make them safer, because what's in them is... reading a lot of the stuff, it's scary. I used a little thc/cbd sort of pen and I stopped using it just in case. It's really scary and my lungs felt weird.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
They need to make them safer, because what's in them is... reading a lot of the stuff, it's scary. I used a little thc/cbd sort of pen and I stopped using it just in case. It's really scary and my lungs felt weird.

Overall they are - on paper at least - super safe compared to cigarettes. But yes you are right some producers tend to add some slightly harmful chemicals (but again, immensely safer than cigs) but they tend to - as you mentioned - 'feel weird' when vaped so it's quite easy to stay clear of them.

Same things with some harmful chemicals created if the liquid is heated up too much - they actually create a HORRIBLE taste that is extremely easy to spot.

Most of the dangers outlined in studies fit these categories. For example they'll test the vaping mod on a machine used to test cigarettes - but mods are not supposed to be pulled on as hard as cigarettes - so they overheat and create all the harmful stuff that no human would actually inhale [try overheating eliquid, you can tell right away, it's not something people would accidentally inhale for more than 0.1s - and even if you wanted to, you'd just reflexively cough it out].

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Overall they are - on paper at least - super safe compared to cigarettes. But yes you are right some producers tend to add some slightly harmful chemicals (but again, immensely safer than cigs) but they tend to - as you mentioned - 'feel weird' when vaped so it's quite easy to stay clear of them.

Same things with some harmful chemicals created if the liquid is heated up too much - they actually create a HORRIBLE taste that is extremely easy to spot.

Most of the dangers outlined in studies fit these categories. For example they'll test the vaping mod on a machine used to test cigarettes - but mods are not supposed to be pulled on as hard as cigarettes - so they overheat and create all the harmful stuff that no human would actually inhale [try overheating eliquid, you can tell right away, it's not something people would accidentally inhale for more than 0.1s - and even if you wanted to, you'd just reflexively cough it out].

If they manage to figure out what it is that's causing the illnesses and get what's put in these vapes and analyze it and stuff, maybe I'll try vaping again. Like, I only vape weed stuff, and I've only gotten my stuff from one place. I don't use that much but I'm scared hearing all of this stuff and the potential side effects. What's hilarious is that the government will act swiftly to ban this stuff, but they can't figure out how to ban guns. Gee, willickers....

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If they manage to figure out what it is that's causing the illnesses and get what's put in these vapes and analyze it and stuff, maybe I'll try vaping again. Like, I only vape weed stuff, and I've only gotten my stuff from one place. I don't use that much but I'm scared hearing all of this stuff and the potential side effects. What's hilarious is that the government will act swiftly to ban this stuff, but they can't figure out how to ban guns. Gee, willickers....

It seems like it was off-the-street tainted weed flavored or something liquid containing a form of vitamin E that's very toxic when overheated. Many users don't want to admit to it but enough did to make it the natural conclusion.
The reason many of them don't want to admit is not necessarily because of the 'weed' bit but because their insurance would probably not cover the expense (which I'm assuming, given the insane prices of healthcare in the US can mount to hundreds of thousands of dollars)

rav3n

Weed products aren't well regulated, if at all. Also, many vape pens are being misused for weed. And even when the vape pens are being used for what they're being made for, people are cheaping out and buying knock off vape juices or making it themselves with substandard ingredients.

My husband vapes flavored nicotine juice and is a long distance runner. No problems since he doesn't trust discount vape juices and isn't into weed products. He also doesn't use pens and especially not Juul.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
All the bad news about vaping comes from America as far as I am aware.

It annoys me, because I live in Belgium and even here people will be like "Haven't you heard? It's dangerous!" All the fake news about it, Dutch news magazines will 'copy' things that happened in America and will 'accidentally' forget to mention the the person who became incredibly ill was using stuff that is not suitable for vaping.
Not to mention that the safety rules in America and other countries probably differ from those in the EU. I have even heard stories about dogs dying in America because even the safety rules for dog food are shit. European countries wouldn't even allow such dog food to be sold. It all gets tested and double checked before people are able to buy it.

So it seems more like the American government doesn't care and people have to do research themselves. Doing research before you buy something is always a good plan (even when the safety rules are high), but the people who don't do this will obviously end up in a news paper (or a coffin, maybe both).

I won't say that vaping is 100% healthy. You're still breathing in some weird stuff. On the other hand... The air is polluted as fuck, who cares. We're all going to die eventually.
When I still smoked I felt seriously fucked up, walking up the stairs was already exhausting and I used to be very fit person. I don't experience this stuff with vaping anymore and I have been vaping for over two years now.

Also, I don't know how expensive smoking is in America. But in my country it's expensive because of the healthcare taxes. People are smoking less and are starting to vape more. The government is losing their income and are just searching for an excuse to put these taxes on vaping too.

What I think is kind of hilarious and ironic... is that they have banned vaping in certain countries/states because people die from it but erhm... It's not like cigarettes have already killed like, maybe, at least five people..? Hmmn. :thinking:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Weed products aren't well regulated, if at all. Also, many vape pens are being misused for weed. And even when the vape pens are being used for what they're being made for, people are cheaping out and buying knock off vape juices or making it themselves with substandard ingredients.

My husband vapes flavored nicotine juice and is a long distance runner. No problems since he doesn't trust discount vape juices and isn't into weed products. He also doesn't use pens and especially not Juul.

This is exactly why this ban is misguided. It will punish responsible adult users like your husband, meanwhile the black market for untested, potentially dangerous products could simply continue to grow under the radar. Trump is a fucking whipped little baby. He’s only doing this because melania freaked out about it

Stronger regulations and standards are needed, not an outright ban

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It seems like it was off-the-street tainted weed flavored or something liquid containing a form of vitamin E that's very toxic when overheated. Many users don't want to admit to it but enough did to make it the natural conclusion.
The reason many of them don't want to admit is not necessarily because of the 'weed' bit but because their insurance would probably not cover the expense (which I'm assuming, given the insane prices of healthcare in the US can mount to hundreds of thousands of dollars)

Yup, that's what I found out too. It's all the off-market stuff.

rav3n

This is exactly why this ban is misguided. It will punish responsible adult users like your husband, meanwhile the black market for untested, potentially dangerous products could simply continue to grow under the radar. Trump is a fucking whipped little baby. He’s only doing this because melania freaked out about it

Stronger regulations and standards are needed, not an outright ban
Nah, it's another one of his dumb distractions.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Nah, it's another one of his dumb distractions.

How is it more people dont like talking about these? Oh wait, historically we're all usually too distracted buying stock in them. :dry:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wrote a letter to my guvnah imploring him to consider strong regulations rather than a ban

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I wrote a letter to my guvnah imploring him to consider strong regulations rather than a ban

Regs aren't always the evil many make them out to be. I also signed a petition in Michigan for the same reason.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think politicians care that e-cigs are harmless. I suspect that e-cigs have discouraged cigarette use and this has resulted in reduced sales tax revenue. This anti-vaping sentiment is not based on any public health interest; the donkeys are merely protecting their wad of spending cash.

EllevenSevenSounds

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vaping is pretty unhealthy. I tried it for a while and it felt like I had throat cancer. P.s. someone in my family did have throat cancer after vaping for a few years. I quit smoking after they obtained cancer. They only vaped, never smoked.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
The news generally operates on hysteria and sensationalism. Saying people should avoid certain vapes for various reasons is not as tantalizing as warning that vaping is dangerous and you should stay away.

Unfortunately, that also means people are forced to always defend themselves. And the news cycle continues as people become invested and engaged. It makes for "good" news. It's the same process when they try and blame video games, music, movies, guns, technology, lack of religious affiliation, a marginalized race or group, your pit-bulls, Donald Trump, Obama, the current president, some republican or democrat, your mom, etc. It really doesn't matter.

So good luck. But if I could offer a consideration, do try not to feed into the hysteria. It tends to make things worse.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think politicians care that e-cigs are harmless. I suspect that e-cigs have discouraged cigarette use and this has resulted in reduced sales tax revenue. This anti-vaping sentiment is not based on any public health interest; the donkeys are merely protecting their wad of spending cash.

All the more reason for them to regulate and tax it

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Vaping is pretty unhealthy. I tried it for a while and it felt like I had throat cancer. P.s. someone in my family did have throat cancer after vaping for a few years. I quit smoking after they obtained cancer. They only vaped, never smoked.

What brand were they using? Vuse?

Some of those brands are owned by the cigarette manufacturers and have been found to contain some of the same chemicals they put in cigarettes. Whereas this tends not be the case with the companies not owned by the tobacco corporations. And if they were buying some grey market convenience store shit, no telling what was added to their juice. Stick with reputable companies that list ingredients either on their bottles or on their websites. It's not a 100 % guarantee, but it's better than that crap RJ Reynolds or Phillip Morris puts on the market. After Trump's ban takes effect, the unhealthiest types of vaping products hawked by the major cigarette manufacturers will be the only ones remaining on the market. This ban is a win for big tobacco, since they will likely continue to be able to sell their products containing the same crap they put in their combustible cigarettes.