• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think the reason for men being hairier....

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Has to do with the fact they had to go hunting and get random women pregnant and often had to sleep with out shelter made it so they'd have more hair. To keep warmer?

Lark

I've been told that this varies across ethnic groups and cultures though.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yes, beard is fundamentally nothing more than natural scarf.

Back hair and body hair men generally have more of than women even when I don't shave my legs for months I still don't get as hairy as the average Male. And I have no chest or back hair. Except I do have stray hairs growing out of my nipples

Tengri

Yes, beard is fundamentally nothing more than natural scarf.
This is patently true. Jeremiah Johnson survived hostile natives and the frigid cold with beard alone and his full transition from beard to bear was no less thanks to this, too

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Has to do with the fact they had to go hunting and get random women pregnant and often had to sleep with out shelter made it so they'd have more hair. To keep warmer?

One of the effects of testosterone in mammals is that it broadens the face. Facial hair amplifies this, exaggerating the masculinity signals. Body hair is probably just a side eff3ect of evolving this, neither greatly advantageous or debilitating.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Myth. Facial hair provides nearly zero additional elemental protection.

I just disagree since I feel the difference when I stand on the cold winter time wind with massive beard and when I am "naked". Of course nothing is perfect but for short term usage there is a difference, since your throat skin isn't so much in direct contact with cold air. However for this you need a beard that grows for months (what most people don't have).

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I just disagree since I feel the difference when I stand on the cold winter time wind with massive beard and when I am "naked". Of course nothing is perfect but for short term usage there is a difference, since your throat skin isn't so much in direct contact with cold air. However for this you need a beard that grows for months (what most people don't have).

Maybe it offers a slight boon in places with more temperate winters, but amongst my people in the brutal north the winter breeze just stabs right through it with complete impunity- and the hair makes wearing the necessary thermal face mask tighter and more uncomfortable.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, that would make sense, huh?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Maybe it offers a slight boon in places with more temperate winters, but amongst my people in the brutal north the winter breeze just stabs right through it with complete impunity- and the hair makes wearing the necessary thermal face mask tighter and more uncomfortable.

Actually I am from the north as well, my distance from equator is slightly bigger than the one of Minneapolis. Although we get some of the winds from the warm Mediterranean to the south, so the general temperature is somewhat higher in winter. However when truly cold wind from the north/arctic comes and temperatures fall clearly bellow freezing point you will surely need something more than just beard if you plan on staying outside for more than an hour. In that part you are right for sure.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of the effects of testosterone in mammals is that it broadens the face. Facial hair amplifies this, exaggerating the masculinity signals. Body hair is probably just a side eff3ect of evolving this, neither greatly advantageous or debilitating.

Yeah, this - and that it tends to trap pheromones, I assume.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
...Then why ... are there nipple hairs or underarm hair? ???????? Like I kinda doubt under the pits is where the body needs warming :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's all about the bedbugs:
Why do women have less body hair than men?

or ... maybe not rofl.

Definitely is triggered by testosterone (aside from the top of the head, where testosterone can be converted to a chemical that can instigates balding... Propecia is a fun drug, considering the side effects).

I really have no idea WHY, evolutionary wise. It just typically works that way.

And cutting testosterone tends to turn a lot of visible body hair into vellus. Women still have hair on their bodies (like forearm hair) if you look at it from the right angle, but it is very thin downy vellus hair, shorter, not as dense, and not nearly as visible to the naked eye. Watch guys who have to take spironolactone or Androcur for a medical reason, and their body hair will typically get lighter.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definitely is triggered by testosterone (aside from the top of the head, where testosterone can be converted to a chemical that can instigates balding... Propecia is a fun drug, considering the side effects).

Thank you.

It's testosterone, guys.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if it is mildly cold, a beard can be mildly helpful... otherwise it is just something for your breath to ice up; it is a pain in the ass at negative forty...

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
if it is mildly cold, a beard can be mildly helpful... otherwise it is just something for your breath to ice up; it is a pain in the ass at negative forty...

What isnt at negative forty?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
...Then why ... are there nipple hairs or underarm hair? ???????? Like I kinda doubt under the pits is where the body needs warming :D

to trap our smell so we can lift are armpits at predators and they go "eww gross" and run away