• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tinnitus/triggering tinnitus

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’ve had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It’s usually tolerable. I’ve always compared it to a high pitched electrical hum. These last few days, though, it’s been almost unbearable- especially as I’m trying to sleep and can’t distract myself.
Last year, by accident, I discovered I can trigger the exact same sound and I’ve always wondered if others can. My kids can’t.
Keeping your tongue flat, in your mouth, press it firmly against the roof of your mouth. Use the entire tongue, not just the tip. I also get the sound if I swallow forcefully (but notice my tongue is pressed in a similar way).

I’ve been trying to duplicate the sound in Garage band... then realized I can’t upload it from the iPad lol. I found an online piano. The closest I can get is C8 on an electric keyboard. https://www.apronus.com/music/flashpiano.htm
The sound is constant, though it sometimes gently pulsates.

Does anyone else have tinnitus? Can you trigger it? Is it higher or lower; constant or random? How do you find peace from it?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’ve had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. It’s usually tolerable. I’ve always compared it to a high pitched electrical hum. These last few days, though, it’s been almost unbearable- especially as I’m trying to sleep and can’t distract myself.
Last year, by accident, I discovered I can trigger the exact same sound and I’ve always wondered if others can. My kids can’t.
Keeping your tongue flat, in your mouth, press it firmly against the roof of your mouth. Use the entire tongue, not just the tip. I also get the sound if I swallow forcefully (but notice my tongue is pressed in a similar way).

I’ve been trying to duplicate the sound in Garage band... then realized I can’t upload it from the iPad lol. I found an online piano. The closest I can get is C8 on an electric keyboard. https://www.apronus.com/music/flashpiano.htm
The sound is constant, though it sometimes gently pulsates.

Does anyone else have tinnitus? Can you trigger it? Is it higher or lower; constant or random? How do you find peace from it?

Yeah, I have it. It's random though. I heard over the counter pain killers can trigger it.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Huh... I hadn’t read to about OTCs. I’ll have to look into that. Thank you.
Funny you should reply now. I was just thinking about this thread because the volume of my tinnitus was insane last night. Even my noisy AC wasn’t drowning it out :O
It’s not much better now, but I’m sleep deprived which makes me notice all of life’s minor irritants all the more lol