• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Females Treating Their Bodies Like Male Treat Their Bodies

shinedowness

MBTI Type
ANFJ
Enneagram
8v7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You may see a lot of females have shaved their bodies except for their scalp, wear makeup, have high heels on, put fancy shoes on, and/or cover their bodies with stereotypically feminine clothes such as bras, flowery shirts, dresses, burqas, etc. What do you think of the health of a female that does not shave at all, does not wear makeup, never wears high heels, and covers her body with stereotypically masculine clothes such as suits, ties, etc?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Health in what sense? I don't think it's unhealthy to not wear certain clothes or not shave or not wear high heels or makeup.

It may send a message to others about the person's social/political identification, or maybe how comfortable they feel with being identified as feminine, but neither of those things even necessarily are true. I suppose it could communicate either lack of awareness or else deliberate choice to not conform.

In a practical sense, not wearing bras may not always be a comfortable or optimal option, depending on size and type of work. That's about it.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You may see a lot of females have shaved their bodies except for their scalp, wear makeup, have high heels on, put fancy shoes on, and/or cover their bodies with stereotypically feminine clothes such as bras, flowery shirts, dresses, burqas, etc. What do you think of the health of a female that does not shave at all, does not wear makeup, never wears high heels, and covers her body with stereotypically masculine clothes such as suits, ties, etc?
Insufficient data. I would need to know about her diet, fitness level, sleep habits, medical conditions and how well they are managed, etc. I can say that high heels are bad for one's feet, and makeup can be hard on the skin over time, so avoiding those might have some small health benefits.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My daughter-in-law is such a person, except for the shaving bit. She hates hair and shaves everything except her head. She identifies as more masculine, though.
My second son is transitioning into a woman and shaves, wears girly clothes, has her hair long etc.
Then there's me. I shave because I'm in pain if I don't. I would even have a buzz cut if my husband wasn't so against it. I wear makeup only a few times a year because it tends to break me out. I can't remember the last time I wore heels (I prefer sandals). I do dress pretty girly though (I love skirts).

So, what exactly are you asking? Because this is in health and fitness and not in sexuality, I'm a bit confused. Are you asking about the persons mental health?
If so, how does the person identify (gender wise)? If the person is living as the opposite gender, you have to ask yourself why does it matter and how close are you to the person? What are your own views and how much do they matter to you?

If not, then different strokes for different folks. Everyone has their own level of comfort and preference. I can't see how it could be physically harmful.

Oh yes... as for bras :rofl1:
I always joke and say: "Bras are medieval torture devices invented by men to keep women down!" I despise bras. :hippie:
I've never been big chested though. As with heels, I can't remember when I last wore a proper bra. (I always wear an undershirt and a crocheted vest over my shirt, because Lord have mercy if anyone sees the outline of a nipple :rolleyes: Yes. I make fun of my own modesty but I can't change it nor do I seriously want to.)
Again, everyone has their own needs and preferences.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

2 things:
I think I saw her that particular chick at a lesbian bar.
I think a woman can do as she pleases as long as she doesn't hurt anyone, same goes for guys.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

How does any of this impact heath?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For one, I don't get why a woman must wear makeup to be feminine. Don't get me wrong - almost every girl at my workplace wears makeup for wearing makeup, but I don't wear makeup to make me look "prettier." I don't need makeup to look halfway decent. I'll wear foundation or something to interviews or something to be proper but otherwise, I have worn makeup maybe twice in the entire time I've been working. I have to desire to do my makeup and even so I wear makeup for the artistic expression moreso than to be pretty. So it isn't to impress you.

I am trying to get better with shaving. It is an annoying inconvenience to me. I don't normally wear shorts so usually it feels like shaving is pointless - no one looks at my legs anyway. But nair is awesome at this rate lol.

And by the initial conversation, it also feels like the starter of this thread had never seen a tomboy. Yes! tomboy girls exist. they aren't even gender neutral or anything - they just don't seem that feminine. and I am sure they can be as healthy or unhealthy as anyone else, because health actually had nothing to do with dress. Actually, in general, makeup and shit has so many chemicals they might be better off than someone who does doll themselves up to death.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Backreading, others are taking mental health into account, but physical health is what popped into my mind first. I clicked this thread, expecting something hardcore like hell workout regimes, protein shakes, and living off barely raw meat, or being absolutely careless and doing something like taking supplements specifically meant for men (which can interfere with hormone production and the woman's physical health). I don't see how something as trivial as clothing could impact health, if anything, I'd imagine that men's clothes would be 'safer' to wear since a lot of them are geared to actual utility and comfort. I can't speak for things like makeup, because I know nothing about them. For my personal opinion, if I saw a woman dressing as a man, didn't shave, etc- I would not question it, and would make nothing of it. I don't quite think it has any kind of general health implications, so whatever my opinions are, they wouldn't go there.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Backreading, others are taking mental health into account, but physical health is what popped into my mind first. I clicked this thread, expecting something hardcore like hell workout regimes, protein shakes, and living off barely raw meat, or being absolutely careless and doing something like taking supplements specifically meant for men (which can interfere with hormone production and the woman's physical health). I don't see how something as trivial as clothing could impact health, if anything, I'd imagine that men's clothes would be 'safer' to wear since a lot of them are geared to actual utility and comfort. I can't speak for things like makeup, because I know nothing about them. For my personal opinion, if I saw a woman dressing as a man, didn't shave, etc- I would not question it, and would make nothing of it. I don't quite think it has any kind of general health implications, so whatever my opinions are, they wouldn't go there.
I find it hard to see how someone's mental health is served by adopting pretenses just to please others, except perhaps in passing to achieve some meaningful purpose (e.g. following dress and grooming expectations for a job interview).

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find it hard to see how someone's mental health is served by adopting pretenses just to please others, except perhaps in passing to achieve some meaningful purpose (e.g. following dress and grooming expectations for a job interview).

I had thought the OP worked on the presumption that the women in question are doing so out of their own volition- and asking if that is 'healthy'. Nothing wrong with that, ime. I still have no idea how it could impact the mental health of the individual, unless it was from third-party sources pressing the women in question for their 'deviation'- which doesn't count.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had thought the OP worked on the presumption that the women in question are doing so out of their own volition- and asking if that is 'healthy'. Nothing wrong with that, ime. I still have no idea how it could impact the mental health of the individual, unless it was from third-party sources pressing the women in question for their 'deviation'- which doesn't count.
The OP inquired about the health of women who do not follow cultural norms in dress and appearance, as if to suggest this was indicative of health concerns.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The OP inquired about the health of women who do not follow cultural norms in dress and appearance, as if to suggest this was indicative of health concerns.

I can't help but wonder how or why the question even came to be in the first place.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't help but wonder how or why the question even came to be in the first place.
Indeed. We are giving this thread the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps something interesting will come of it.

Jaguar

Diane Keaton is famous for wearing suits and ties. Frankly, I think it looks great.

Lark

What cultural norms though, its a little like some of the instance that a woman can do anything a man can do, not all men can do what a man can do, it depends on the man.

Like a lot of the things described as being habits of women exclusively in the OP, like shaving body hair, I know men that do that, some of them are swimmers, some are cyclists, some are big into gym and finally some of them just prefer to do things that way.

It feels like a really dated discussion or foil to a discussion, like this was something that I remember being discussed when I was young, in the eighties and at that point the idea was old, I think it began in the seventies in the UK. There are unfair cultural norms applied to women and men but a lot of them are not the preserve of a single sex any longer, like there's men suffering from body confidence issues these days, not because they are obese or overweight like I am but because they dont have chiselled abs or eight packs or massive pecks.

shinedowness

MBTI Type
ANFJ
Enneagram
8v7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What I have seen is that there are females that have been culturally designed to benefit male sexual predators in certain countries at the expense of those females’ psychological health and physical health. The thing I am talking about is women being treated like sexually objectified trophies for men at home. Females that are silent, submissive, don’t fight back, and let men walk over them like doormats. Stuff that make this happen is women wearing certain makeup that can damage a woman’s skin over time, heels that damage a woman’s spine and feet over time, shaving that may cause bleeding and will cause a woman to lose money that she could have used for something more useful instead of wasting nonrenewable resources, clothes that do not let a woman’s skin breathe properly because of the fabrics they are made out of which can make her skin’s health deteriorate over time, body piercings that have been known to cause infections/tooth chipping, burqas that make women overheated in some situations, etc. I saw and see a lot of women wearing unhealthy heels more than healthy shoes when I watch award shows, and then I look at the men wearing shoes at those same award shows that are better for their spine. I live in America as a female. But, I am not convinced women's health are being respected in this world completely. Men have an "easier" time travelling, getting jobs, saving money, etc. to improve their health. Meanwhile, women are normally known for carefully travelling to prevent sexual abuse, having a hard time getting jobs in countries like Saudi Arabia, spending more instead of saving more, and damaging their health with unhealthy shoes, clothes, makeup, doormat behavior when they are around men, etc, which all make them have a harder time getting proper health.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think healthy ties could have a chance to make a woman incredibly "sexy" (mainly if worn with a certain kind of proudness between her lovely breast):whistling:

Even better : let me now remplace the word "sexy" with "elegant". I don't like the word "sexy". Classy really do mean something to me.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What cultural norms though, its a little like some of the instance that a woman can do anything a man can do, not all men can do what a man can do, it depends on the man.

Like a lot of the things described as being habits of women exclusively in the OP, like shaving body hair, I know men that do that, some of them are swimmers, some are cyclists, some are big into gym and finally some of them just prefer to do things that way.

It feels like a really dated discussion or foil to a discussion, like this was something that I remember being discussed when I was young, in the eighties and at that point the idea was old, I think it began in the seventies in the UK. There are unfair cultural norms applied to women and men but a lot of them are not the preserve of a single sex any longer, like there's men suffering from body confidence issues these days, not because they are obese or overweight like I am but because they dont have chiselled abs or eight packs or massive pecks.
Dated indeed. Are you mixing up the literal and common usage of "can", though? I would say all men and women may do anything a man (or woman) can do, but as you observe, not all men or women can. Meaning: they should all have permission, but may not have the ability.

What I have seen is that there are females that have been culturally designed to benefit male sexual predators in certain countries at the expense of those females’ psychological health and physical health. The thing I am talking about is women being treated like sexually objectified trophies for men at home. Females that are silent, submissive, don’t fight back, and let men walk over them like doormats. Stuff that make this happen is women wearing certain makeup that can damage a woman’s skin over time, heels that damage a woman’s spine and feet over time, shaving that may cause bleeding and will cause a woman to lose money that she could have used for something more useful instead of wasting nonrenewable resources, clothes that do not let a woman’s skin breathe properly because of the fabrics they are made out of which can make her skin’s health deteriorate over time, body piercings that have been known to cause infections/tooth chipping, burqas that make women overheated in some situations, etc. I saw and see a lot of women wearing unhealthy heels more than healthy shoes when I watch award shows, and then I look at the men wearing shoes at those same award shows that are better for their spine. I live in America as a female. But, I am not convinced women's health are being respected in this world completely. Men have an "easier" time travelling, getting jobs, saving money, etc. to improve their health. Meanwhile, women are normally known for carefully travelling to prevent sexual abuse, having a hard time getting jobs in countries like Saudi Arabia, spending more instead of saving more, and damaging their health with unhealthy shoes, clothes, makeup, doormat behavior when they are around men, etc, which all make them have a harder time getting proper health.
Your list includes a couple of the feminine fashion trends I mentioned as less than healthy: makeup, and high heels. It all comes down to motivation and personal autonomy. A woman who willingly tolerates these fashion elements, say, to pursue a career in acting or modelling is quite different from one who uses them through duress or compulsion simply to survive. The harms may be the same, but part of being an adult is choosing our own risks, and accepting the consequences. In between are probably a majority of women who use some of them out of cultural inertia. It is what women around them are doing, perhaps what they were raised to do, and they never question it especially if the impact (cost, discomfort, side-effects) are modest. Yes, the fact that many more of these measures are associated with women vs. men does suggest women are more likely to be viewed as objects, or at least objects with decorative or aesthetic value. (Men are more likely to be objectified for their ability to do work of some kind.) It is quite possible to have a successful life on all fronts - professional, romantic, interpersonal, etc. - without following any of these customs or expectations.