• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Females Treating Their Bodies Like Male Treat Their Bodies

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand where y'all are getting this idea that makeup has to be bad for your skin. I don't personally wear a lot of makeup but my grandma has worn a lot for 60+ years and she does NOT look her age. At all. I mean sure, if you're using makeup with lead or radium in it, that's not the best idea... ;)

Lark

I don't understand where y'all are getting this idea that makeup has to be bad for your skin. I don't personally wear a lot of makeup but my grandma has worn a lot for 60+ years and she does NOT look her age. At all. I mean sure, if you're using makeup with lead or radium in it, that's not the best idea... ;)

Yeah, people use it to cover scars or other stigma they cant correct with cosmetic surgery.

Lark

Dated indeed. Are you mixing up the literal and common usage of "can", though? I would say all men and women may do anything a man (or woman) can do, but as you observe, not all men or women can. Meaning: they should all have permission, but may not have the ability.

I just think that generalisations and homogenity, "sameness", as equality have done devastating violence to the cause of progress. Maybe its done for it entirely. I really mean that and only time will tell.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this area of discussion feels like a waste of energy... why not do what you want to do, and worry less about what others do?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this area of discussion feels like a waste of energy... why not do what you want to do, and worry less about what others do?

giphy.gif

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah, people use it to cover scars or other stigma they cant correct with cosmetic surgery.

Most people, male or female, use it to enhance their best features. Most people don't have facial scars and I don't even know what a "stigma" is in this capacity.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just think that generalisations and homogenity, "sameness", as equality have done devastating violence to the cause of progress. Maybe its done for it entirely. I really mean that and only time will tell.
Once again you are somehow translating equality of opportunity into homogeneity. People for the most part can choose their occupations to best match their interests and abilities, yet this leeway has not led to homogeneity in the job market. We have people pursing all manner of jobs and professions. Likewise, removing expectations for things like dress and grooming will not result in everyone looking alike, but rather everyone looking how they like, within the bounds of budget and practical needs. Freedom leads to diversity, not uniformity.

Lark

Most people, male or female, use it to enhance their best features. Most people don't have facial scars and I don't even know what a "stigma" is in this capacity.

Well, in my post I was referencing Erving Goffman's book Stigma, its an interesting read, although I recommend all his books.

Its from an era in which if people had experienced some sort of life transforming injury, scarring or something there was a lot less in the way of anything that could be done about it besides some sort of psychological acceptance, so far as I can tell, but it made me rethink a lot of what I thought about "cosmetic" things. Sometimes they are less "cosmetic" than all that. At least I'm used to hearing it talked about as something superfluous or ephemeral anyway.

Good to hear from you Ceecee.

Lark

Once again you are somehow translating equality of opportunity into homogeneity. People for the most part can choose their occupations to best match their interests and abilities, yet this leeway has not led to homogeneity in the job market. We have people pursing all manner of jobs and professions. Likewise, removing expectations for things like dress and grooming will not result in everyone looking alike, but rather everyone looking how they like, within the bounds of budget and practical needs. Freedom leads to diversity, not uniformity.

Dont think you are right. At least for A LOT of people that I've met, equality means treating things, people the same. Sometimes its fans of the idea and sometimes its opponents of the idea but most of the time there is a consensus on that.

The job market is a good topic to bring up, I'll see if I can find a video that I watched a whiles back which does make reference to that:

I dont agree with the framing of the idea of equality in this video but it illustrates the point, I also dont like the kind of discussion of a social justice movement too as I dont find there is a movement and social justice itself is much, much more ill defined by its supporters and detractors than equality even is.

OK, so, I'll expect abreactions to the title of the video, the guys talking in it, whatever, but listen to the story about the guards in the whitehouse. This is a very good example of mistakes arising from a serious treatment of equality as sameness.

I've also encountered myself, a lot of times, the problems that arise from situations in which everyone is treated the same with the exact same expectations of people and it results in the more skilled, experienced etc. people carrying the can, they could be cheerful about it or they could be storing up problems for themselves but it'll be the reality and unfortunately I've also seen how seriously gendered things can be too.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dont think you are right. At least for A LOT of people that I've met, equality means treating things, people the same. Sometimes its fans of the idea and sometimes its opponents of the idea but most of the time there is a consensus on that.

The job market is a good topic to bring up, I'll see if I can find a video that I watched a whiles back which does make reference to that:

I dont agree with the framing of the idea of equality in this video but it illustrates the point, I also dont like the kind of discussion of a social justice movement too as I dont find there is a movement and social justice itself is much, much more ill defined by its supporters and detractors than equality even is.

OK, so, I'll expect abreactions to the title of the video, the guys talking in it, whatever, but listen to the story about the guards in the whitehouse. This is a very good example of mistakes arising from a serious treatment of equality as sameness.

I've also encountered myself, a lot of times, the problems that arise from situations in which everyone is treated the same with the exact same expectations of people and it results in the more skilled, experienced etc. people carrying the can, they could be cheerful about it or they could be storing up problems for themselves but it'll be the reality and unfortunately I've also seen how seriously gendered things can be too.
Now you are mixing up equality and identity, and going a bit off topic. You were suggesting previously that relaxing or removing cultural norms would end up with everyone being the same. Nothing could be further from the truth. Equality in this sense is equality of opportunity, not outcome.

Lark

it's their choice. simple as that. it doesn't effect me in any way.

I think it'd be cool if everyone was able to treat their body like Arnie does his and everyone was like Bruce Lee and had like zero percent bodyfat.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is more socially acceptable in society, for a woman to dress as a man. But the vice versa is still heavily stigmatized.

I would fall into the category of "woman living like a man". The only feminine thing I do is shave. Everything else is too much work.

Lark

It is more socially acceptable in society, for a woman to dress as a man. But the vice versa is still heavily stigmatized.

I would fall into the category of "woman living like a man". The only feminine thing I do is shave. Everything else is too much work.

I think those are good things though. I mean that there are differences. What makes women and men distinct makes life interesting.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think those are good things though. I mean that there are differences. What makes women and men distinct makes life interesting.

What are good things? People being pressured to act or dress a certain way instead of being who they want to be or truly are, just to fit someone else's idea of what they should be?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

From a utilitarian perspective, sure. From an individualist perspective, no.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I've been waiting my whole 2019 for this moment.

I want to be banned for the 1% nipple that is showing when you zoom in 300x.
:coffee:

EDIT: It's an Enneagram joke, in case that wasn't obvious.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gender-based differences that are real will remain. Those that are forced will fall away. This will result in more diversity, not less.