User Tag List

12 Last

Post New Research: Common Pesticides Contribute to Obesity and Insulin-resistance thru Gut

Organophosphorus pesticide chlorpyrifos intake promotes obesity and insulin resistance through impacting gut and gut microbiota

"Background
    Disruption of the gut microbiota homeostasis may induce low-grade inflammation leading to obesity-associated diseases. A major protective mechanism is to use the multi-layered mucus structures to keep a safe distance between gut epithelial cells and microbiota. To investigate whether pesticides would induce insulin resistance/obesity through interfering with mucus-bacterial interactions, we conducted a study to determine how long-term exposure to chlorpyrifos affected C57Bl/6 and CD-1 (ICR) mice fed high- or normal-fat diets. To further investigate the effects of chlorpyrifos-altered microbiota, antibiotic treatment and microbiota transplantation experiments were conducted.

Results
    The results showed that chlorpyrifos caused broken integrity of the gut barrier, leading to increased lipopolysaccharide entry into the body and finally low-grade inflammation, while genetic background and diet pattern have limited influence on the chlorpyrifos-induced results. Moreover, the mice given chlorpyrifos-altered microbiota had gained more fat and lower insulin sensitivity.

Conclusions
    Our results suggest that widespread use of pesticides may contribute to the worldwide epidemic of inflammation-related diseases."
    "What makes me think of me
    is the poor jerk who wanders out on air
    and then looks down. Below his feet, he sees
    eternity, and suddenly his shoes
    no longer work on nothingness, and down
    he goes. As I fall past, remember me."
    Likes JAVO, rav3n, cascadeco, Stanton Moore, Cellmold liked this post

This is seriously interesting. Hope they continue research into this finding since this study needs to be replicated, including and especially in humans.

Chlorpyrifos has also been linked to lower IQ, developmental problems in children, autoimmune disorders and deaths in adults.
    Likes JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    This is seriously interesting. Hope they continue research into this finding since this study needs to be replicated, including and especially in humans.

Chlorpyrifos has also been linked to lower IQ, developmental problems in children, autoimmune disorders and deaths in adults.
    Agreed. I suspect more of this will be discovered in upcoming years/decades.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Agreed. I suspect more of this will be discovered in upcoming years/decades.
    This article might be of interest to you. Notice how it mentions corn and soy bean? Unrelated to the article, corn and soybean are commonly used to feed cattle so it also enters the food supply via protein and dairy products.

The Most Widely Used Pesticide, One Year Later - Science in the News
    Likes cascadeco, iwakar, JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    This article might be of interest to you. Notice how it mentions corn and soy bean? Unrelated to the article, corn and soybean are commonly used to feed cattle so it also enters the food supply via protein and dairy products.

The Most Widely Used Pesticide, One Year Later - Science in the News
    I will read it shortly; thanks.

I was raised eating a lot of beef and having milk everyday, though thankfully I don't have issues with either right now. However, just due to my own personal diet preferences these days, I probably only cook something with beef maybe twice a month at most (usually only once a month now...), and I no longer drink milk (not that I'm opposed to it - I just have lots of water instead).

Wheat (at least in the states) is now a problem for me, and I've been wondering about it being more about pesticides, possibly, vs the wheat itself. I wonder if in another 10 years we'll have a huge influx in soy intolerance....
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes rav3n liked this post

I was raised eating a lot of beef and having milk everyday, though thankfully I don't have issues with either right now. However, just due to my own personal diet preferences these days, I probably only cook something with beef maybe twice a month at most (usually only once a month now...), and I no longer drink milk (not that I'm opposed to it - I just have lots of water instead).

Wheat (at least in the states) is now a problem for me, and I've been wondering about it being more about pesticides, possibly, vs the wheat itself. I wonder if in another 10 years we'll have a huge influx in soy intolerance....
    Yeah, it's sprayed en masse onto wheat too, albeit not mentioned in the article.

The bolded wouldn't surprise me which would be unfortunate, particularly for vegans and vegetarians.

Frankly, even though I'm consuming primarily organic products, it's gotten to the point where everything that can be peeled, is peeled prior to consumption including apples which is sad, considering the loss of fiber and nutrients.
    Likes cascadeco, JAVO liked this post

Before I forget, chlorpyrifos is used as a pesticide in peanut farming.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yeah same for me on the milk and beef as been organic, no antibiotic and limited for the past few years. But I'm <this close> to giving up meat due to the almost backward US farming and food safety practices. At this point my own organic garden is becoming less of a hobby and more of a necessity but that's a luxury, I know.

I wonder that too.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not surprised and I really hope people with power and money won't try to simply sweep this under the rug.

What's also disturbing is how long we've all been exposed to it. This pesticide is old, not new, and has been in widespread use since the 19th century.

As someone who has struggled with her weight for years, and recently discovered I have gastritis (intestinal inflammation) and chronically low levels of common gut flora despite usage of OTC probiotics (been doing gut biota testing for months with Ubiome) this really seized my attention.