• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tummy-flattening

phoenity

I've been wondering for sometime now but didn't really want to ask. But, anyway, what the heck:

Does constantly holding in the stomach muscles help at all in keeping the abs flatter? Even just a little?

:peepwall:

Not sure about the context of this question, but I think you're referring to the ability of the transverse abdominus to pull in your rectus abdominus (what most people see as abs).

Your TA is the muscle that enables you to push out or suck in your stomach. I'm not talking about using your using your diaphragm/lungs to achieve this as you should be able to contract and relax your TA while pulmonary function remains normal.

If you have a protruding stomach, using your TA to pull in your rectus abdominus will flatten your stomach.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Does constantly holding in the stomach muscles help at all in keeping the abs flatter? Even just a little?
If yes then it doesn't show much, because I have been doing this all my life. What it surely does is creating the illusion that it is flatter while you do it. Problem is that somewhen you start to relax again without even noticing. So if you want a few-minutes-effect go for it (for when you look at the mirror or when your crush passes by :D)

hopeseed

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4 w5
No. Now if you have little or no fat there, it will make it feel firmer. But if there's quite a bit of fat there, it will just build up muscle under the fat. Building muscle helps the body burn more fat in the whole body, but it doesn't burn fat in one area of the body. If you have more muscle you body has to use more calories to keep the muscle. So it could help you burn more fat per day than you normally would, but it doesn't burn fat in one area. I know people try to sell products by claiming that you can, but there is unfortunately no way to burn fat in only one area.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
spurts of high intensity exercise targets the fat around your core. our nutrition professor didn't really explain why, but my marathon coach also mentioned something to that effect.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Guys

Not sure if this helps, but I recently read a book on Apple shaped dieting (I put weight on around my tummy first - I'm not over wieght right now, more a question of needing to tone up).

It had some interesting concepts but the diet part of it was useless. Basically turn veggie. ANYWAY the useful part was on centralised fat, its realted to stress not nessesarily diet.

Stress induces cortisole which causes the fat cells on our tummy to enlarge due to fight or flight responce to stress. Therefore it's the stress that causes these areas to get fat (although diet contributes).

Anyways having read that book - which main message was be vegg sort your stress - the latter a better message for me personally, because I'm not keen on eatting carboard.

I also read a report in our papers which said that a study in Newzeland reported women who were divided into 3 groups, the first was given stress busting activities, yoga, visulisation and other stress release activites. THe second group a diet and working out regime, and the third group were sent diet tips.

Long and the short of it, is that the first group lost more weight - so sort out your stress releif

If you want a good diet book try Insulin Resistant diet book, it's by miles the only sensible approach to eatting - and you don't need to weight stuff, it's all about proportions of card to protien you eat. Eat more cards to protien earlier in the day and the opposite later in the day

Anyways though it was worth mentioning

Lis

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If you want to lose body fat, best exercises are compound plyometrics and intervals on a treadmill/elliptical if your back sucks. Just straight distance running isn't really going to do much. Squats, romanian deadlifts, barbell rows, weighted lunges, pull-ups, and good core workouts are your friend.

sade

Any female that has 10% body fat is ridiculously incredibly thin.
It depends also on how the fat is located, wheather it is around the visceral fat area or subcutaneous (adipose) tissue aka around organs or under skin. When the fat% is bigger than that though, that's so small.

sprinting will strip fat away much faster then long distance. and it will build up your core quite nicely. and if you do end up with a six pack, it will look much more athletic then it will bulky.
I could see that trend while I was still in athletics. The sprinter women had more visible abbs, than the long distance runners on average. But it did depend much on what type exercises they were doing besides that..

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you want to lose body fat, best exercises are compound plyometrics and intervals on a treadmill/elliptical if your back sucks. Just straight distance running isn't really going to do much. Squats, romanian deadlifts, barbell rows, weighted lunges, pull-ups, and good core workouts are your friend.
good response. your stomach will not flatten if there isn't muscle there.