• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tribalism and TypoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love this thread so much. Bravo OP. The time you spent on this is appreciated.

Also, I don't know how other people use likes, but I just assumed it was a way to communicate that you read something without having to directly respond to it.
I use short reps for that ("Good", "I agree", "Well done", etc) as I did before the "likes" system was put in place. Anyone like me who as a rule doesn't use "likes" will skew [MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION]'s data.

Yet another update. I decided to peruse the Banned & Damned thread to see who has been perma-banned since mid 2016 (when the election threads I analyzed were in full swing). I also gathered the names of mods who announced their bans. I applied the explanatory vectors from the analysis above (based on the liking/liked patterns of those original users) to the banned members and the mods. Not all banned members and mods had likes/posts in the political threads I analyzed, so they weren't used.
Interesting. The tutorial you posted before was quite helpful in explaining the methodology, though I am still working through what it means here. Your sample set in the mod/banned additions is quite small, as you seem to be aware, hence the large circles. Also note that you might as well include all mods since who posted the ban notices is relatively unimportant. My note above about "likes" applies here as well, since I assume one of your green circles represents me.

Below are the results. The usefulness of this sort of analysis is, maybe in the same way as any typology, the extent to which it provides validation, or causes us to pause and consider the perspective of others. I would hypothesize that those current members who are outside of the concentration of green rings might be less satisfied with the state of moderation at TypoC, and that those in the clusters of small red rings might be downright incensed at perceived persecution. I'm not making any claims, but I think the results of this are interesting.
Aren't you? Couching it in a statistical analysis and graphical presentation doesn't change the fact that this is the same old notion that mod actions are based on political bias. A chart of which mods argue for leniency for which members would easily dispel this, but of course could not be presented in public.

rav3n

Is magnitude factored into the PCA analytics? Eg. If Xann had liked Tellenback's posts 100 times and ten others, one time each, how would the PCA evaluate similarities, relative to say, Virtual Ghost who may have liked 20 posters, two times each?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=3871]John[/MENTION]ny do you want to run analytics against the test results database?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I share some concerns that other factors like vent/discord conversations, PMs, rep etc aren't included, I have a feeling the end results would have looked similar.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is magnitude factored into the PCA analytics? Eg. If Xann had liked Tellenback's posts 100 times and ten others, one time each, how would the PCA evaluate similarities, relative to say, Virtual Ghost who may have liked 20 posters, two times each?

I'd like to see a detailed table with the exact number of likes, since it's public data anyway, I hope [MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION] will consider posting those numbers.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
A chart of which mods argue for leniency for which members would easily dispel this, but of course could not be presented in public.
...because of the threat to national security if the Russians ever got their hands on such data? :shrug:

No one cares. Either way, I think the ultimate moderator decisions based on some majority democratic process speaks for them and itself just fine.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Yes, I will definitely post the data. Best to be fully transparent. Expect updates sporadically though, because I'm doing other things. For now, I prepared what could be considered a "sensitivity run", where I replaced two very "explanatory" posters in the initial PCA, DiscoBiscuit and Floki, with two other runner-up members (others with decent amounts of data), @Red Herring and @Beorn. (Note, based on how I have my input and output structures, this took all of 2 minutes to generate, the more difficult part is writing about it. To produce other results/data would take longer).

Some things to note on the results below:

First, ignore the absolute position of members in the graphs. The way PCA works, the actual location of members (i.e. lower right, lower left, etc.) isn't really important at all. Different groups of data will produce slightly different orientations of the principal components, but it isn't meaningful. Rather, focus on how closely groups members are to one another, and how far groups of members are from one another.

Second, a way to interpret the change in the results is to consider who was removed; i.e. DiscoBiscuit and Floki. Both those members were quite explanatory in the original data set. In other words, many groupings were defined at least in some part by how they felt about those two members, or, how those two members felt about them ("felt" ~ likes received and given). Now that they're gone, different groupings will naturally arise.

Third, remember that these groupings really are couched in recent political discussions on the forum. An analogy might be, imagine if I grouped the forum based on their responses to MBTI questions meant to discern where you fall on the T-F spectrum only. members would be grouped based on their relative T-F preferences, but it would say nothing about their I-E, N-S, or P-J preferences, so the groupings would naturally miss alot. INTP's and ISFJ's would be seen as closer than INTP's and ENTP's, for instance.

Kyeom19.png

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
looks like I tend to hover in the ether. Perhaps I am truly tribeless.

raskol

looks like I tend to hover in the ether. Perhaps I am truly tribeless.
One would think so, but you're actually on two strikes for that crowd:

1) 9/11 "truth";
2) r/K-selection theory as heuristic;
3) ... (the Fash Gordon reference was a foul tip).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or that you rarely give likes, hence don't receive them very often.

But [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] never gives likes, hence receives them frequently

- - - Updated - - -

One would think so, but you're actually on two strikes for that crowd:

1) 9/11 "truth";
2) r/K-selection theory as heuristic;
3) ... (the Fash Gordon reference was a foul tip).

But I like Queen.

It’s okay, people have been misclassifying me since birth. Libs think I’m right wing, cons think I’m a bleeding heart. I’m used to these sort of callouts

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Consider my comment rescinded, premised on the chart in the opening post. Your likes clump with the alt-right.

I do like some things they like. I like a lot of things

raskol

It’s okay, people have been misclassifying me since birth. Libs think I’m right wing, cons think I’m a bleeding heart. I’m used to these sort of callouts
Third position, then. "Both sides"-ism.

Status
Not open for further replies.