• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Don't Let Me Down

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
How much of your behavior is motivated by coming through for someone else?

How do you select which people matter in this regard, or are they selected for you somehow?

Is it because you care about them, or is it a product of pride and ego?

Do extroverted feelers have a wider net than introverted feelers in this regard?

Why is this such a potent force/construct, or is it just me? I always find it incredibly moving in stories, and it seems to be a common theme.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
That depends on what do you mean by "coming though".

If you want someone to cry with then I am not your guy. However if you need meds in a snowstorm, get something organized or done, if you need some smaller amounts of money .... then I am your guy. I have helped my family, my friends and I even give stuff to the poor people constantly. I am willing to help everyone if I will not clearly suffer in the process.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
That depends on what do you mean by "coming though".

If you want someone to cry with then I am not your guy. However if you need meds in a snowstorm, get something organized or done, if you need some smaller amounts of money .... then I am your guy. I have helped my family, my friends and I even give stuff to the poor people constantly. I am willing to help everyone if I will not clearly suffer in the process.

Meeting their expectations. And I think we all set the expectations others have for us. Why do we let some people have them and not others, and why the specific expectations we choose?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meeting their expectations. And I think we all set the expectations others have for us. Why do we let some people have them and not others, and why the specific expectations we choose?

Truthfully, cost benefit analysis that disguises itself as emotions. You invest, because you think you will get it in return. So when things go awry, you feel like you were stolen from.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm imagining E2's are going to have a strong connection to this. All relationships are abut a little give and take, they are mutual exchanges. If you are often the taker because circumstances and then get into a position where you can really help someone back they you will feel the reward.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much of your behavior is motivated by coming through for someone else?

This gets tricky because...

How do you select which people matter in this regard, or are they selected for you somehow?

Is it because you care about them, or is it a product of pride and ego?

I am most motivated to come through for people I care about strongly, and also people who've come through for me in the past. Because I care about them, it isn't just about them when I come through for them, it's also about me and what I value (them) and doing what is right. So in some sense, when I come through for them, I'm also coming through for myself.

Anyway, that hair splitting aside, I guess I spend a substantial amount coming through for others, whether just in terms of time, emotional energy, physically, uprooting my life and habits, etc.

I completely disagree with the bolded. Other people's expectations are their own. I may influence them, I may even outright tell them what to expect, but what they actually do expect also depends on who they are, what they think about whatever the situation is, how well they know me, etc. There are plenty of misunderstandings in the world where person A thinks person B means something they don't, which creates expectations in person A's mind in regard to person B, which person B never intended.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I completely disagree with the bolded. Other people's expectations are their own. I may influence them, I may even outright tell them what to expect, but what they actually do expect also depends on who they are, what they think about whatever the situation is, how well they know me, etc. There are plenty of misunderstandings in the world where person A thinks person B means something they don't, which creates expectations in person A's mind in regard to person B, which person B never intended.

I agree with you here initially, but don't expectations work themselves after repetition? If you meet someone who never answers their phone (and you don't know it yet), you might expect them to answer the first few times, but if he continues to deny you the expectation that he will answer, eventually you will adjust your expectations to reality, no?