User Tag List

Default Schizotypal facets & conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes

The relationship between schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes - ScienceDirect

The relationship between schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes

Highlights

•Belief in conspiracy theories significantly associated with two facets of schizotypy.
    •Analytic thinking and self-certainty mediate these associations.
    •Results suggest direct and indirect routes of influence of schizotypy on conspiracy thinking.

Abstract

This study sought to replicate previous work showing relationships between components of schizotypy and conspiracist beliefs, and extend it by examining the mediating role of cognitive processes. An international online sample of 411 women and men (mean age = 35.41 years) completed measures of the schizotypal facets of Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and Ideas of Reference, conspiracist beliefs, and cognitive processes related to need for cognition, analytic thinking, and cognitive insight. Path analysis confirmed the associations between both schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs in the present sample. Confirmatory evidence was found for the association between analytic thinking and conspiracist beliefs, and results also suggested an association between cognitive insight and conspiracist beliefs. Cognitive insight also mediated the link between Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and Ideas of Reference with conspiracist beliefs. However, analytic thinking provided a mediating link to conspiracy ideation for Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and not Ideas of Reference. Finally, there was an association between Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and need for cognition, but this path did not extend to conspiracist beliefs. These results suggest possible mediating roles for analytic thinking and self-certainty between schizotypy and conspiracist beliefs.

Likes Also, Drapeaux, raskol, highlander liked this post

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It's not a conspiracy theory if it's based upon documented reality.

*Goes off to watch Fahrenheit 9/11*
    Over 40 years ago, we were passing through South Carolina - possibly on our way to Florida.
    For reasons unknown to this day, we were shot to death, execution style, on the side of a dirt road.
    We were a young couple, probably in our early to mid-20s, and may have been French Canadian.
    Our identities have never been established.
    So... Who were we?

Mastermind Fieldmarshal Sacrophagus's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    It's not a conspiracy theory if it's based upon documented reality.

*Goes off to watch Fahrenheit 9/11*
    No one cares about @Bush 's feelings anymore in this goddamned forum.
    الخَيلُ وَاللَيلُ وَالبَيداءُ تَعرِفُني *** وَالسَيفُ وَالرُمحُ وَالقِرطاسُ وَالقَلَمُ
    Swift steeds, dreary nights, and the desolate wasteland, all know me full well
    As do the sword, the spear, the paper and the pen.
    Likes Bush liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I have schizoaffective disorder and think 9/11 could have been an inside job.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Interesting connection here. I think there is a low level of this being encouraged by some facets of society right now, leading to a sort of "mass psychosis" in people who otherwise wouldn't have a pathology. That's the danger of fake news and "free speech" without limit.
    Likes raskol liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drapeaux View Post
    Interesting connection here. I think there is a low level of this being encouraged by some facets of society right now, leading to a sort of "mass psychosis" in people who otherwise wouldn't have a pathology. That's the danger of fake news and "free speech" without limit.
    You may find these interesting on that point, and I think you're right.

&
    Madness and Modernism: Insanity in the Light of Modern Art, Literature and Thought: Amazon.co.uk: Louis A Sass: 9780674541375: Books
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Drapeaux, Zhaylin liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

I dont have schizotypal personality disorder but I do have something similar that I almost view as sort of opposite. Schizotypal personality disorder people tend not to have psychotic symptoms but have odd beliefs- their whole personality relies on escaping reality into those beliefs. I have schizoaffective which means I have fairly frequent psychotic experiences but I try hard to stay away from odd beliefs because I WANT to stay in reality.

Schizotypal personality disorders basicially a subclinical form of schizophrenia with all the the... appearances of schizophrenia without all the symptoms? I dont knlw how to explain this.

Sorry if this has gotten off track.

Basically my plint is- I used to be really in to conspiracy theories- but now I try to stay away from them because I know my mind... and I have to keep it away from those sort of influences otherwise things can get bad quickly. It makes sense though that people sith schizotypal personality disorder seek that stuff out though because- the risk of genuine psychosis thats entirely out of their own control (or at least in large part) is less. So maybe its less dangerous for them?

Anyways. Of course Im not the rule. But thats my experience and understanding. Interesting article though

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I'd be lying if I said I was never intrigued by conspiracy theories. I'd rather not be completely ignorant or blindly follow whatever I'm told without questioning anything.

With that said, a lot of the magic has left certain subjects for me, including this type of thing or the paranormal. I think that's mostly because of depression or blasé attitude though.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes highlander liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I'd be lying if I said I was never intrigued by conspiracy theories. I'd rather not be completely ignorant or blindly follow whatever I'm told without questioning anything.

With that said, a lot of the magic has left certain subjects for me, including this type of thing or the paranormal. I think that's mostly because of depression or blasé attitude though.
    As we come of age, we gradually realize that existing narratives--be they mainstream accounts or fringe conspiracy theories--are condensed expressions of power. And rather than getting caught in the minutia of an explanation, we rightly move to consider the messenger as much as the message. To me, the most depressing realization was that both the mainstream and the fringe largely deserve each other, and that I have to reject both in order to stay authentic.

On a side note, the Ti-Si (INTP) and Si-Ti (ISFJ) loops pave the way for schizotypal behavior. However, we shouldn't overlook the Ni-Fi (INTJ) and Fi-Ni (ISFP) loops, which evoke paranoia and a similar attachment to conspiratorial narratives.
    Likes highlander liked this post