• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Schizotypal facets & conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes

rav3n

The relationship between schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes - ScienceDirect

The relationship between schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs via cognitive processes

Highlights

•Belief in conspiracy theories significantly associated with two facets of schizotypy.
•Analytic thinking and self-certainty mediate these associations.
•Results suggest direct and indirect routes of influence of schizotypy on conspiracy thinking.

Abstract

This study sought to replicate previous work showing relationships between components of schizotypy and conspiracist beliefs, and extend it by examining the mediating role of cognitive processes. An international online sample of 411 women and men (mean age = 35.41 years) completed measures of the schizotypal facets of Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and Ideas of Reference, conspiracist beliefs, and cognitive processes related to need for cognition, analytic thinking, and cognitive insight. Path analysis confirmed the associations between both schizotypal facets and conspiracist beliefs in the present sample. Confirmatory evidence was found for the association between analytic thinking and conspiracist beliefs, and results also suggested an association between cognitive insight and conspiracist beliefs. Cognitive insight also mediated the link between Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and Ideas of Reference with conspiracist beliefs. However, analytic thinking provided a mediating link to conspiracy ideation for Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and not Ideas of Reference. Finally, there was an association between Odd Beliefs or Magical Thinking and need for cognition, but this path did not extend to conspiracist beliefs. These results suggest possible mediating roles for analytic thinking and self-certainty between schizotypy and conspiracist beliefs.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not a conspiracy theory if it's based upon documented reality. :)

*Goes off to watch Fahrenheit 9/11* :popc1:

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have schizoaffective disorder and think 9/11 could have been an inside job.

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Interesting connection here. I think there is a low level of this being encouraged by some facets of society right now, leading to a sort of "mass psychosis" in people who otherwise wouldn't have a pathology. That's the danger of fake news and "free speech" without limit.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Interesting connection here. I think there is a low level of this being encouraged by some facets of society right now, leading to a sort of "mass psychosis" in people who otherwise wouldn't have a pathology. That's the danger of fake news and "free speech" without limit.

You may find these interesting on that point, and I think you're right.

&
Madness and Modernism: Insanity in the Light of Modern Art, Literature and Thought: Amazon.co.uk: Louis A Sass: 9780674541375: Books

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I dont have schizotypal personality disorder but I do have something similar that I almost view as sort of opposite. Schizotypal personality disorder people tend not to have psychotic symptoms but have odd beliefs- their whole personality relies on escaping reality into those beliefs. I have schizoaffective which means I have fairly frequent psychotic experiences but I try hard to stay away from odd beliefs because I WANT to stay in reality.

Schizotypal personality disorders basicially a subclinical form of schizophrenia with all the the... appearances of schizophrenia without all the symptoms? I dont knlw how to explain this.

Sorry if this has gotten off track.

Basically my plint is- I used to be really in to conspiracy theories- but now I try to stay away from them because I know my mind... and I have to keep it away from those sort of influences otherwise things can get bad quickly. It makes sense though that people sith schizotypal personality disorder seek that stuff out though because- the risk of genuine psychosis thats entirely out of their own control (or at least in large part) is less. So maybe its less dangerous for them?

Anyways. Of course Im not the rule. But thats my experience and understanding. Interesting article though

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'd be lying if I said I was never intrigued by conspiracy theories. I'd rather not be completely ignorant or blindly follow whatever I'm told without questioning anything.

With that said, a lot of the magic has left certain subjects for me, including this type of thing or the paranormal. I think that's mostly because of depression or blasé attitude though.

raskol

I'd be lying if I said I was never intrigued by conspiracy theories. I'd rather not be completely ignorant or blindly follow whatever I'm told without questioning anything.

With that said, a lot of the magic has left certain subjects for me, including this type of thing or the paranormal. I think that's mostly because of depression or blasé attitude though.
As we come of age, we gradually realize that existing narratives--be they mainstream accounts or fringe conspiracy theories--are condensed expressions of power. And rather than getting caught in the minutia of an explanation, we rightly move to consider the messenger as much as the message. To me, the most depressing realization was that both the mainstream and the fringe largely deserve each other, and that I have to reject both in order to stay authentic.

On a side note, the Ti-Si (INTP) and Si-Ti (ISFJ) loops pave the way for schizotypal behavior. However, we shouldn't overlook the Ni-Fi (INTJ) and Fi-Ni (ISFP) loops, which evoke paranoia and a similar attachment to conspiratorial narratives.