User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Default Anyone else a HSP, have selective hearing, or synesthesia?

This is something I never get the chance to talk about because it's an reality thing. But I am actually a Highly sensative person. I process sensory information a bit acutely, mostly of the visual and auditorial variety that sometimes overwhelms me and I cannot think properly and get tired quickly if its new information/unfamiliar surroundings. It's a very difficult sensation to describe, thats somewhat similar to a stimulus causing pain in your mind's eye, or a sensation similar to a flinch in response to someone throwing something at you when you're not expecting it, but in a constant barrage. This acuteness also sometimes makes me experience synesthesia. Like a sudden noise makes my minds eye explode with color like a firework. Though it only happens when I am relaxed and not expecting it. I tend to get tunnel vision, or just be completely inside my thoughts and completely oblivious to my surroundings.

My brain has adapted to this pretty well, but as a result I have insane selective hearing. Its not that I only hear what I want to hear, but more that my brain filters out anything I am not focusing on just to function normally. It started when I was pretty young as my parents thought I was deaf and got diagnosed with it. I often time am severely unaware of whats going on around me unless I want to. Though I have over time, learned to somewhat control what my brain filters out. Though it is very difficult to force myself to listen for more than one thing at a time. Even when listening to my mp3, the moment I start reading or thinking I no longer hear it.

Well I don't know about the whole selective hearing thing but many times I feel like a HSP.

1. I've been with people who were fine temperature wise and meanwhile my feet and hands are freezing and my lips are blue.
    2. The quieter the better; I avoid bars that are too loud as well as concerts and sporting events, and my least favorite day is when the lawn people come over to do lawn stuff.
    3. Anything less than 9-10 hours of sleep and I'm very grouchy.
    4. This one time I thought a person was flirting with me but apparently she was just being her normal friendly self -- surely I could have done a better job "shaking it off" when she didn't give me her number.

"I'm very sensitive, some would say that's a plus."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Wow. 690 topics which contain HSP. Yours was the newest @Exolvuntur

I just became aware of HSP, as being an actual thing, a few years ago. I check all but a few of the boxes. I HAVE to have my stimulants, scary tv shows/movies/books, I don't startle easily; and at least one other thing I can no longer remember.

Unmedicated, I behave as if I have narcolepsy while also having mini strokes. I start having "adrenaline surges" (located mostly around my mouth, but face in general), then I'll start nodding off- seeing 2 realities in front of me: a dream first and foremost, and then real life as if behind a screen. By that point, my body starts to slump and if someone speaks to me, my words are extremely slurred. I can fight it for a while, but then I HAVE to sleep. I have no control over it- though I can operate on "auto-pilot" for some time with (at times) humorous and (at times) potentially deadly results (writing in my "sleep" and driving in that state).
    I would also get "brain zaps" from time to time (as if being struck by lightning but only at my head which caused me to JOLT).

I was certain I had catplexia (sp) and narcolepsy and had a sleep study done. Nothing was found besides (at that time) mild sleep apnea and (misdiagnosed) RLS.
    Everyone told me it was just anxiety.
    BUT HOW?! Those things happened even when I was enjoying myself and without a care in the world.

I started seeing a Shrink [p-doc] and was put on meds. The extreme side of all of that went away... MUCH to my annoyance lol. That seemed to only reinforce I have anxiety. Some 15+ years later, I'm still seeing the same p-doc and still taking meds. But I grumble, endlessly, over the anxiety label. I'm not one to fret or fuss about things. I just roll with it.
    A few years ago, though, I was still annoyed by the label and trouble shooting my problem. I said to myself it's as if it's more of a problem with some sort of sensory overload. I googled it and found HSP *whew*.

Reading about it made SO much "click". My parents used to always laugh at how I could fall asleep anywhere and at any time. I'd even fall asleep in the Dentists chair. I slept through school (or tuned it out by writing stories and inventing my own written language). I always avoided large gatherings and loud noises, as best I could. I still DESPISE conflict, chaos and strong emotions (especially negative ones). Clothing drove me absolutely batty and, to this day, I still wear my socks and undies inside/out and cut the tags out of my clothes.
    I've always "read" people either one-on-one or as a group/crowd. I anticipate their needs and act accordingly.

What I'm most curious about now is how all of this molds or changes our MBTI etc.
    I'm an INFP but I tend to present more as an "S". My N has dropped over the years to only 53-ish%.

Ahh yes. Pain. That was the other item I didn't check. I have a fairly high threshold.

Another topic made me search for a thread here (Gift: What is your special gift in life?).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    963 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Tbh I've never been diagnosed with this, but I did research and it sounds like me. Took one of the tests. "If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive". I got..24! Being sensitive to noise and temperature, being anxious, the self-consciousnesses, being startled easily, the empathy-it all suits me. But yeah, I might have it, I might not.
    9w1/Phlegmatic/Hufflepuff/Aries
    Typology server I admin:
    https://discord.gg/tEyctFk

“What?! I'm not small! It's the world that's too big!!”-Edward Elric

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Yes. I have synesthesia as well as HSP.

Synesthesia colors. I never notice how much I base and use names, numbers in certain ways based off their colors. To colors I perceive and have always perceived them as. Robobot is blue with a touch of purple, zhaylin is very yellow. Z, S, and C are all yellow and tied together to me. I get them mixed up. Exolvuntur starts green with the E, but is white-ish blueish-purple. My own name Kanra is purple to me. My favorite color.

As with HSP, it's what can make me seem feelery at times because I am extremely sensitive to sensations, emotions(usually angry ones, and in some cases empathy but I've reserved that for very specific circumstances, otherwise it's mostly shut off because it's a lot easier to cope that way), lights, sounds, temperature, heat. Much heat makes me feel sick. I'm easily cold. Most food makes me feel sick. Sun rays hurt my eyes going outside. (I'm probably just a Vampire though like my friends joked, let's be honest!) Prescription drugs effect me more than others too. And I can't drink much alcohol or smoke much. I can't go to concerts or parties or anything too active. Even the store can be a little difficult. Driving is difficult as well. Sensitive to relationships too I feel it more than others if I'm betrayed. It is all because there is too much information all at once which is very hard to process. For this reason I'm not always a good multitasker even. Quite annoying, and the HSP results in depersonalization so everything feels fake to boot. It's really quite wonderful - I wouldn't trade it for anything!

It's nice to see others feel similar too. Not just me.

Interesting, OP, that you have selective hearing. I have selective Empathy. Also adaptation.

But I love ASMR because of the strong sensations that are elicited, or should I say "Tingles", a cringey word for something most delightful indeed. perhaps a little obsessed
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

Alignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral (Rational Neutral - Rebel Neutral)
    House: Slytherin
    ENTP-Ti / Logical

9w8, 5w4, 3w4 sx/so

In theory: the wings create a strong 4ish imprint

How fascinating the mind is.

Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone, Zhaylin liked this post

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    EXFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    HIGH Fi

Quote Originally Posted by robobot14 View Post
    Tbh I've never been diagnosed with this, but I did research and it sounds like me. Took one of the tests. "If you answered more than fourteen of the questions as true of yourself, you are probably highly sensitive". I got..24! Being sensitive to noise and temperature, being anxious, the self-consciousnesses, being startled easily, the empathy-it all suits me. But yeah, I might have it, I might not.
    The same for me, I took a test and saw a few documentaries.
    I was fed up to wear "borderline" on my forehead due to some people around me who couldn't understand my search
    for truths, my intellectual passions, and were just into judgement. Not everyone is able to feel compassion after all, most people have no choice (they are crawling in the mud of their ego).

Now I do accept my strenghts and "black spots" and refuse any kind of negative judgement (which is different from constructive comments).
    I do need to sleep at least 9 hours (winter time)

I never went into depression (I have an ISFJ friend who is HSP, he reached that point),
    I have had anorexia long long time ago because.....(after a few analyses) no feeling was allowed to come out in my family (toxic surrounding in more than one way).

Due to how I had been leading my own boat I think myself more like an alchemist than an HSP. Now I am in a position where I can help other HSP (and others).
    It is also more positive for my ego to accept, calling it this way, as it changes the symbolism into my own life.
    I won't stop repeating it : Sensitivity (not victimisation, which is indeed a burden) is a WONDERFUL GIFT to celebrate (alone or with the right people).
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

Dare observing your shadows (50 shades of darkness) for your own well-being Unfortunately we are all fucking contagious Smile and see what happens around you......
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I present to you~

The Synesthesiac MBTI

ENTP
    INTP
    ENTJ
    INTJ
    ENFP
    INFP
    ENFJ
    INFJ
    ESTP
    ISTP
    ESTJ
    ISTJ
    ESFP
    ISFP
    ESFJ
    ISFJ

The Synesthesiac Enneagram

1w2
    1w9
    2w1
    2w3
    3w2
    3w4
    4w3
    4w5
    5w4
    5w6
    6w5
    6w7
    7w6
    7w8
    8w7
    8w9
    9w1
    9w8

Something fun to do

9 = white btw, but if I did actual white obviously it'd be blank, also I switched to gold in ennea because yellow in mbti is hard to see
    "A life that lives without doing anything is the same as a slow death." - Lelouch Vi Britannia

ENTP-Ti / Logical

9w8, 5w4, 3w4 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Wow @Kanra13 !
    Life must be so much more interesting or beautiful (kind of like seeing color in the novel "the Giver").
    Likes Kanra13 liked this post

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaylin View Post
    Wow @<a href="https://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/25563.html" target="_blank">Kanra13</a> !
    Life must be so much more interesting or beautiful (kind of like seeing color in the novel "the Giver").
    Oh woah, that novel. I remember this one! I read it a long time ago in school if I recall correctly! I get the reference

I wouldn't say it's quite THAT amazing but it's fun. Except when you get mixed up because of the colors blurring words and letters, numbers, together in some instances and finding out they aren't related because most the world doesn't see that relation that you see. And you have to adjust a lot to how this world is. Also I'm kinda OCD about the colors, numbers, words, being different colors it kinda throws me off when others draw random different colors it can confuse me.

Her colors are different, but anyway I like how she explains how it works

ENTP-Ti / Logical

9w8, 5w4, 3w4 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Thanks for sharing the video
    That fascinates me how people even THINK differently. My eldest daughter, thinks in pictures. I think in spoken words (my own voice usually).

I didn't discover that book until my own kids had to read it in school lol. Turns out, there were 2 more after it (or some such). I keep wanting to find them.
    Likes Kanra13 liked this post