User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Why are millennials so miserable?

Interesting video.

Are there any millennials here who do not fit the bill as he describes them (beginning around the 5:00 mark)? If so, in which way?

Rise of the far right.

Also neo-liberalism.

Also regular liberalism.

Also LGBT liberalism.

Think that about covers it.
    Likes Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    583 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Rise of the far right.

Also neo-liberalism.

Also regular liberalism.

Also LGBT liberalism.

Think that about covers it.
    And terrorism

And climate change

And decaying infrastructure

And opioid crisis

And reality TV

And unhealthy food

....... etc.

MBTI
    SINE

High expectations due to family and media influence and multiple other reasons.....The extremes of society are more readily displayed today relative to the past, hence, our standards for our success increase. Millennial's are constantly seeking external validation (think snap-chat, instagram, facebook, exc), which causes our neurotransmitters to adapt to the new level of stimulus. Further, we become more resistant to the positive effects over time if an addiction (repetition) is formed. Therefore, we may form new addictions to compensate, however, this creates chaos within the body. It sucks our energy over time due to constant abuse. We can only set the bar so high, and it's proportional to our strengths....Those at the extremes are far more gifted than us in certain areas, thus, we may direct toward a bumpy road.....Hence, failure is likely to plummet towards us. By seeking outward stimulus to define our well being impulsively, we are reducing our ability to mitigate future problems. Recurring problems can sap our well being and potentially lead to further abuse, which causes a viscous cycle.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    Are there any millennials here who do not fit the bill as he describes them (beginning around the 5:00 mark)?
    Yes.

If so, in which way?
    I'm religious but not spiritual. And I have some historical perspective.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    High expectations due to family and media influence and multiple other reasons.....The extremes of society are more readily displayed today relative to the past, hence, our standards for our success increase. Millennial's are constantly seeking external validation (think snap-chat, instagram, facebook, exc), which causes our neurotransmitters to adapt to the new level of stimulus. Further, we become more resistant to the positive effects over time if an addiction (repetition) is formed. Therefore, we may form new addictions to compensate, however, this creates chaos within the body. It sucks our energy over time due to constant abuse. We can only set the bar so high, and it's proportional to our strengths....Those at the extremes are far more gifted than us in certain areas, thus, we may direct toward a bumpy road.....Hence, failure is likely to plummet towards us. By seeking outward stimulus to define our well being impulsively, we are reducing our ability to mitigate future problems. Recurring problems can sap our well being and potentially lead to further abuse, which causes a viscous cycle.
    This is an interesting concept. I don't disagree that this makes (everyone) miserable but as most things in society which are horrible for us, we do it to ourselves. No one is forcing us, yet we can't seem to stop (as a society)
    It's as easy as turning off the computer (or not picking up the phone) and walking away.

TBH, for me, avoiding it all together has been easy but that may be because I've never really been one to follow trends or to do anything for the sake of fitting in. I have to say I can't even imagine what it would take for me to get dragged into it. Yet, so, many people do so clearly there is something pulling the proverbial strings.

I guess it comes down to the same choice it always has; sell your soul to fit in, or stay true to yourself and eternally alone.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Millennials, or Generation Y as we used to be called only a few years back, don't have a chance at the opportunities that older generations have historically had. Are there some exceptions? Yes, but they're the spawn of oligarchs. For the majority of us, it is a herculean task to find work, any work, cough up tuition money (if one wants to get an education or post-secondary training of some sort), and the idea of homeownership is laughable to most of us. In about early 2008, when I started hearing talk of a "global recession," I was entering my junior year of high school and didn't think much of it. Like most sixteen year-olds, I was naive. I thought the whole thing would blow over, and mistakenly believed that it was a select few major corporations doing the lay-offs, or had something to do with the stock markets. Stuff far removed from my reality. I had a vague notion that it wasn't good, but I was also self-centered and didn't get real concerned because hey, it's not affecting me or anyone I know.

Then, classmates of mine started losing their homes. Lots of people's parents were losing their jobs or getting furloughed. I live in close proximity to a military proving ground, which is the area's biggest employer. So-called "recession-proof" jobs were being cut and hiring freezes ensued. A CVS drugstore opened in town my senior year, and I tried applying to work there - never heard back. This would happen innumerable times over the next few years, like a broken record. It didn't matter where I applied, be it a cafe, corner store, or retail chain. Even some time after getting my Associate's degree, I couldn't find a job. Everybody was broke. Everybody still is. I've read article after article trying to wrap my head around what the hell happened. Closure is hard to come by, and at this point I'm just waiting for something resembling an apology to working-class and middle-class America, particularly millennials and Gen X-ers, who are too young to get on Social Security or Medicare. Basically, those of us who actually need to earn a living and would like to have careers - but can't.

Speaking as a "rural American," it's really sad how so many people around here have just given up. They're just living day by day, chasing their drug of choice and applying for their food stamps, never seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and spreading their negativistic mindset like a disease on the rest of us. Many of these people - including family members of mine - voted Trump out of desperation. He's not "bringing back the jobs." Remember, when "economic recovery" started, it was only recovery for a tiny percentage of the populace, mostly city-dwellers. The video below is pretty much how my town is, and it's the young (and very old) who suffer the most acutely from our politicians', banks', and big businesses' mistakes.

NAFTA, "trickle-down" economics, and offshoring (not to mention automation) have spelled out the writing on the wall for most youth and twenty-somethings in the West. It's probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better, and I hate to be grim, but it could take years (and the 60+ crowd to start dying off) for millennials to have our policies instituted. We are the warriors here, taking to the streets and writing to our elected officials (most of whom are sadly out of touch, red or blue). I just hope that when the day comes that we do get affordable healthcare and education, UBI, and clean air and water, Gen Z and Generation Alpha (my future kid?) will see what we've done and not take it for granted. We millennials need to stress to the younger generations that you cannot ever take it easy, or think that even the most fundamental necessities of life are going to continue to remain within your grasp - you need to actually organize, mobilize and demand these "rights." They could be yanked away again at a moment's notice at the whim of the elites.

Mystery couple found dead on a dirt path. Shot execution style. Identities unknown to this day.
    Help us get justice for "Jacques" and Jane Doe.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Lack of preparation and education in the realms of expectation management and emotional resilience.
    Which I don't blame generation Y, aka millennials, for. Led into a nihilistic nightmare by those who only thought ahead a few days at a time.

Frankly I'm of that generation. And I can take responsibility, to a reasonable degree of assumption based on free will. But I cannot take responsibility for the unconscious shaping that I and others underwent via our environment and the inception of maladaptive ideas I was raised under.
    All that's left is to learn to recognise these and slowly chip away at them and hope it didn't set me back too far.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Yuu, hurl3y4456 liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Most people don't understand that an actual "Millennial" is anyone under 40. No, I really do not relate to 20 yr olds. I think there should be a distinction between those remember the world before internet and those who do not.

There also, most of all, needs to be a distinction of class. A lot of these negative stereotypes attributed to "millennial" in general; laziness, entitlement, being unable to "even deal today" avocado toast ect. those are what we call Hipstersthey are typically the offspring of Yuppies. They are vile "people" who have always had everything paid for and done by Mommy and Daddy, tend to get do-nothing jobs which pay an upwards of 250k a yr and think that the world owes them everything.

They are not the same "millennial" as in "of this generation" who get shit jobs in the service industry and would like to buy a home and go on vacation once in a decade but also do not want to lose their garbage jobs.

Still, I am sick of the " Our future was stolen!" meme. It's true, things are very tough right now. Upward mobility is not nearly as achievable as it once was but this "we have NO opportunity" is bullshit. equal opportunity is not a thing but every living person has some opportunity to a varying degree. I feel people who use this mantra often just want an excuse. try, dammit.
    Yeah, in today's world you may bust your ass for nothing but you will definitely get nada if you sit around saying " Can't. Future stolen. " while playing video games in your comfy apartment playing $60 video games via high speed internet on your $3000 gaming computer and call it "Escapism."
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”
    Likes Cellmold, SurrealisticSlumbers liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealisticSlumbers View Post
    In about early 2008, when I started hearing talk of a "global recession," I was entering my junior year of high school and didn't think much of it. Like most sixteen year-olds, I was naive. I thought the whole thing would blow over, and mistakenly believed that
    A lot of people were mistaken about the severity of the economic crisis. I'm younger than you are granted, I would probably be classified more of as on the cusp between Y and Z. I remember the reactions to it being very shocked in general. I wasn't surprised to be honest. My parents had seen the writing on the walls for years. The area my parents come from had been deteriorating rapidly ever since the 70s and 80s. My parents saw banks giving away loans people would not be able to pay back, people "living beyond their means," and a lot of irresponsible financial choices in general. So, I can't say I was surprised and I can't say I expected it to be brief. I was young, but with the little I knew what my parents said just made a lot of sense to me.
    Closure is hard to come by, and at this point I'm just waiting for something resembling an apology to working-class and middle-class America, particularly millennials and Gen X-ers, who are too young to get on Social Security or Medicare. Basically, those of us who actually need to earn a living and would like to have careers - but can't.
    I doubt there will be an apology. The preferred response is to blame it on the people who are struggling. This is, of course ridiculous, since so much of this is not the individual's fault.

Sadly, Social Security will have run out by the time today's young adults will be old enough to access it. This is just a shame.

Speaking as a "rural American," it's really sad how so many people around here have just given up. They're just living day by day, chasing their drug of choice and applying for their food stamps, never seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and spreading their negativistic mindset like a disease on the rest of us. Many of these people - including family members of mine - voted Trump out of desperation. He's not "bringing back the jobs." Remember, when "economic recovery" started, it was only recovery for a tiny percentage of the populace, mostly city-dwellers. The video below is pretty much how my town is, and it's the young (and very old) who suffer the most acutely from our politicians', banks', and big businesses' mistakes.
    Well, the rural poor are called the invisible poor for a reason..

People like to say the economy is booming, but it is not really when we have so many people going through what you have described. These people feel dejected and left behind and that's why they voted in droves for Trump and I can understand why. For many, it seems to be a blame game of people pointing fingers and never getting to the issue of whatever problems could be.

I think the elite are out of touch with this segment of the population. Horrifically out of touch. And even the figures these people feel they can turn to I still think are out of touch. Now, Trump might genuinely care about the struggles faced by many of his supporters. Sure, but I don't think he really understands what it is like. I think we also need new, younger blood as leadership.

And I think the increasing polarization of our communities is only excacerbating the problem. People need to work together, not bunker down in an echo chamber of an "us versus them" context. The people have common interests. For the most part. So culture then becomes increasingly hostile.

I only hope future generations can improve on this.

In a lot of "Trump Country" among the people who could be considered "white trash" it is just a horrifically sad situation for people in general. A lot of them are very easily deceived due to anger. There's also large swaths of them who are uneducated. (I know of many highly intelligent Trump supporters, so I'm not trying to call them stupid to deride them. This is just an observation.)
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, LittleCat liked this post