• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Four Days of Intensive Therapy Can Reverse OCD for Years

rav3n

Do any members suffer from OCD?

4 Days of Intensive Therapy Can Reverse OCD for Years - Scientific American

Earlier this year, Kvale, Hansen and their colleagues reported findings from a long-term analysis of the treatment’s effects. The study, published August in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, revealed that 56 of 77 patients remained in remission four years after treatment—and that 41 of the 56 had fully recovered. Treatment outcome was independent of whether participants had previously undergone therapy or were on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Cipralex, commonly used medications for OCD. When the team members compared their findings to published analyses of other less-intensive exposure treatments, they found that the Bergen technique led to significantly higher rates of remission and recovery.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, but I have to pay £100,000 to some guy claiming to be my brother so that he can treat his OCD that my father was apparently somehow responsible for. I'd like to know how much this treatment actually costs lol. Probably not £100,000.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE

Interesting....So, facing the trigger can induce a reaction to regress a future response....It makes sense though since it allows our body to adapt to a critical state of stress. We eventually build up a tolerance and hence, the same level of stress in the future will induce a lesser response. I used to suffer from "hypochondria," which initiated OCD in certain aspects of my life....I was able to get out of the situation by focusing on the adrenal glands, so I could be more resistant to future stressors.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One problem is that it is not possible to face all triggers in this manner.

rav3n

There isn't a perfect treatment in mental or physical health. That said, this treatment kicks ass, relative to long-term to lifetime recovery rates.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unless you've tried the treatment, I don't think you can comment so assertively about its comfort or not.

I'm not going to describe and defend my illness to you.

I was pointing out one potential problem with the treatment, a problem that seems extremely obvious to me, and was not saying the entire program is worthless by any means. Of course it's valuable, it's just not going to work in every case.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
This sounds pretty great.
I wonder if this can help me at all. It isn’t OCD but definitly habitually self-destructive behavior.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At least you recognize this.

If you read the opening post, there was no assertion of such so this would technically be a strawman fallacy.

You know not everything is an argument, right?

:doh:

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I'm not going to describe and defend my illness to you.

I was pointing out one potential problem with the treatment, a problem that seems extremely obvious to me, and was not saying the entire program is worthless by any means. Of course it's valuable, it's just not going to work in every case.

There's limitations to every program (some yield more positive results than others)...The key is to keep expanding options (programs) to pertain to a larger subset of people, and eventually the sum total of all programs may overlap with all sufferers.

rav3n

This sounds pretty great.
I wonder if this can help me at all. It isn’t OCD but definitly habitually self-destructive behavior.
No idea but there are a lot of possibilities relative to therapy and human cognition, even if the problems are genetic, considering the impacts of epigenetics, relative to RNA.

rav3n

In case no one noticed in the excerpt in the opening post, people who were on pharmas continued receiving pharmas until it was ascertained that the treatment worked.

Also, this:

Kvale immediately recruited Hansen, who had spent many years practicing the so-called “LEan into The anxiety” or LET-technique—a method of encouraging individuals with OCD to focus specifically on anxiety-eliciting moments—which eventually formed the core foundation of the Bergen treatment.

Not sure how there are situations where this isn't possible since triggers are in the mind and not created through exposure to concrete reality.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
In case no one noticed in the excerpt in the opening post, people who were on pharmas continued receiving pharmas until it was ascertained that the treatment worked.

Also, this:

Not sure how there are situations where this isn't possible since triggers are in the mind and not created through exposure to concrete reality.

It's a reaction of the mind (unconscious) in which the catalyst is external stimulus. I've noticed that people with OCD tend to be very detail orientated....yet in this case, it's a hyper-focus on certain details/rituals. I believe people with OCD have accelerated pattern recognition in certain areas. At a young age, it's quite normal to immerse in repetitive behavior to an extent. With OCD, this repetitive behavior tends to the extreme and get ingrained within one's identity by predisposition. The best way to beat the illness is by conditioning. Must somehow force the mind to reject the recurring irrational behavior, which was induced by conditioning the mind to resort to such behavior for comfort....Of course, certain brain abnormalities can make the condition seem inescapable. I'm not well versed on OCD, so correct any misconception.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have OCD but it's great that you posted this. I know that this is a hard condition to deal with.

rav3n

I don't have OCD but it's great that you posted this. I know that this is a hard condition to deal with.
Did a bit more research and apparently, it works on all sorts of anxiety disorders. They're currently testing it on panic disorders.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Sooo I don't have anxiety or OCD but- I've never shared this cuz it's a bit personal but at this point it needs to be dealt with- the medication I've said I take to stay alive?
I ..don't. At least not as often as i should. pretty sure it's why my health is getting worse.

I don't dismiss it intentionally, not to be rebellious or because I have something to prove-did that already, died for it, got a 2nd chance, currently blowing it.
When people ask me "Why don't you take it" I have only been able to say " I don't know." It's like it just never occurs to me. It does not exist in my world. It isn't denial either, at least not consciously.,

A few of my very intelligent friends have suggested that it's because my Grandmother got really abusive if I didn't take it. Instead of being grateful for the life-saving stuff I loathed it and it became the most negative influence in my life.

The rational response would be " Well then I should have just learned to take it." but said friends think that since it was such a negative my irrational subconscious just decided it wasn't going to deal with it. Ever.
(Hence my rant blaming my Grandmother)

Is that too personal? I know you guys aren't my therapist but I can't get a single one to see me. I thought if maybe I explained the severity of the situation-with the proper which, sounds like some of you guys might know-I might get someone to listen.

My friends have suggested something called "cognitive...behavioral...something therapy." Is that similar?