• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

DRAMA

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Drama at least in the entertainment sense:
Good when stuff happens.
Bad when it’s stale and they argue and nothing gets done lol

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
What if we pivot here and talk about drama and conflict on a bit of a larger scale?

I was thinking of Venezuela. Since the global downturn they seem to have suffered immensely. Hyperinflation, food insecurities, rioting - all things that point to an unstable country both politically and economically.

The news I have seen out of Venezuela has focused more on elections and leadership (personality) and less in solving the underlying conditions that caused the collapse in the first place or what to do now that they are in the position they are in.

It’s possible I don’t have all the details about what’s happening in Venezuela, so I’m happy to learn more. Or maybe someone has a better example of larger scale “drama”, please share.

I guess my question would be, are the Venezuelans moving the deck chairs around or are they solving the issues that are causing their country so much harm. Collectively (and I think this applies to all countries) is it easier to focus on things like leadership change and the theatre of politics than it is on hard work and tough decisions that can bring about change? (I realize the two are somewhat connected, I’d argue not completely(

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
That's not the definition of drama.

I think it is an attribute of someone who is known to be dramatic often but no, not the overall definition.

The subject of parenting causing dram is interesting but I don't think it is as simple as " it's all parents all the time." One thing that really stuck with me while studying psych was that it is "Un-shared experience" which makes us the people we are. I think my sister and I are prime examples.

I quickly came to the conclusion that when my Father (or anyone) screamed at me it was because they were trying to assert their power over me and that if I did not feel or react in the way they wanted they had no power. So I learned not to say express or feel anything. This hasn't changed any as an adult.
My sister on the other hand-oi. She always was and still is perfect walking example of a "Drama Queen".
Eventually my Father screamed at me less and targeted my sister more

This is where the unshared experience was came in to play.

My sister and I were very different. She was considered talented, she had a multitude of extra curricular activities, tons of friends and was well-loved by our Mother. She always had a support system to run to. No doubt the bigger she reacted the greater response (support/comfort) she would get.
Teachers /school staff hated me ( actually they hated my parents) no friends our clubs to go to. Nowhere to run to.
It's ironic, that in a way I was doing the same thing my Father was; trying to get a response from someone and giving up when I learned I wasn't going to get one. Not going to get support so stop trying, stop reacting. Learn to live without it.

It's quite possible that had I the support group my sister did I may have become a drama queen too * shudder*

I think that ,yes, parental influence is very impactful but it isn't as great as the sum of the unsharred experience we have out in the wide world.

rav3n

As a generality, drama appears to be other people's shit but one's own shit is called 'concerns'.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
“a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces”

Mole

Permabanned
As a generality, drama appears to be other people's shit but one's own shit is called 'concerns'.
We are moving from the literate individual who is emotionally disengaged to an electronic tribe that is emotionally engaged.

This is a difficult transition to make as we are not yet familiar with tribal engagement. And to kickstart our emotional engagement, we stage a litany of dramas.

Our dramas are our new classroom where we learn to become emotionally engaged with one another.

Naturally we are on a learning curve and we have much to learn.

Metis

“a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces”

This definition could also apply to some extent, with respect to how people enact a mindset:

"A prose or verse composition, especially one telling a serious story, that is intended for representation by actors impersonating the characters and performing the dialogue and action."

Related to drama in another sense is this definition of theater:

"A large geographic area in which military operations are coordinated: the European theater during World War II."

drama - definition and meaning
theater - definition and meaning
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Lib

Permabanned
What if we pivot here and talk about drama and conflict on a bit of a larger scale?

I was thinking of Venezuela. Since the global downturn they seem to have suffered immensely. Hyperinflation, food insecurities, rioting - all things that point to an unstable country both politically and economically.

The news I have seen out of Venezuela has focused more on elections and leadership (personality) and less in solving the underlying conditions that caused the collapse in the first place or what to do now that they are in the position they are in.

It’s possible I don’t have all the details about what’s happening in Venezuela, so I’m happy to learn more. Or maybe someone has a better example of larger scale “drama”, please share.

I guess my question would be, are the Venezuelans moving the deck chairs around or are they solving the issues that are causing their country so much harm. Collectively (and I think this applies to all countries) is it easier to focus on things like leadership change and the theatre of politics than it is on hard work and tough decisions that can bring about change? (I realize the two are somewhat connected, I’d argue not completely(
So how would you resolve the situation in Venezuela? What kind of hard work would remove dictatorship?

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
So how would you resolve the situation in Venezuela? What kind of hard work would remove dictatorship?

Would the problems exist if they had a different government?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Often people don't care about precision, for any number of reasons, be it informal setting, or where simply language mirrors the gist of their reasoning, notwithstanding room for/awareness of the existence of more nuance and detail. And I think most of the time it's fine, as most people can get the idea without getting worked up about that imprecision.

It's the outliers, like people having a chip on their shoulder, paranoid, or looking for a bone to pick, that can get triggered with that, IMO, which is often a catalyst for drama.
There is no accounting for what will trigger some folks. I was speaking not about precision, though, but about accuracy. They are not the same. Some people, of course, care for neither, but when a simple change of wording will provide especially the latter, I find the benefit far outweighs the cost.

By that definition, World War II was a great drama. Perhaps that is why one refers to the "Pacific theater" and "European theater".

A revolution or armed coup.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
A revolution or armed coup.

I think there are better ways.

Address the underlying causes that supported the rise to power in the first place. I’m not sure you can kill your way to peace.

ducks

Permabanned
Why can't you kill your way to peace? Pretty much every civilization we have today got to where they were through killing and murder and claiming and supporting their own power. A large part of stability and control is being able to put down insurrection. It's just unique when the insurrection wins and puts their own power structures in place. It's the duality of man - war and peace go hand in hand. But it's probably debatable if humanity has ever really achieved a true peace or if it even exists at all.

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone else noticed how it's a red flag when someone puts in their profile "I don't do drama" or "I hate drama" or generally complains about drama? I'm not talking bitching to friends. I mean people who define themselves like this on dating websites, forum profiles, etc. It seems like these people are usually sources of drama in their lives.

It kind of reminds me of girls who define themselves as only having male friends because "all other girls are total bitches" and "I'm not like other girls" lmao

ducks

Permabanned
YES! It's like when someone says "I'm a nice guy" or something like that and it makes you wonder why they feel the need to say that, like they are trying to prove it to themselves.

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YES! It's like when someone says "I'm a nice guy" or something like that and it makes you wonder why they feel the need to say that, like they are trying to prove it to themselves.

+10000

Nice guys don't realize that being nice is like a baseline tenet of being a suitable partner and decent human being (like respecting consent!), it isn't exemplary...

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Why can't you kill your way to peace? Pretty much every civilization we have today got to where they were through killing and murder and claiming and supporting their own power. A large part of stability and control is being able to put down insurrection. It's just unique when the insurrection wins and puts their own power structures in place. It's the duality of man - war and peace go hand in hand. But it's probably debatable if humanity has ever really achieved a true peace or if it even exists at all.

Lib

Permabanned
I think there are better ways.

Address the underlying causes that supported the rise to power in the first place. I’m not sure you can kill your way to peace.
He holds everything and won't let go. The only way is a bloody revolution. It's not just peace, it's justice.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
He holds everything and won't let go. The only way is a bloody revolution. It's not just peace, it's justice.

Justice opens a lot of doors in this conversation. There are some pretty interesting theories about why justice is so important and it definitely relates to the idea of “drama”.

Can you explain your underlying view of justice and its benefit to society as a whole?

Lib

Permabanned
Justice opens a lot of doors in this conversation. There are some pretty interesting theories about why justice is so important and it definitely relates to the idea of “drama”.

Can you explain your underlying view of justice and its benefit to society as a whole?
My views: for every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action.
People think that just because justice is not immediately administrated the memory, the pain and anger is going to go away and dissipate into the nothingness, but it always comes back at some point, in some form. The more it's suppressed, the greater is the damage it causes eventually because of the build-up. I think it's best if everybody gets what they deserve asap for the sake of the balance. Take slavery, or lynching, for example. Anyone still holding the illusion that this file is closed?

What was the reason for the nationalistic moods in Germany leading to the rise of the Nazi? What is the reason for Russian antagonism? People tend to forget that there will always be consequences.