• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Analyze this

Lib

Permabanned
What is the idea of this painting in your opinion?

Please, don't look it up before answering, if you haven't come across it before.

79738444963af81db6c96d643c045096.jpg

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
No, sorry, I can't find much meaning in this picture at all. It appears to be nothing more than a number of odd things placed next to each other. An interesting picture, but if it means anything I'm struggling to understand what. I suppose I could make up some narrative about people being taught to blend into their society, but even I don't find that very convincing.

Lib

Permabanned
No, sorry, I can't find much meaning in this picture at all. It appears to be nothing more than a number of odd things placed next to each other. An interesting picture, but if it means anything I'm struggling to understand what. I suppose I could make up some narrative about people being taught to blend into their society, but even I don't find that very convincing.
Fair enough. There are many paintings I can't relate to at all.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To show your developed painting skills ? (but that probably isn't the type of answer you are looking for)

Lib

Permabanned
To show your developed painting skills ? (but that probably isn't the type of answer you are looking for)
Mine? I'm not the painter. It's the most famous work of Dominique Appia. I suck at painting...

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would take it as a representation of all the places you can go when you read, of all the worlds that exist in books.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Half the house (I assume everything in the image is the entire house) has children,
the other half is darker and leads to the outside with buildings and machines, with an adult staring in from the door-

My overall impression is that this is drawn from the perspective of the child(ren), where their worlds are still small and only within the confines of the place they grew in. They can't see much / do not know much of what is out there, thus the strange outdoors. The leaning tower of Pisa is straightened, probably by one of the children, to 'fix' it, maybe? - not knowing that the real thing actually is slanted. There are a lot of books, but they're being burnt, maybe because it's cold outside? The adult does nothing but stare. The children are left to their own devices and their own worlds, their clothes, symbolic of protection, maybe? Is blended in with their environment; that is all they have.

As for the adult and the adult's side, hair is symbolic of beauty. Aside from their hair, there is nothing green out there, and some plants are being transported (?) by a hot hair balloon. Adults have torn down the earth, it has frozen and flooded over, maybe symbolizing how the adults (the previous generation) stripped the earth for their own shallow gains (the hair). The window behind the adult shows a different landscape in entirely- probably showing what it truly looks like outside (it is the only window showing something realistic). But it's distant (from the children), and we can't really see, only guess what is in the silhouettes. The moon is a peculiar little detail, but I can't tell what it's supposed to mean. The adult is reduced to just a head, no hands, no body, no arms, they can't walk over and do anything to/with the children, only watch- since this might be seen from the children's perspective, it might mean how the children perceive their adult's presence (very, very absent).

TLDR; the neglect of the previous generation leaves the children with a planet that is slowly dying over. Children stay in their homes unknowing and not understanding the outer world circumstances, they are uneducated, despite the house being full of books (again, out of neglect / absence of actual supervision/guidance).

I think he did a little too much LDS. Sorry- Star Trek IV reference.

*Puts on beret and black glasses* It looks like a representation of the crossroads of the human imagination and the mundanity of everyday life. A tide of thought crashing upon the shores of the senses. The merging of the human mind and the external universe.

Perhaps the girls symbolize a child’s view of the world. At any moment the plain and practical can begin to shift into a fantastic realm of possibilities through the drive of minds unburdened by adult realizations that restrain creativity. Anything is possible.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The artist wished to paint. This is what happened. Perhaps the artist didnt create the art at all...perhaps twas the art which produced the artist...

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The artist wished to paint. This is what happened. Perhaps the artist didnt create the art at all...perhaps twas the art which produced the artist...

* as an artist, blanks out and begins questioning his entire existence *

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Mine? I'm not the painter. It's the most famous work of Dominique Appia. I suck at painting...

Nope, who ever painted that.
It seems to be pretty high quality and I even get a general sense of deliberation.

Losing oneself inside of one's imagination. I see all of the elements incorporated as well. Air with the hot air balloon, earth with the the man and the foliage as hair, fire on the books, and water with the ocean coming through the door. However, I see it all coming in to destroy their inner world, and it will take the children with them since they are enmeshed in it. The books burning indicates that getting rid of anything that provides them ideas for their inner world will kill them in the end too. They might as well not exist either. The ocean will also drown them out. I think it's showing the importance of imaginative thinking, and as children this is something that is imperative growing up. Without it, we would be soulless creatures; it would kill the child in all of us. Or perhaps it's saying that becoming too consumed in it is also hazardous for one's health growing up.

However, there are a few things that confuse me. What is that green thing in the hot hair balloon? A shrub of sorts? Poison ivy? Not sure what the large face of the man with green leaves for hair means either. Maybe his hair will keep growing like a chia plant and the house will be destroyed that way? And I'm assuming that's ice of sorts underneath the hot air balloon. Once it enters the house, it melts away the surrounding ice, revealing a rocky surface. The tree inside is also missing leaves. Just a skeleton of it is left, implying it's dead.

Since every one of the elements is associated with a negative implication, maybe reality for them is turbulent, so escaping into one's imagination is the only way to escape reality itself. Or maybe it's better outside, since once the elements enter the house is when they run amok. And the children are disappearing with everything those elements are killing. Having a rich imagination is all well, but the need to live in reality is something much needed too, otherwise it would over consume us in the end. I think that's one possibility, but the other one where killing one's imagination would kill the soul of a child is another. Not sure where I stand on an exact interpretation, but those are the few I could come up with.

Lib

Permabanned
I think the beauty of this painting is that everybody, well, almost, creates their own art out of it, as it seems. And the painter also put his idea in it.

Permabanned
I think the beauty of this painting is that everybody, well, almost, creates their own art out of it, as it seems. And the painter also put his idea in it.

That's the basic premise of every piece of art ever.

Permabanned
Well, that's true. But that one doesn't leave room for conventional interpretation... like many others, I know.

wtf is a conventional interpretation of a piece of art. /rhetorical question

Lib

Permabanned
wtf is a conventional interpretation of a piece of art. /rhetorical question
Seriously?!/rhetorical answer
There is a lot of art that captures the mood of the time and the state of contemporary culture - art for the masses.

Also, this is surrealism...

Permabanned
Seriously?!/rhetorical answer
There is a lot of art that captures the mood of the time and the state of contemporary culture - art for the masses.

Also, this is surrealism...

The concept of what is a conventional art interpretation is so subjective it's ludicrous to even ask.