• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is harder for you to accept?

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A talent of mine. I am VERY transparent about my shortcomings and can apologize easily. Addicted to omphaloskepsis, yadda yadda.

My former therapist told me I had to learn to be more arrogant about acknowledging my strengths. Some toxic family members growing up tried to make me constantly doubt myself and my abilities especially so I'd be dependent on them. I haven't spoken to them in many years which is good. Luckily, I have gotten a lot better about acknowledging how good I am at things since working on myself. I now see myself (much of the time anyway) as the boss ass bitch I am.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd agree with the argument of context. Also, both are very hard for me to accept, but that's probably just a self-esteem issue

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
I would say my talents. Because from time to time I even doubt if I even have them. I don't put enough effort in them. Which makes it even more annoying, because I know I am 'good' at something, that I have potential, or that I like something but I don't do shit. And the fact that I don't want to share them with other people.

I've built my whole persona around my flaws, I (almost) admire them so they're not that hard to accept. It's who I am. Knowing your own weaknesses gives you 'power', at least you are aware of them. No one can put me down by my weaknesses, they can by criticizing my talents or the things I like.

Though at other times I'll wonder why I can't just function like a normal person. I always thought that this was a phase, that one day I would magically get better. But that's not how it works, so it's easier to just accept it.

Then again, my opinion about this could change any second. It really depends on my mood.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the difference between the two is (often enough) primarily circumstance, timing, and method of application... though it is hard to make that argument with many skill/coordination based traits, i can think of examples of that also... for example, the (in)ability to shoot acurately could be either, depending on the factors i mentioned...

rvabread22

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a gift in music, but I feel it's still limited in many ways. If you are gifted in something and don't achieve a lot with it, you feel you let people down. Everyone has vices, though.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
As someone who has lived through severe mental illness, the faults just kill me. So of course I prefer the talents.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both are hard for me to accept. My faults make me feel incredibly guilty and defective. Meanwhile, any perceived talents I may have just seem like complete lies that someone as useless as me shouldn't have. I can't win any way.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Surprisingly, a talent. I do have moments where like I'm like, "Wahhhh I'm not good at everything", and frankly I feel like I'm either not good or at the very least decent at most things. The thing about talents is though, is that in your moments of failure you don't feel you're living up to your own or even other people's expectations. Plus, I do worry about labels associated with my talents. Like, a lot of people think I'm good academically or a huge artist. In reality, they'd be basing that on my gifted years and my huge drawing phase when I was 12. I mean, I still enjoy drawing of course, it's cool to be appreciated for it, but there's more to me than that. Yes, I was gifted when I was younger, but then in my high school years I struggled a lot academically cause of my mental illness. Sure, I like "intellectual" activities, but I'm not some genius. Also, I kind of worry about being talented at the wrong thing? I don't really have a problem with this now, but if I was really into something and wanted to be good at it but wasn't, and then I was good at something I wasn't actually interested in and everyone thought I was really good at it that would be disappointing. So yeah, I want to have my talents, but with my weaknesses unless it really interferes with my life are something I embrace and laugh at.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's harder for me to accept failures and shortcomings because self-respect is important to me. I appreciate and gladly accept my abilities, but feel guilty about my shortcomings that make it hard for me to interface with the world. I don't blame the abilities I do have for my social limitations, even if they are cognitively related. I'm uncomfortable with success because it is a social phenomenon, but I see that as separate from possessing an ability. Both social criticism and praise for my strengths has limited impact on my sense of self.