• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Realization with verbalization

B

beyondaurora

Do any of you have these "aha!" moments where you say something out loud and all of a sudden you think, "oh my god, that's what I've been feeling!"?

I've noticed that I will carry around feelings about something (could be for days, months, years!), and I can introspect all I want about them, but it takes actually verbalizing them, talking them through out loud, to actually come to any realization of what I've been feeling.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.

B

beyondaurora

I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.

Aimahn, thank you for proving that not all INTP's give short sentence fragments for answers in which they either flatly disagree with or criticize your posts without the least bit of elaboration.

B

beyondaurora

After some reading, I'm convinced these types of occurrences are simply a characteristic of extraversion.

Can any extraverts confirm this?

file cabinet

I recognized how useful verbalization was in reaching realizations for myself. At the same time, I try to also be careful about what I verbalize since, to me, saying it out loud makes it more real then it would inside my head. Meaning, I don't want to create any peculiar self-fulfilling prophecies because I am verbalizing negative thoughts (so, I try to stick to happier ones instead..).

I remember reading about how speaking what you are thinking/feeling helps to relieve 'pressure' in the brain -- like little pins are poking into all parts of your brain and when verbalizing a specific thought or feeling you are able to remove one of those pins. So, on rare occasions when I am frustrated I speak will out loud the feelings I am having, "I am so upset at xyz! It makes me feel abc!" It seems to both acknowledge and retrieve the thoughts swirling about in the head.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If it helps, I read every part of that and totally agreed. I just recently had an Aha moment on things I couldn't put my finger on for a couple weeks straight. A bit hurtful, the moment itself, but now that I know what it is (as in, I have an explanation that covesr all bases in my head) I can start identifying the fixes for it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Do any of you have these "aha!" moments where you say something out loud and all of a sudden you think, "oh my god, that's what I've been feeling!"?

Sometimes when discussing something there is this kind of feeling. Like I just picked the perfect word to describe something that has been more hazy concept in my head. On the other hand, it might also be that someone else says the exact right word and then I realize it is perfect for what I was thinking.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah same here.

I find that I usually take my initial thoughts/feelings too seriously. Once I actually write them out, say them or outline them in some way, it often makes me feel foolish.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP

Yep, that's pretty much what it's like for me. I struggle to verbalise things at the best of times. Writing/typing is easier than speaking but I can never quite seem to capture my thinking. Occasionally I work out something by talking through things with people, but that's the exception.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've had several occasions where I only noticed that what I was thinking about was bullshit when I started writing it out. I've also had times when my writing fueled further development of my ideas. I can usually write stuff on the spot. I'm not as good at speaking, for some reason. I wonder why? The two involve the same process, choosing words. It's not even that I'm given a longer period of time to think when I'm writing.... The words just flow.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Rather than what I am feeling, it is what I am thinking, which becomes more organized/clear with verbalization.

wolfy

awsm

I've noticed that I will carry around feelings about something (could be for days, months, years!), and I can introspect all I want about them, but it takes actually verbalizing them, talking them through out loud, to actually come to any realization of what I've been feeling.

Not really. I understand my feelings by paying attention to my body. Talking about my feelings feels like setting them in stone when they are much more fluid.

B

beyondaurora

Although Jennifer didn't post in this thread, her response from this thread is exactly what I'm talking about!

Often I don't know I'm upset (or happy) until I experience myself doing or saying something... and I'm left wondering, "oh wow, where did THAT come from?"

I'm thinking now that this is related to less expressed Fe/shadow Fi. But I'll admit that I don't understand the cognitive processes very well.

Any thoughts?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Repressed feeling functions can sometimes only be realized after the fact. I think personally from an INTP perspective in your head you can fail to see just how easily and evident your emotions are until you act on them. I think it is a lot more shocking when you say something that is extremely related to your emotional content because it forces you to take a step back and reflect.

In your head it may just be fleeting and you can usually just push it back, twist it into something else, pretend its not there... but when you let it out it can be anywhere from a massive geiser or a little faucet leak. That is sometimes the best way to realize it because it is so unrefined and true to it's essence that theres no way of mistaking the message. I think your theory is pretty accurate actually.

I would even say that is why feelers are probably more in tune with it, and why you sort of constantly do that to understand what you are thinking/feeling (not in the MBTT sense, in real life these things often interrelate).

I think for me though, writing flows so much easier and there isn't a barrier, because I don't necessarily try to intellectualize as much as I would if I was speaking. Some of the journals and unrestricted things I write are SUPER revealing.

Last edited:

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I actually connect my thoughts very well through releasing them from my brain; what I mean by that is, sometimes I am very sure of something, but I have to either verbalize it/ write it out/ debate it before I fully realize all of the different factors that make me feel or think that way.
I will come to a much deeper understanding of my purposes through expressing them. I come up with more reasons towards something; I find all the little bits and pieces that led me to a conclusion and add them to make a solid reason. I think it may be most because of iNtuition in my case; sometimes I piece together information without realizing it.
Through expressing it, especially in debate or civil argument, I can lay out all of my reasons coherently in front of me. It does lead to a lot of "aha!" moments because I'll know something, but not really register that I know it, if that makes any sense at all ^^;

I also think that may go a little bit with F, too; I know it sometimes drives the T's I know up the wall. They would rather be able to see all of the reasons out in front of them in clear terms, and sometimes I can't present that right away...they think I'm making up reasons when I finally uncover a new bit too...
It's rather annoying sometimes, but I'm getting better with working with it :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
+1

I suppose you can say I do think out loud in my head, but it never works well directly with another person until I had time to work out the bits and pieces in my head. The overall picture is there but not the details other people need to make the same mental connections as I'm making.

Telepathy would be just awesome.