• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it a personal offense for someone to question your type?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The number one defense mechanism to protect the biases towards certain types have is this one sentence "You know yourself better than anyone else, so if you think that you are x or y, then you probably are right.", now why is this sentence so effective? Because it actually has some truth to it, but things aren't always so straightforward especially when it comes to cognition and behavior, more often than not it's actually easier for us to fool ourselves and know ourselves even less than other people do, which is why external perception is just as important as introspection when trying to know yourself better and is not a weakness in any way. External perception keeps you grounded in reality and facts about yourself, introspection figures out the how and why behind them.

As long as it's not done as a passive-aggressive act or something similar, we should actually be thankful if people willingly share their perception of us because if we do what we should do which is not dismissing any information because of biases and other factors and instead view things critically until we can tell if they have any validity or not then they have basically helped us know ourselves better, even if just a little.

I think you'll have a difficult time finding those with strong Fi use who would agree with the bolded. Those who spend most of their time in their own heads, analyzing themselves and the world, know their values and their fears intimately.

It's true, after all, if you have indeed explored different possibilities thoroughly then you don't need to act like a crybaby right? All you have to do is calmly explain your thought process, which should be simple, even natural if you had actually thought about it. Otherwise it's just lashing out caused by denial and lack of insight.

Oh, Amberiat. I like you, but you're being insensitive here. Often, as is being pointed out, the questioning of someone's type is being seen as/is a passive aggressive attack. When you are attacked that way, when it involves those issues that cut to your deepest level, your values, your fears, what can and will hurt you, it can be difficult to react in a completely calm manner. I don't think anyone participating in this thread would react like a crybaby if feedback was given in a kind, respectful, insightful, non arrogant manner.

Jaguar

It's true, after all, if you have indeed explored different possibilities thoroughly then you don't need to act like a crybaby right? All you have to do is calmly explain your thought process.

They don't have to explain their thought process to anyone. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Amberiat

Infinity
I think you'll have a difficult time finding those with strong Fi use who would agree with the bolded. Those who spend most of their time in their own heads, analyzing themselves and the world, know their values and their fears intimately.

Oh, Amberiat. I like you, but you're being insensitive here. Often, as is being pointed out, the questioning of someone's type is being seen as/is a passive aggressive attack. When you are attacked that way, when it involves those issues that cut to your deepest level, your values, your fears, what can and will hurt you, it can be difficult to react in a completely calm manner. I don't think anyone participating in this thread would react like a crybaby if feedback was given in a kind, respectful, insightful, non arrogant manner.

The whole idea was that the feedback was genuine, intended to be constructive, not intentionally aggressive behavior. My statement applies to those who react like that to constructive feedback without ill intent, not to people who are being attacked intentionally. That being said, people will inevitably try to twist any feedback they receive to make it seem like it was a personal attack. Therefore, crybabies.

Amberiat

Infinity
They don't have to explain their thought process to anyone. Some people don't seem to understand that.

I agree that nobody is/should be forced to explain their thought process, but if that is the case then silence is the proper action to take. You either answer and explain why or you shut up, am I wrong?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For me personally people can type me as anything and its not something that would bother me as I tend to be curious about how I could be seen as X or Y as maybe there's something about me I'm missing as deep down I am a soul searcher at heart plus it just sparks my curiosity. But I can see why it might bother some as it could be perceived as a passive aggressive attack on ones character using negative stereotypes of X type.

I generally try and not type people without their consent though as it isn't fair for me to impose my will on someone like that as its like hmmm I imposed emo fashion or labelled someone a hipster.

Jaguar

I agree that nobody is/should be forced to explain their thought process, but if that is the case then silence is the proper action to take. You either answer and explain why or you shut up, am I wrong?

You don't decide what is proper action for others. You can only decide what is proper action for you.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1) An MBTI 'type' is only a facet of one's self. Telling people say, "I am ENTJ" does not mean as much as what you actually say or do.
2) People have different perceptions; lots of it are already clouded by various biases, lack of understanding, + them only being over the internet makes it worse.

So, no. Generally speaking I'd be too curious to be offended.
Also, it depends on delivery. Offensive? Maybe. Am I offended? Nah.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I often hear other ENTJ using their type as an insult to other ENTJ when they disagree.

" I would have though that an ENTJ would be more intellectual than that." ect. ect.

Honestly, if I were as stereo-typically ENTJ as those arrogant fuckwitts I'd shoot myself in the face just to not have to listen to me anymore.

My response to this questioning - if it's in an aggressive and argumentative tone, and not out of genuine curiosity- is something like " Think what you like. I don't need to prove anything to you."
I really don't care if someone on the other side of a screen agrees with me or not. Why should I? Why should anyone?

Lib

Permabanned
Honestly, if I were as stereo-typically ENTJ as those arrogant fuckwitts I'd shoot myself in the face just to not have to listen to me anymore.
You stole this from Fight Club. Wouldn't it be more practical just to avoid saying the mentioned things instead of shooting yourself?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Viewing it as a personal offense simply means you are narrow-minded. Why not use the opportunity to view things in a way you may not have seen them before or even refused to do so (as is usually the case with people that have biases towards intuitives and they are confronted with the possibility of being a sensor).
I would say it's not so much narrow minded as insecure or simply thin-skinned.

The number one defense mechanism to protect the biases towards certain types have is this one sentence "You know yourself better than anyone else, so if you think that you are x or y, then you probably are right.", now why is this sentence so effective? Because it actually has some truth to it, but things aren't always so straightforward especially when it comes to cognition and behavior, more often than not it's actually easier for us to fool ourselves and know ourselves even less than other people do, which is why external perception is just as important as introspection when trying to know yourself better and is not a weakness in any way. External perception keeps you grounded in reality and facts about yourself, introspection figures out the how and why behind them.

As long as it's not done as a passive-aggressive act or something similar, we should actually be thankful if people willingly share their perception of us because if we do what we should do which is not dismissing any information because of biases and other factors and instead view things critically until we can tell if they have any validity or not then they have basically helped us know ourselves better, even if just a little.
Feedback from others on how we come across is one thing, and a useful thing. Insisting that someone is or is not a certain type is something else, and far less useful. The utility is in the explanations and the specific insights. If someone is willing to offer those, the type label itself is almost unnecessary and can amount to little more than an unsupported generalization. Part of the truism that the other person knows him/herself best is that they are at least familiar with their own life in its entirety, while we see only the small sliver they share online, in this particular space.

I still think that if you are THAT offended by “not being understood” because someone doesnt see you as the type you see yourself as is a bit... well. Its a bit unreasonable and it DOES make me question why you would NEED others to see you in a certain way. Its a type. Its who you are yes, but so is every action that you do. I dont walk around demaning people see me as creative or nice or intelligent- people are free to have their own perceptions of me and thats ok.
I agree with this. Type is just a tool for self-knowledge.

It's true, after all, if you have indeed explored different possibilities thoroughly then you don't need to act like a crybaby right? All you have to do is calmly explain your thought process, which should be simple, even natural if you had actually thought about it. Otherwise it's just lashing out caused by denial and lack of insight.
Sure. Problem is, some people remain dissatisfied with such an answer and continue to press their case, and nitpick all the details in your explanation. That calls into question their purpose in the discussion.

What's right isn't always what's easy. Being a crybaby never solved anything. If someone really is being attacked in the guise of type feedback, that is best ignored or shut down with a simple statement. It can also be reported if persistent or a violation of forum rules.

For me personally people can type me as anything and its not something that would bother me as I tend to be curious about how I could be seen as X or Y as maybe there's something about me I'm missing as deep down I am a soul searcher at heart plus it just sparks my curiosity. But I can see why it might bother some as it could be perceived as a passive aggressive attack on ones character using negative stereotypes of X type.

I generally try and not type people without their consent though as it isn't fair for me to impose my will on someone like that as its like hmmm I imposed emo fashion or labelled someone a hipster.
Yes. I generally don't offer type related comments unless someone asks for it explicitly, makes a "type-me" thread, posts in a "type the member above" thread, or specifically references it in a thread. In other words, if they say "Because I'm an ABCD, I tend to react this way", my reply might include a comment that they don't seem like an ABCD to me.

You are a good example, and have been a very good sport about people questioning your type. I have done it myself, and always tried to explain why I have the opinion I do. You have taken my observations for what they were, with neither one of us getting wrapped round the axle about the actual letters. That being said, if you asked me not to make further type comments, I would stop immediately, just as a courtesy.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

Do things your way and don't tell me what to do.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
The whole idea was that the feedback was genuine, intended to be constructive, not intentionally aggressive behavior. My statement applies to those who react like that to constructive feedback without ill intent, not to people who are being attacked intentionally. That being said, people will inevitably try to twist any feedback they receive to make it seem like it was a personal attack. Therefore, crybabies.

You don't even know me. You've been on forum only during my least active time here.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I still think that if you are THAT offended by “not being understood” because someone doesnt see you as the type you see yourself as is a bit... well. Its a bit unreasonable and it DOES make me question why you would NEED others to see you in a certain way. Its a type. Its who you are yes, but so is every action that you do. I dont walk around demaning people see me as creative or nice or intelligent- people are free to have their own perceptions of me and thats ok.

If they are wrong they are wrong, I can know that- who cares what other people think if your identity is TRULY about being yourself. If you are something, in my opinion, it will just show. You shouldnt have to tell people “im really creative” if you ARE truly creative. It will just show. You shouldnt have to tell people “im really honest” if you are- again, patterns of behavior will just show this. The “truly something” people... dont usually need to force it upon others- for any reason. Insecurity, validation, understanding- ect. If you want to be understood for who you are- you shouldnt be afraid of just being yourself- and not having to prove that you are somehing/anything more. Wanting to be understood as a certain type, or having a certain quality, is not the same as wanting to be understood as yourself imo.

Then again, Im not an image type. Irl I dont really care all that much about people seeing me a certain way. Maybe this IS something that is more centralized around image types. I dunno.

If you have something you want to say to me, why not just say it privately instead of starting a thread about it. Cuz let's be real, we both know that you started this AT LEAST in part because of me. Also, if you're going to criticize someone for being reactive, it's probably best to check to see if you are also being reactive (albeit passively in your case).

Despite your typing of 7w6 for me, I actually have nothing against you. In fact, I often find that people misunderstand my direct style of communication as beef when in fact there isn't even a cow to be had. It is, however, a bit obnoxious and lacking in perception for 3 people to type me as either 6 or 7 in like 2 months.

How do you people even have fun here for so many fucking years?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You stole this from Fight Club. Wouldn't it be more practical just to avoid saying the mentioned things instead of shooting yourself?

Huh. That’s funny. I have never seen fight club.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would like a dollar for every time I have been incredulous that people could have fun doing some thing, some where. I could put it all to use doing something I actually find fun.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you have something you want to say to me, why not just say it privately instead of starting a thread about it. Cuz let's be real, we both know that you started this AT LEAST in part because of me. Also, if you're going to criticize someone for being reactive, it's probably best to check to see if you are also being reactive (albeit passively in your case).

Despite your typing of 7w6 for me, I actually have nothing against you. In fact, I often find that people misunderstand my direct style of communication as beef when in fact there isn't even a cow to be had. It is, however, a bit obnoxious and lacking in perception for 3 people to type me as either 6 or 7 in like 2 months.

This thread isnt about you. I wasnt thinking of you when I made it. Its just an observation Ive seen in my time here- usually something that happens with a large majority of newer members. And it has been something I have heard complaints from, from both sides of the issue, in the past. Yes. I you are one of the people who I think does this- but no- this wasnt a targeted personal attack against you

I do think though that... the fact you are this defensive about it might be something you want to look at though. Maybe I have no right to say it but... it seems that typology can cause you a good amount of distress... and I think that if you have gotten to the point of that being the case... well... its not healthy in my opinjon.

But do what you want. Maybe Im completely wrong.

In my opinion... if you ask someone what they think your type is and then they type you- its fine if you disagree, its entirely within your rights to do so... but if you are habitually getting upset by the typings of people you asked to type you- it might just be time to step back a little. Or declare your type and say something like you dont want others opinions.

I do not think you are a bad person, a stupid person, anything like that. I have nothing against you as a person- I do have something against people feeling that if they disagree with someone they need to walk on eggshells so they are not offended. I am also against typology being weaponized in order to hurt someone or to undermine them- but thats not what Im talking about here. I am talking about people typing others, giving reasons for that type, acknowledging they might not be right- but whoever is being typed instead seeing it as some sort of personal judgement against them or some sort of hugely offensive thing that someone doesnt see them as they themselves feel they- for whatever reason- need to be seen.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
This thread isnt about you. I wasnt thinking of you when I made it. Its just an observation Ive seen in my time here- usually something that happens with a large majority of newer members. And it has been something I have heard complaints from, from both sides of the issue, in the past. Yes. I you are one of the people who I think does this- but no- this wasnt a targeted personal attack against you

I do think though that... the fact you are this defensive about it might be something you want to look at though. Maybe I have no right to say it but... it seems that typology can cause you a good amount of distress... and I think that if you have gotten to the point of that being the case... well... its not healthy in my opinjon.

But do what you want. Maybe Im completely wrong.

In my opinion... if you ask someone what they think your type is and then they type you- its fine if you disagree, its entirely within your rights to do so... but if you are habitually getting upset by the typings of people you asked to type you- it might just be time to step back a little. Or declare your type and say something like you dont want others opinions.

I do not think you are a bad person, a stupid person, anything like that. I have nothing against you as a person- I do have something against people feeling that if they disagree with someone they need to walk on eggshells so they are not offended. I am also against typology being weaponized in order to hurt someone or to undermine them- but thats not what Im talking about here. I am talking about people typing others, giving reasons for that type, acknowledging they might not be right- but whoever is being typed instead seeing it as some sort of personal judgement against them or some sort of hugely offensive thing that someone doesnt see them as they themselves feel they- for whatever reason- need to be seen.

You just don't understand me, and that's fine.

Advice on this thread includes:
1. Give reasons logically why another's typing if you is wrong.
2. Don't say anything and just move on.

Okay, I see.

This IS a typology site; if you don't wanna talk about it or debate it, why be here?

Also, I do explain my reasons back to people but it's not like anyone actually cares about my explanations. And throw in my communication style, emphasis on certain parts of my posts, and profanity, and regardless of how much it actually bothers me or not, it's take the absolute worst way and people assume I'm having a coronary instead of just being passionate in my expression.

And, some people I just don't like, so they're going to see a different side of me, and 90% of people here will have missed the other interactions between me and said person that led to my low opinion of them.

I'm done talking about this though, I think it's childish and weirdly controlling to tell people how to use the forum.

rav3n

I often hear other ENTJ using their type as an insult to other ENTJ when they disagree.

" I would have though that an ENTJ would be more intellectual than that." ect. ect.

My response to this questioning - if it's in an aggressive and argumentative tone, and not out of genuine curiosity- is something like " Think what you like. I don't need to prove anything to you."
I really don't care if someone on the other side of a screen agrees with me or not. Why should I? Why should anyone?
IME, if things don't bother people, they don't repetitively post about it. But you just can't stop posting about it, lol.