• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it a personal offense for someone to question your type?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Is it a personal offense for someone to question your type?
Obviously not. If anything, it's dumb if they don't. People should think for themselves and not just blindly accept things. It's one thing to understand that you don't know the person as well as they know themselves and thus give some benefit of the doubt, but if someone thinks it's "not nice" to question something it's more or less a red flag to me, if anything. I don't give a fuck about feelings in that context: truth is truth.

However...
Is it a personal offense when someone mistypes you?
That really just depends. If you're strong-willed and refuse to be overcome by anyone or anything, but someone associates you with a type that is envious, self-loathing, and tends to get caught up in a victim mindset while playing the rescuee role, is that insulting? Well...if they're supposed to actually know you then it could potentially be insulting to someone, anyway. Whether it's offensive to you or an insult to the person mistyping is just relative to your perspective mainly.

I no longer personalize other peoples' lack of perceptiveness. I know myself. If they don't see what's there, that's got nothing to do with me. I just won't take their people reading skills or typing knowledge seriously. I don't see why I should be offended just because someone else sucks at something, or misunderstands typology, or misinterprets my words/behaviors, or whatever. Annoying, sure...offensive? Hardly.

Last edited:

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd only be offended if I were attached to being a certain type, which I'm not. To me typology systems are just arbitrary ways of categorizing and interpreting what's there, but it's still using a narrow lens to do this. It feels like playing dress-up where my costume may exaggerate certain features, but I'm not the costume itself. Even outside of typology, people are going to perceive you differently depending on what they're exposed to about you, and they may even be personally more likely to pay attention to or place more value on certain things over others, but I don't expect everyone to understand me fully and intimately (I don't think my own identity is even that rigid where it could be understood in this way), and it also doesn't mean that what they do see isn't really there.

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends on their motives, and whether they're an ass in how they approach it.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are their intentions to understand personality typing or to troll? Sometimes people are social misfits trying to be polite like "That's a nice hair cut did you do it yourself?", to them may seem like a compliment, so face to face interaction hasn't worked out so well in their life and that's why they're here, to figure out how to socialize, and sometimes people don't even know their own intentions, they're just talking.
I'd only be offended if I were attached to being a certain type, which I'm not. To me typology systems are just arbitrary ways of categorizing and interpreting what's there, but it's still using a narrow lens to do this. It feels like playing dress-up where my costume may exaggerate certain features, but I'm not the costume itself. Even outside of typology, people are going to perceive you differently depending on what they're exposed to about you, and they may even be personally more likely to pay attention to or place more value on certain things over others, but I don't expect everyone to understand me fully and intimately (I don't think my own identity is even that rigid where it could be understood in this way), and it also doesn't mean that what they do see isn't really there.

I resonate with this, typing isn't hard and fast, but sometimes it's an easy sell when someone is suggesting I'm some INxx variant which is fine, but I'll take more outlandish suggestions and reflect on them a bit like a costume change in my mind where I don't know the role or character as well as the one I'm used to playing and in that respect it's just uncomfortable for both of us, lolz. Also, considering the roles I play in life I have a suspicion that there wouldn't be a consensus view among the people who know me, anyway.

Enigma wrote:
I don't see why I should be offended just because someone else sucks at something, or misunderstands typology, or misinterprets my words/behaviors, or whatever. Annoying, sure...offensive? Hardly
Hilarious. :LOL:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Are their intentions to understand personality typing or to troll? Sometimes people are social misfits trying to be polite like "That's a nice hair cut did you do it yourself?", to them may seem like a compliment, so face to face interaction hasn't worked out so well in their life and that's why they're here, to figure out how to socialize, and sometimes people don't even know their own intentions, they're just talking.

I resonate with this, typing isn't hard and fast, but sometimes it's an easy sell when someone is suggesting I'm some INxx variant which is fine, but I'll take more outlandish suggestions and reflect on them a bit like a costume change in my mind where I don't know the role or character as well as the one I'm used to playing and in that respect it's just uncomfortable for both of us, lolz. Also, considering the roles I play in life I have a suspicion that there wouldn't be a consensus view among the people who know me, anyway.

Enigma wrote:

Hilarious. :LOL:
How is that a nice haircut did you do it yourself not a compliment? Because you're asking if they have skills or not. Like most people can't cut their own hair, so if someone asked me that I'd be flattered. Then say nope I can't cut a dogs hair

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
How is that a nice haircut did you do it yourself not a compliment? Because you're asking if they have skills or not. Like most people can't cut their own hair, so if someone asked me that I'd be flattered. Then say nope I can't cut a dogs hair
...yep, or an insult, either way....;)

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
It can also be an insult if "nice haircut" is sarcastic and they're essentially implying you doing it yourself = an unprofessional job.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, love the attention this is getting, my point is, still try to be kind and try not to take it personally to the social misfit who's acting out trying to type you, because they probably need help and guidance. That is of course until they go too far and Highlander bans them.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, love the attention this is getting, my point is, still try to be kind and try not to take it personally to the social misfit who's acting out trying to type you, because they probably need help and guidance. That is of course until they go too far and Highlander bans them.
Help and guidance? If they're being an ass and typing you with x or y to insult you between the lines? They don't need help. And the guidance they need is to shut up and mind their own business.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Help and guidance? If they're being an ass and typing you with x or y to insult you between the lines? They don't need help. And the guidance they need is to shut up and mind their own business.
Where did you get "they're being an ass and typing you with x or y to insult you between the lines" from?

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well that's one way to handle things. I did say "unless they go too far and highlander bans them", but even then, I'm not exactly sure how they'd get there. How would someone insult me by calling me a certain type, like how would the exchange go if they're not a social misfit but genuinely trying to be mean, like, calling me my inverse type or something, wouldn't it just come off as uncomfortable, awkward, and funny? Something like, "Hey Paisley, you're an ESFP 2 with a fart wing because your butt smells Paisley! O'doyle Rules!" Again, sort of awkward and funny, no? Maybe it's the person who's just talking and can't stop, and gets carried away and you get the stereotype insult, like, "Paisley you're talking a lot about cars, are you sure you're not an ISTP?" For the most part on teh furoms I think people are just trying to engage as best they can.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where did you get "they're being an ass and typing you with x or y to insult you between the lines" from?
From personal experience.
Well that's one way to handle things. I did say "unless they go too far and highlander bans them", but even then, I'm not exactly sure how they'd get there. How would someone insult me by calling me a certain type, like how would the exchange go if they're not a social misfit but genuinely trying to be mean, like, calling me my inverse type or something, wouldn't it just come off as uncomfortable, awkward, and funny? Something like, "Hey Paisley, you're an ESFP 2 with a fart wing because your butt smells Paisley! O'doyle Rules!" Again, sort of awkward and funny, no? Maybe it's the person who's just talking and can't stop, and gets carried away and you get the stereotype insult, like, "Paisley you're talking a lot about cars, are you sure you're not an ISTP?" For the most part on teh furoms I think people are just trying to engage as best they can.
Stick around or back read. Lucky you if you never run into this or see it. Not everyone has the best intentions.

Paisley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4

Stick around or back read. Lucky you if you never run into this or see it. Not everyone has the best intentions.
I've taken plenty of ad hominem attacks from overly sensitive people arguing my character and not the content of what I'm saying, but not about my type, is all, because I hold my type with an open hand I suppose.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
???
How is that relevant to what Paisley was talking about though?

EDIT:
Although I suppose they might've meant something like that when they said "acting out"...but outside of that, what I gathered was being discussed was just someone who comes off X ways because they lack social skills.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Questioning is always fine as long as it's done respectfully.

If they insult you in any way while questioning your type, then yes, the insult itself would be a personal offense.

Muladara

MBTI Type
FIRE
Enneagram
AIR
No, I don't think it is, even if that's the intention behind is.
If they're respectful about it and you take it as an offence, you might want to consider why that is.
If they're disrespectful about it, they're the one with the problem, projection much?
A person who is right about something is never disrespectful, they give their arguments about why they believe they're right and move on if you have no desire in continuing the discussion.