User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I'm not really a big car fan, but I know the type of cars I find attractive are not modern luxury cars. I'm more impressed with someone who can restore an old junkie car into a timeless, one-of-a-kind vintage masterpiece. My favorite era for cars is probably the early '60s, but I can't name one specific model. Just noticed that I tend to admire the look of many cars from that era, and generally in red or black.

Something like this:

And I think old VW Beetles are nice for a more affordable vintage car:

Likes Lady Lazarus, Officer Ed Powell liked this post

Oh! I forgot to mention custom painted cars, like Janis Joplin's totally awesome psychedelic Porsche. That is more up my alley idealistically and I think would be a better embodiment of my personality overall. It would be amazing to have the chance to work on something like that one day as an artistic venture. Probably wouldn't do a very good job though, but I can dream.

Okay I'm done, hah.
    Likes Population: 1, Galena, LittleCat liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Cars are tools. I expect mine to work reliably, and to be able to do the things I need it to do. Appearance is secondary, except in a "form follows function way". The only truly aesthetic quality I expect is for it not to stand out overmuch or be ostentatious, unless such a vehicle is the only one that meets my practical needs. Fortunately it does not. I do prefer manual transmission, as I have more control over handling, especially on hills.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I've never had one before. But the reason I want one now is simply to be able to get around without trouble in settings without good public transportation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

I mean if car isn’t horrendously ugly like pain peeling off or too affected by the sun. I think any standard Japanese car will do from the recent years.

I guess preferably new though as would I have it

MBTI
    INTP

I put automobiles under the tool category and barely notice their aesthetics, nor do I perceive them as any kind of extension of myself beyond their basic mechanical ability to move me and whatever stuff I need through time and space at high velocity.

That said I appreciate old cars because working on them feels like stepping back in time. I enjoy getting to know old systems of logic.
    Likes Quick, LittleCat liked this post

I appreciate certain aesthetics and the reliability of modern cars. My granduncle owns some 30s and 40's era Cadillacs, 50s muscle car, an 80-something Chevy Camaro that he babies, and goes to multiple cars shows a year. There's definitely a generational quality to the subculture and the people that attend are interesting to talk to - some very mechanically inclined, others just collectors. Since it's not something I was raised with and was never drawn to it as an adult, I'm just an outsider looking in curiously. The 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III is a work of art, as are many wartime cars. Such clean, elegant lines. In reality though, I look for utility, gas mileage, and hatch space in my cars.
    Likes LittleCat liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    TRSH None

To be honest I find most cars made after 1990 to look very similar. Generic sports car look. Generic SUV look. Generic sedan look. ETC. I can't usually tell them apart. I can't look at some tiny detail and know it's a ford or a chevy. Older vehicles were more distinctive and you could usually know them from one another easily. Now, even companies that used to make very unique looking automobiles (i.e. Volvo and VW) seem to be making increasingly generic looking vehicles.

I like some older vintage cars but I can't really afford them and I don't know anything about rebuilding them. Cars are also stressful to me, they're nickle and dimers and if I had a choice I'd rather use public transit or a personal jetpack to get around. I wouldn't mind driving a Challenger except it's a gas guzzler and I can't afford the repair costs for that beast. A Tesla would be ideal, but again, way out of my price range as I can barely afford to keep my 13 year old car running.

As for the joy of taking something apart, I much prefer working on things like bicycles and musical instruments. A bike is a cheap, practical alternative and musical instruments are a hands on gateway to my first love.
    Give me clarity

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Not much. Just something I use to get from point A to B. My car has quite a few miles on it but drives fine so I love it. I do sometimes wish it was a brighter color so it would be easier to see... but at the same time I dont mind its color right now because it sort of blends in and well- the whole ticket thing- flashier cars get more tickets I heard.

But yeah. I dont know anything about cars except that they drive and you arent supposed to crash them
    Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't find anything appealing about cars. They are simply a convenient way to get from place to place. And it would be nice if mine didn't need so many repairs, haha. My ex used to say how he didn't want to take this trip or that trip because he didn't want to put miles on his vehicle, and I always thought that was ridiculous. The whole point of having one is to get you where you want to go. And they depreciate, so they're not really worth a lot of money as an asset...I'd rather put any money I do have toward other things.
    Likes JAVO liked this post