• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you find appealing about cars?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not much. Just something I use to get from point A to B. My car has quite a few miles on it but drives fine so I love it. I do sometimes wish it was a brighter color so it would be easier to see... but at the same time I dont mind its color right now because it sort of blends in and well- the whole ticket thing- flashier cars get more tickets I heard.

But yeah. I dont know anything about cars except that they drive and you arent supposed to crash them
I do tend to prefer my things in more conservative colors that don't stand out. And you are right that red cars especially tend to attract police attention (or is it the drivers who prefer red cars that do it?) In any case, it is with luggage that I have learned the benefit of standing out a little. When every other bag at the airport baggage claim is a small black suitcase on wheels, having something a bit different makes it much easier to spot.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I do tend to prefer my things in more conservative colors that don't stand out. And you are right that red cars especially tend to attract police attention (or is it the drivers who prefer red cars that do it?) In any case, it is with luggage that I have learned the benefit of standing out a little. When every other bag at the airport baggage claim is a small black suitcase on wheels, having something a bit different makes it much easier to spot.

Yeah its mostly because I can never remember where I park so Im always stuck looking around the parking lot for longer than I should- rain snow sleet or hail!

That would be the biggest benefit to having a brighter colored car for me. Its similar to the suitcase thing I think. Its just mostly a visibility thing- BUT... I cant say that having a bright purple car or a bright green one or something wouldnt be incredibly cool too!

Lib

Permabanned
I've always been fascinated with any piece of machinery. I tend to subjectify cars, every one has it's own 'personality' or specifics, weak/strong spots. When I think of a car, I think about the functioning of the overall machine and part by part. I used to like old cars, because it's more fun to change stuff and they are made to last but I started to like the new ones too. To me the engineering idea is like art, but the quality of parts and assembly is also very important.

rav3n

When buying a car in the past, the salesman kept pointing out dumb stuff that had nothing to do with the performance and handling of the car. So I smiled and nodded pleasantly, then took him on a white knuckle test drive while discussing the car's meaningful numbers and critiquing its performance, especially the oversteer from front wheel drive. You could tell that the salesman was a know-nothing bullshitter. Bought the car but ground the sales manager down to near invoice price.

j.c.t.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a particular relationship with cars. But when I was a little boy I hated playing with plastic toy cars, it had to be made of metal to be considered worthy. My ISTP uncle is obsessed with cars and is now homeless living in the parking lot to his job, he spent all his money on cars and managed to get evicted. My grandfather hates any car that isn't German. Perhaps I am inspired by him in wanting a German car when the time comes.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm actually more to the mental escape that cars give me than the actuality of the car itself. I love the freedom they represent -- knowing that with just the turn of the keys you essentially have the ability to go anywhere and become anyone you want to be. I love the sharp body lines, their inviting front fascias, and the feelings they invoke as you envision yourself behind the wheel. I see some cars are like pieces of art moreso than a mode of transportation.

That said, I find myself much more enthralled with the idea of the car that actually using it -- I've done a few exotic car drives where I've driven Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and routinely get to drive other high-end sports cars, and the sensory aspect of it ultimately just doesn't really do anything for me.

When buying a car in the past, the salesman kept pointing out dumb stuff that had nothing to do with the performance and handling of the car. So I smiled and nodded pleasantly, then took him on a white knuckle test drive while discussing the car's meaningful numbers and critiquing its performance, especially the oversteer from front wheel drive. You could tell that the salesman was a know-nothing bullshitter. Bought the car but ground the sales manager down to near invoice price.

So you're Jeff Gordon??

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I do like the escape a car provides, I don't see it as an extension of my personality. The older I get, the more I've come to appreciate some of the luxury touches in my vehicles without giving up power. I also need robust 4WD due to significant snowfall in my area. I stick to darker colors - black, blue, charcoal and SUV's are more practical for me vs a car.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it’s mostly about the aesthetics of the car and its ability to portray my personality to the public (it also has to be in good condition, but fancy upgrades aren’t necessary). To own a restored Model T is a life goal of mine. Other options would be to rig an engine onto one of those old, Victorian bicycles (the ones with one huge wheel and one small wheel) and just barely altering it to be a bit motorcycle like or brightly colored vintage muscle cars.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cars are basically tools to me, though I do get sentimental when it's time to get rid of one. I've stuck with my family's attitude of why replace it if it's not broken? Safety, reliability, good gas mileage are most important, though there are little luxurious I enjoy, like air conditioning or heated seats.

Now. If money is no object, I'd be tempted to get an art object...

This was my favorite car as a kid:

And these cars are sexy (I hate when that word is used in non-sexual related ways, but look at those lines!):

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I'm actually more to the mental escape that cars give me than the actuality of the car itself. I love the freedom they represent -- knowing that with just the turn of the keys you essentially have the ability to go anywhere and become anyone you want to be. I love the sharp body lines, their inviting front fascias, and the feelings they invoke as you envision yourself behind the wheel. I see some cars are like pieces of art moreso than a mode of transportation.

That said, I find myself much more enthralled with the idea of the car that actually using it -- I've done a few exotic car drives where I've driven Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and routinely get to drive other high-end sports cars, and the sensory aspect of it ultimately just doesn't really do anything for me.
Maybe you needed to add some chickens.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i877330.jpg

So gorgeous.

But, really, if I had something like this, I'd probably end up like my father and put it away somewhere to keep it safe. But then, what's the point?

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i877330.jpg

So gorgeous.

But, really, if I had something like this, I'd probably end up like my father and put it away somewhere to keep it safe. But then, what's the point?
So how about a porta potty instead? :D

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I like cars because they look great and stylish especially expensive sports car like Ferraris or Lamborghinis. And I'm kind of an adrenaline junkie so I love that they're fast

And I also love this feeling of freedom when I drive a car that I can go wherever I want to :cool:

rav3n

When it comes to car aesthetics, I'm a fan girl of clean, subtle lines. This is likely why I've lost interest in supercars since most evidence conspicuous consumption with a lot of tacked on shit. The closest I'd get to a supercar would be the next level down with a black Audi R8 coupe (no two tone shit) or the BMW M6 Coupe.

Mole

Permabanned
When it comes to car aesthetics, I'm a fan girl of clean, subtle lines. This is likely why I've lost interest in supercars since most evidence conspicuous consumption with a lot of tacked on shit. The closest I'd get to a supercar would be the next level down with a black Audi R8u coupe (no two tone shit) or the BMW M6 Coupe.

No wonder we are in love with our motor cars as they are our mechanical bride and our mechanical groom. Click on Mechanical Bride PDF in Google.

Mole

Permabanned
I like to think about cars. And I start with The Mechanical.Bride by Marshall McLuhan.

Some say petrol heads are boofheads, but some of us like to think as well.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Cars are tools. I expect mine to work reliably, and to be able to do the things I need it to do. Appearance is secondary, except in a "form follows function way". The only truly aesthetic quality I expect is for it not to stand out overmuch or be ostentatious, unless such a vehicle is the only one that meets my practical needs. Fortunately it does not. I do prefer manual transmission, as I have more control over handling, especially on hills.

I wish I had your pragmatic nature towards tools. I switched from a spacious Japanese sedan to a German sportscar that only fits my handbag. As annoying as the lack of space is, I hate that I always choose style over function.

I've only ever driven cars with automatic transmission so why is having more control on hills a good thing? I'm confused, like all I have to do is press on the accelerator :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wish I had your pragmatic nature towards tools. I switched from a spacious Japanese sedan to a German sportscar that only fits my handbag. As annoying as the lack of space is, I hate that I always choose style over function.

I've only ever driven cars with automatic transmission so why is having more control on hills a good thing? I'm confused, like all I have to do is press on the accelerator :shrug:
Automatic transmission cars can "gear search" on steeper hills, meaning they can't figure out which gear they really need to be in, so you can hear the transmission going from usually 3rd to 4th and back. With manual, you just shift into the one that makes sense. I had a steep hill like this where I lived for awhile so would drive it almost every day. Now I make occasional road trips through hilly parts of the country. Perhaps newer automatics are better about this, but I have driven manual for years now and am used to it.