• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Projection Detectable by the Offender?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That said, real psychological projection comes from the unconscious mind and if so, the logical response would be 'no'.

They are ego defences arent they?

Yeah, if it's projection - then by definition, they don't know they're doing it. It's a defense mechanism.

Perhaps I’m speaking of something else entirely (I haven’t taken any classes in psychology or read any books), but what if someone makes a conscious effort, to “see” the world a certain way as a form of protection, maybe in the hopes of fooling themselves into thinking something is in fact, a certain way. If this is a form of projection (or again, maybe I’m thinking of something else entirely), I suppose, would there be a way to snap out of that self-deceit? Or to snap someone else out of it?

This doesn't sound like projection. Can you give a specific hypothetical example?

Amberiat

Infinity
Projection is unconscious which means that people who are projecting are not aware of it, this is why it's also a very reliable way to determine someones true character.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It may or may not be aware. Some people look at themselves prior to projection, some during, some after, and some never.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like I am usually at least partially aware but then I get paranoid about the situation and become uncertain about my perceptions.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
awareness is impossible during the act unless the term is misapplied... it is quite possible for the "projector" to become aware of what has occured afterwords, though that may not lead to a change of behavior or stance...

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it's noticeable to the offender, but only if one has internalized the idea of trying to be aware of it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I keep reading delectable instead of detectable. so yes projection is ok, wouldn't have it for every meal but is edible.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The word “projection” seems to be used quite often, and certainly, it can be apparent to others when one IS projecting, but I’m curious to know if the person doing the projection is always aware they are doing it? Is it always an active shift of focus or is it at times unbeknownst to the guilty party?

How can one recognize they are projecting if it is perhaps, not always an active, conscious, effort?

Well, I mean, I think the whole nature/concept of projection is one that almost by definition the 'guilty party' isn't going to be aware of doing --- at least in the actual moment it is occurring. Now I think it can be something that can be evident to the guilty party after the fact, upon reflection, etc, but at the same time it would take a pretty decent level of self awareness. That said, I think if someone can and does become really self aware, they have the potential to be aware they are projecting as they are doing it, maybe catching themselves or backtracking / admitting they might be doing so. Though, there is always the possibility that if they're this wrapped up in potentially projecting, that they could be over-analyzing everything to being with. ;)

I also sometimes think though that the person being accused of projecting isn't always doing so; sometimes it's something the accuser might be throwing back, thinking there's projection involved, as way of deflection, or even they genuinely think it's happening. Not sure how often this happens but I do think there can be a tendency to 'overuse' the whole concept.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have seen projectors claim other people are projecting. umu It's quite funny to witness, and I prefer not to talk to people like that.

I have also observed people, and myself knowing I am projecting but doing it anyways because it is easier to cope with the situation at hand.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Projection is unconscious which means that people who are projecting are not aware of it, this is why it's also a very reliable way to determine someones true character.

One good way of determining another person’s character is in the words they use in their speech or writing. If they are making use of defined cognitive fallacies their arguement does not bear much weight or truth. It is more likely that they are projecting their own unresolved issues, fears, prejudices and stereotypes. What is more they are very unlikely to have the insight of this. This is a personal blind spot in their awareness.

It is fundamental in using active listening skills. One should also have a familiarity with concepts such as validation and mirroring the other person’s message back to them through your feedback. This helps one keep abreast of one’s own personal thoughts on the matter and clearly differentiating the other person’s view.

Being mindful of one’s thoughts and using critical reason along with active listening skills one is better equipped to escape the danger of projecting their own internal universe unto another person.

Lark

One good way of determining another person’s character is in the words they use in their speech or writing. If they are making use of defined cognitive fallacies their arguement does not bear much weight or truth. It is more likely that they are projecting their own unresolved issues, fears, prejudices and stereotypes. What is more they are very unlikely to have the insight of this. This is a personal blind spot in their awareness.

It is fundamental in using active listening skills. One should also have a familiarity with concepts such as validation and mirroring the other person’s message back to them through your feedback. This helps one keep abreast of one’s own personal thoughts on the matter and clearly differentiating the other person’s view.

Being mindful of one’s thoughts and using critical reason along with active listening skills one is better equipped to escape the danger of projecting their own internal universe unto another person.

I'm interested in this, can you say more about the role of language?

I'm aware that a lot of philosophical writing has been taken up with language and focusing upon narratives, narrative style etc. etc.

Its also something that's shown up in psychology and sociology, across all of the social sciences in fact, its a big part in the whole idea of modernism/post-modernism but I think has been largely rubbished or at the very least considered to be of less significance by hard science research.

Most interesting of all to me is the idea that certain languages could predispose certain cultural patterns and character types, so within the "anglo-sphere" certain political norms and social norms can be expected which would differ from "Francophone" or "Germanic" or "Slavic" nations all because of the available words, and therefore concepts, influencing cognition. It gets more interesting still, to me, when you consider how extensive some subcultures or subsets of a cultural scene seek to develop and employ their won jargon or terminology, to the point were its almost a parallel language, ie different means for words or different significance attributed to the same words.

I'm not a big fan of structuralism, post-structuralism, semiotics etc. etc. because I think those can all be terrible rabbit holes to get trapped down but I know they've examined the same thing as what I'm talking about. I'm more of a fan of Orwell's ideas in essays like "politics and the english language" or his writing about "newspeak" and "political lying", basically that there's no "net gain" from spin doctoring or propaganda.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hello [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] this is a business week for me. When I get back I’ll do some follow up. Respectfully, LightSun

Lark

Hello [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] this is a business week for me. When I get back I’ll do some follow up. Respectfully, LightSun

NP, good luck and hope the week goes to plan.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The word “projection” seems to be used quite often, and certainly, it can be apparent to others when one IS projecting, but I’m curious to know if the person doing the projection is always aware they are doing it? Is it always an active shift of focus or is it at times unbeknownst to the guilty party?

How can one recognize they are projecting if it is perhaps, not always an active, conscious, effort?

They probably don't. I recognized projection even before I knew of the term, and most are not aware; because they think people work similarly or want similar things. It's also a sign of close-mindedness, projection by definition means;

"Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings."

Basically, "If I were in this person's shoes, I would do A based off my experience / feelings / motivations. This person is doing A. Thus, their motivations must be similar." while discounting the person's actual situation, personality, experience, etc.

For example, someone hiding something out of reasons for privacy might be accused of being manipulative by someone whose method of manipulation involves withholding the truth. "Why aren't you telling me? You don't trust me, do you? You want to hurt me, don't you?" because that is the only explanation they know of.

Someone who is conscious about their flaws and the nature of projection might be a more self-aware, however.
One can recognize that they are projecting by simply being aware that every human being is different; and being aware of when they are filling another person's blanks using their own selves, emotions, and experiences.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think the whole thing with projection is that you cannot know you are doing it because it's an unhealthy mechanism stemming from the subconscious. It involves the parts of you that you haven't realized. You see narcissists project often because they have such a disconnect between their external image and their internal reality. It is entirely possible to recognize projection in oneself in hindsight and is a sign of growth. I don't think that true narcissists can recognize it at all, ever.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In retrospect sure, during... no.

However, someone can use the tactic of their faults onto the other, if it’s just simply to manipulate someone. But that’s no longer projection I believe.

Mole

Permabanned
When we meet a stranger, we don't know them, and in order to speak with them, we form an image of them that is based on projection.

So projection is necessary in talking with strangers.

And as we get to know them, we test our projections against what we have leant about the person.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"Do you wish to know an inkling of the core "you?" Then answer the question, filling in a blank space. "People are..." Say the first thing that comes into your mind. Based on your answer it defines yourself, for you will project a piece of your self. People reveal their inner self all the time. We project reality and the speech we use reflects our inner self. We happen to project realities on to the big screen called life so by answering the question you end up defining yourself. Do it first on yourself and then try it on loved one. A person gets the glimmer of another person's soul. Our words are a mirror to our souls.

Our words are a direct reflection of the heart. If laced with a negative adjective it is a reflection of unfinished and unresolved issues of an unhealed heart. This may not be agreeable to all people, but if I say toward another person, "You’re such an idiot." It really is disgraceful reflection of myself. If I say to you, "I admire your intelligence." It is the intelligence within me recognizing a kindred soul in a mirror. It is with this insight and knowledge that I really try to stay cognizant of what I say, write and communicate. Corroboration and data are the more reliable truths.

The error in truth relies on human subjectivity and projections of a human beings 'inner' reality called one's phenomenological universe. It is based on thoughts, feelings and beliefs that unless corroborated by scientific and objective facts are many times merely one's own personal perceptions made up mostly by sheer opinion.

(1) We are a product of what we learn. If what we learned is erroneous, we start out of the wrong gate. A person's unhealed self may react in an outward fashion by communicating and making use of clearly defined cognitive fallacies then their argument does not bear much weight or truth. The person casting disparaging remarks are laced with the person's own prejudices, stereotypes and fears. This showcases the person's lack of personal insight and self awareness on their part.

(2) When we use human subjectivity laced with emotional reasoning, denial, blind spots and rationalizations to name a few, we are in fact projecting our own biased reality unto another.

(3) Additionally we are mot taking ownership of our personal feelings. We are not in an internal locus of control mode rather we are blaming others and life for how we feel. This in effect is a blind spot that we are not even aware of. Our preconceived theories can lead us astray and make us look in the wrong direction.

(4) When in dialogue with another individual it is fundamental in using active listening skills. One should also have a familiarity with concepts such as validation and mirroring the other person’s message back to them through your feedback. This helps one keep abreast of one’s own personal thoughts on the matter and clearly differentiating the other person’s view. Being mindful of one’s thoughts and using critical reason along with active listening skills one is better equipped to escape the danger of projecting their own internal universe unto another person.

I call the projection feature of the human species a remarkable as well profound insight. No one can truly know what another person thinks, feels or is their true intention from the most mundane to the most intimate of relationships. It requires open transparent dialogue between two people to fully connect with another human being. Unless there is this transparency, open mindedness, respect shown and tolerance one is apt to project one's own personality and beliefs."

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I think projection is real, but at the same time, I shy away from talking about it, because anyone can use that to describe any negative comment someone makes about somebody else, and as you stated, even if the person is projecting, they won't realize it anyway.