• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Projection Detectable by the Offender?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most interesting of all to me is the idea that certain languages could predispose certain cultural patterns and character types, so within the "anglo-sphere" certain political norms and social norms can be expected which would differ from "Francophone" or "Germanic" or "Slavic" nations all because of the available words, and therefore concepts, influencing cognition. It gets more interesting still, to me, when you consider how extensive some subcultures or subsets of a cultural scene seek to develop and employ their won jargon or terminology, to the point were its almost a parallel language, ie different means for words or different significance attributed to the same words.

I think the most interesting thing (or at least the most obvious thing to me) is gender. The use of gender for nouns of all kinds of inanimate object is probably the most difficult thing to wrap my head around in terms of a lot of European languages like Spanish. Apparently, English used to do this too once upon a time, but at some point it get dropped. I wonder if this influences aspects of the society (of course I don't know enough about those societies to really be comfortable saying that).

Which brings me to the idea of gender neutral pronouns; the notion has become somewhat more mainstream in that people are aware of them, even if they are derided. Regardless of what you may think on the matter, it's theoretically interesting to me. I wonder what influence that would have on society if it became standard. If you think about it, there isn't really that strong of a reason for using gendered pronouns. It only helps you differentiate who you are talking about if there are people of different genders present. It doesn't have much of a utility, so what would happen if they were no longer used in English at all?

rav3n

I think projection is real, but at the same time, I shy away from talking about it, because anyone can use that to describe any negative comment someone makes about somebody else, and as you stated, even if the person is projecting, they won't realize it anyway.
But why not point it out so they have a chance to consider the possibility, even if it's only afterwards when they've had a chance to settle down their hurt ego?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe so. Oftentimes, I think there's strong pull towards denial even though we register it on some level. It's mainly a protective mechanism for the ego not to fully admit to it.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The word “projection” seems to be used quite often, and certainly, it can be apparent to others when one IS projecting, but I’m curious to know if the person doing the projection is always aware they are doing it? Is it always an active shift of focus or is it at times unbeknownst to the guilty party?

How can one recognize they are projecting if it is perhaps, not always an active, conscious, effort?

Always assume you might be projecting?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know. I won't claim to have a better understanding of the (my) unconscious mind than the next person. I can say that often when I find fault with someone else, whether I articulate that or not, I often find myself thinking, "but I sometimes do that, too". In other words, I readily see the failings of others in myself, and after formulating the critical thought about them, I turn my attention back to myself to examine it more closely there.

Coriolis wrote, (1) "... fault ....someone else...myself thinking, "but I sometimes do that, too".

I don't find this to be the case in myself. I am what I call a person with an open mind. I realize others are imperfect and there may be extenuating circumstances. I don't hold unto a grudge. I problem solve or move on.

(2) "...readily see the failings of others in myself..."

I in an alternate way see the good in others and their finer points which I possess. It's like a mirror effect. One can see in another what is in oneself. This is provided the person has insight. Others cast blame unto the world. Sometimes they are projecting an aspect of them self they don't like within themselves. Ironically due to lacking insight or deep awareness, they are not aware of this feature.

(3) "...turn my attention back to myself...examine it ...closely there."

As I said I am not like you on point number one. I am reflective and introspective in my nature though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I said I am not like you on point number one. I am reflective and introspective in my nature though.
You don't sometimes find in yourself the same failings that you see in others?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You don't sometimes find in yourself the same failings that you see in others?

Coriolis wrote, (1) "You don't sometimes find in yourself the same failings that you see in others?'

I am cognizant of other people's different defense mechanism's and fault. I honestly don't over dwell on the fact. I don't deny but I take a rather pragmatic approach and fix problems I might have. For other person's they are not in my field of control. Coriolis I am not programmed that way. .

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coriolis wrote, (1) "You don't sometimes find in yourself the same failings that you see in others?'

I am cognizant of other people's different defense mechanism's and fault. I honestly don't over dwell on the fact. I don't deny but I take a rather pragmatic approach and fix problems I might have. For other person's they are not in my field of control. Coriolis I am not programmed that way. .
But that is my point. Rather than criticise others, we look to whether we are doing the same thing, whatever it is, and correct it in ourselves. So if I am annoyed because someone comes late to meetings all the time, I might examine my own behavior to see if I am being punctual myself, and if not, I can work to be more mindful of the time so I don't keep others waiting, like the person who annoys me by being tardy.

The Cat

Staff member
But that is my point. Rather than criticise others, we look to whether we are doing the same thing, whatever it is, and correct it in ourselves. So if I am annoyed because someone comes late to meetings all the time, I might examine my own behavior to see if I am being punctual myself, and if not, I can work to be more mindful of the time so I don't keep others waiting, like the person who annoys me by being tardy.

On time is 15 minutes late...

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the most interesting thing (or at least the most obvious thing to me) is gender. The use of gender for nouns of all kinds of inanimate object is probably the most difficult thing to wrap my head around in terms of a lot of European languages like Spanish. Apparently, English used to do this too once upon a time, but at some point it get dropped. I wonder if this influences aspects of the society (of course I don't know enough about those societies to really be comfortable saying that).

Which brings me to the idea of gender neutral pronouns; the notion has become somewhat more mainstream in that people are aware of them, even if they are derided. Regardless of what you may think on the matter, it's theoretically interesting to me. I wonder what influence that would have on society if it became standard. If you think about it, there isn't really that strong of a reason for using gendered pronouns. It only helps you differentiate who you are talking about if there are people of different genders present. It doesn't have much of a utility, so what would happen if they were no longer used in English at all?
It's had to predict how that influence would go, though. One might think that in a language where masculine and feminine gender is assigned to things as well as living beings there might be more sensitivity to gender, but it could actually go the other way. In English, we reserve masc/fem gender for living things for the most part - people and animals. This highlights the tie to biology. When inanimate objects can also be masc/fem, and those connections are not always intuitive (e.g. a skirt is grammatically masculine), it turns gender into more of a grammatical construct rather than something related to the innate qualities of the object (or person). It is almost devalued, then, in saying anything meaningful about a person.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Always assume you might be projecting?

Recognize when you are filling in someone else's blanks not from their actions or words, but your own subjective / personal experiences, feelings, opinions, etc.
Notice when you're using 'I know what you are thinking / feeling' statements.

The Cat

Staff member
Recognize when you are filling in someone else's blanks not from their actions or words, but your own subjective / personal experiences, feelings, opinions, etc.
Notice when you're using 'I know what you are thinking / feeling' statements.

I know what you felt last summer.... Ixaerus & Jack's guide to projection

Lib

Permabanned
It's had to predict how that influence would go, though. One might think that in a language where masculine and feminine gender is assigned to things as well as living beings there might be more sensitivity to gender, but it could actually go the other way. In English, we reserve masc/fem gender for living things for the most part - people and animals. This highlights the tie to biology. When inanimate objects can also be masc/fem, and those connections are not always intuitive (e.g. a skirt is grammatically masculine), it turns gender into more of a grammatical construct rather than something related to the innate qualities of the object (or person). It is almost devalued, then, in saying anything meaningful about a person.
I don't speak Spanish in particular, but I do speak a bit Russian. In Slavic culture and languages, in which both verb endings and objects are gender-specific, there is a distinction between masculine and feminine notions or even 'energy'. The earth, the moon, water, food, a hole, for example, are all feminine, while a hammer, a pole are masculine. It's not as strict but still quite pronounced. I assume 'gender' must be a great part of human perception if one is constantly reminded of it subconsciously.