• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and Affective Dreams

B

beyondaurora

I'm curious as to whether there is a correlation between type and affective dreaming.

I for one frequently have very bizarre or disturbing dreams that cause me to wake up crying and/or affect my mood for the rest of the day. And to clarify, depending on the dream, my mood is not always negative. I could be left feeling spacey, from another dimension, or deeply in love.

This morning, my partner (ExFP) woke up crying and upset by a dream he had. As is usually the case with me, he just couldn't shake it, and he has these types of dreams at least a few times per month. In comparison, my ex-husband (INTJ) hardly ever dreamed, and if he did, his dreams were about computer games.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts and experiences!

B

beyondaurora

Any other thoughts? At the very least, are there others that have these experiences with dreams seriously affecting their mood?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oh yes, quite. Perhaps you asked a suboptimal question in the OP.

I have had dreams carry me for two days. The bad ones, I quarantine and forget.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's very unusual for me, but lately I have dreams every so often where I wake up crying. I don't feel bad when I wake up though and I forget all about it. Always about the same thing, a close immediate family member. They were hurt really bad (like almost died) in an accident several months ago and still haven't quite recovered. I guess I process this when I sleep.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Sometimes I wake up covered in sweat after a particularly bad dream. But usually mood affects dreams, not the other way around. It gets to the point of not wanting to sleep or get myself tired enough to get into a dead-sleep, but typically ten minutes after the dream, I'd already forgotten about it, or can't even remember why it was so terrifying...

Don't think I've ever woken up crying, though.

Atomic Fiend

I've had particulatly horrible dreams, and I can remember waking up crying when I was like thirteen. I'd rather not recount what happened in it, but it really sucked.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've had really vivid, terrible dreams that made me wake up sweating, screaming, and/or crying. But once I wake from these dreams, they cease to affect my mood.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I find that I don't get nightmares anymore... when my dreams take a turn for the worse, I will either become lucid or will just not take the negative things happening in dream seriously for some reason. I will probably have at least one semi-lucid dream every couple of days.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have often woken up experiencing strong emotions from my dreams, for example, crying streams of tears or laughing out loud. Sometimes the feelings rapidly fade, but at other times they can persist for much longer, especially the pleasant ones.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm curious as to whether there is a correlation between type and affective dreaming.

I for one frequently have very bizarre or disturbing dreams that cause me to wake up crying and/or affect my mood for the rest of the day. And to clarify, depending on the dream, my mood is not always negative. I could be left feeling spacey, from another dimension, or deeply in love.

This morning, my partner (ExFP) woke up crying and upset by a dream he had. As is usually the case with me, he just couldn't shake it, and he has these types of dreams at least a few times per month. In comparison, my ex-husband (INTJ) hardly ever dreamed, and if he did, his dreams were about computer games.

I think it's possible, but of course nothing in Type is ever 100%.

I have an ISFJ friend and an ISFP friend who feel their feelings with their physical bodies. This is very foreign to me, but quite normal for them. It's hard for me to watch when my friends have a bad dream and then go through the rest of the day feeling "icky". I noticed that both of them were ISFx types, and I wonder if perhaps ISFx types might be more prone to this than other types.

batumi

MBTI Type
infj

I do as well.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have never woken up crying from a dream.

I sometimes have nightmares that leave me irrationally terrified and breathing heavily. Once, a dream that ended with me screaming left me making a soft "ah" noise in the real world when I woke up. Sometimes my dreams affect me enough that my mood for the next three hours. I've never had anything more than that.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Everyone that's ever shared a bed or room with me, tells me that I carry on terribly in my sleep. Not in a nice way, though, it's kicking and fighting and what not. I don't ever remember it. It doesn't surprise me too much though.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Well, I do have dreams, and they do affect me to some extent, but I've never cried/ laughed/ screamed from any of them.

I have, however, used that heightened sense of whatever feeling I had for the first hour afterwards, maybe, looking for some kind of implication that it could have been a premonition or what not. So, generally, I'm sensitive to what happened in the hopes of detecting some kind of supernatural discovery, haha.

So, no, to the original question, since the actual feeling fades away so quickly.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Me neither, but a few of them scared me so much I'd still be in the state for days or weeks later. Usually I dream because I feel extremely good or stressed, unfortunately it's mostly stress. Then I can't shake them off either, and often there's a realistic touch to them.
Their kind of like therapy to me, when I look at them a certain way, it's exactly what I'm feeling. I usually have 7 nightmares out of 10 "dreams", most of it is just bad repressed stress. It has to come out one way or another doesn't it:tongue:?