• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

SirCanSir

MBTI Type
hmm
Enneagram
hmm
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Considered it once. Pretty dramatic.

Lark

Prpz its a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I know that line of reasoning wont count for much when you're experience subjectively gives rise to that thinking, its objectively the case none the less.

Get the safety planning done if its threatening to become overwhelming. Hope this passes soon.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Unfortunately I get them quite a bit. Even when my life is going just fine, if some nuisance in my day stirs up feelings of self-hatred. I have the thought of just wanting to be put to sleep. Or have fantasies about climbing a capitol building, or sneaking a pill in inappropriate settings. I hate to admit it, because I feel like I don't have any valid reasons to be like that(and also vulnerabilities). But I think they're just crutch thoughts, I have read that people who have suffered from depression for awhile they get those thoughts over the smallest things because their brains are so used to resorting to them. I have to ground myself when I have them, like reminding myself that I'd be dying here, and when you die people will be touching all your stuff and be figuring out what to do with it and they'd miss you and wonder what they did wrong to make me like that. Why do I romanticize it like that? Ew. I think really in that moment I'm seeking to numb myself more than anything.

I did make a half-assed attempt to off myself in middle school, where my home life was getting rough and my classmates made a mockery of me and my best friend of 4 year decided to stop being my friend all of a sudden. My ideations have had way more thorough planning than that one afternoon. But yeah, nothing since then has been serious.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think often that the world would be better of if I was dead. Ive made plans a few times, been seriously suicidal way too often, and still get occasional thoughts. I would say that though I get them probably a few times a week- they dont tend to be serious until they start adding up. And a few times a week of “maybe the world would just be better off” isnt serious enough to make me “suicidal”.

I am probably “suicidal”... IDK... once a year or so. Which is way too much, but Im going to try to work on making myself as stable as possible and preventing, or at least lessening, the impact of my next depressive episode

This has gotten better. Very very occasionally Ill have a fleeting thought now of- jump in front of that bus- but its more like... I wonder what would happen if I jumped in front of that bus- or in response to mild annoyance like a joke “like- fuck me I should just jump in front of that bus lol”.

Idk. Maybe that all sounds shitty- but like... I havent really felt “suicidal” for real in a while. Probably since about the time I wrote this post.

Lark

Stay: A History of Suicide and the Philosophies Against It: A History of Suicide and the Arguments Against It: Amazon.co.uk: Hecht, Jennifer Michae: 0884166138087: Books

I'd like to recommend this book, I've been listening to it on audiobook in the car, its an affordable MP3 DVD disk.

Its interesting since she's a secular atheist and can not rely on traditional arguments against suicide and makes arguments instead which I think will work for people who can not find consolation or instruction from those sources. She makes what I think is a good argument that if you commit suicide you commit murder upon your future self. If you draw the curtain down permanently upon your self then all the things you could have done definitely will not happen. In addition to this being a violation of the future self, it also deprives the community and social connections too.

I dont know if those reasons could prove as compelling as religion could to the believer. I also know, or at least I think, that core beliefs, whether they are religious or irreligious, will not always prove compelling "in the moment" when suicide is assailing someones thinking and feeling self. That's why I mentioned safety planning earlier. Although that said, I think it can be helpful to be able to stack the deck against suicide too.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Stay: A History of Suicide and the Philosophies Against It: A History of Suicide and the Arguments Against It: Amazon.co.uk: Hecht, Jennifer Michae: 0884166138087: Books

I'd like to recommend this book, I've been listening to it on audiobook in the car, its an affordable MP3 DVD disk.

Its interesting since she's a secular atheist and can not rely on traditional arguments against suicide and makes arguments instead which I think will work for people who can not find consolation or instruction from those sources. She makes what I think is a good argument that if you commit suicide you commit murder upon your future self. If you draw the curtain down permanently upon your self then all the things you could have done definitely will not happen. In addition to this being a violation of the future self, it also deprives the community and social connections too.

I dont know if those reasons could prove as compelling as religion could to the believer. I also know, or at least I think, that core beliefs, whether they are religious or irreligious, will not always prove compelling "in the moment" when suicide is assailing someones thinking and feeling self. That's why I mentioned safety planning earlier. Although that said, I think it can be helpful to be able to stack the deck against suicide too.

I kinda lean against euthanasia just because of mental health concerns. I'm not convinced it would be a good thing if everyone who wanted to end their life would be allowed to do it.

Lark

I kinda lean against euthanasia just because of mental health concerns. I'm not convinced it would be a good thing if everyone who wanted to end their life would be allowed to do it.

I agree too, its always bothered me that at least in the (recent) past Doctor Kavorkian (spelling) was a horrifying figure, his suicide kits the stuff of mad science and serial killer mindsets but now would not be out of place in the era of campaigning for Swiss style suicide clinics.

Like living giving medicine is unaffordable and out of reach but death dealing clinics arent, neither is abortion, sterilization, the death penalty or anything else which seems to address the hypothetical (over) population crisis.

The good thing about Stay, besides it being a secular source because non-secular sources get easily dismissed out of hand right away by most people, is that it asks questions about how and why the hell did all of that become part of the supposedly "progressive" agenda? Its just another trend that I dont think would have been out of place if the frigging nazis had actually won the war.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree too, its always bothered me that at least in the (recent) past Doctor Kavorkian (spelling) was a horrifying figure, his suicide kits the stuff of mad science and serial killer mindsets but now would not be out of place in the era of campaigning for Swiss style suicide clinics.

Like living giving medicine is unaffordable and out of reach but death dealing clinics arent, neither is abortion, sterilization, the death penalty or anything else which seems to address the hypothetical (over) population crisis.

The good thing about Stay, besides it being a secular source because non-secular sources get easily dismissed out of hand right away by most people, is that it asks questions about how and why the hell did all of that become part of the supposedly "progressive" agenda? Its just another trend that I dont think would have been out of place if the frigging nazis had actually won the war.
Abortion and birth control are out of the reach of many people, especially in less developed parts of the world. The cost can be prohibitive, but availability is an issue as well due to a combination of legal restrictions and scarcity of service.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never desire to kill anyone, and that includes myself. That might change if I end up with some kind of horrific disease or disfigurement.

Lark

Abortion and birth control are out of the reach of many people, especially in less developed parts of the world. The cost can be prohibitive, but availability is an issue as well due to a combination of legal restrictions and scarcity of service.

I dont really consider birth control in the same category as the things I mentioned, it could be a kind of blind spot but my point is not really about family planning, medicine or anything like that, its about anti-natalism and a kind of culture of death.

Abortion is something that I would like to be left to women, if I'm entirely honest, because of the whole individual sovereignty thing but I would like to see it legal, available but very unpopular and under utilized.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I was just about to say this. In many states in the U.S it's actually very difficult to get an abortion.

yubih

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to have them almost every day during my depressive phases. I almost completely stopped having them after I started taking my new meds, still have them every now and then, but much more rarely and they're not nearly as strong and oppressing as they used to be

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I do not have suicidal thoughts. I have experienced suicidal thoughts in the most severe form about 18 years ago so I know what I'm talking about.

I made a fucking chart where I rate my willingness to do suicide. I decided that If my score on that chart goes over a threshold, I will make a suicide. Also, I decided, if I do not make that threshold, I will never attempt suicide again.

I have abided by the ideas set at that time. So, zero suicidal thoughts.