• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

Lark

This is so weird, a story circulated on facebook about this, in a way, well, about suicide per se and it coincided with some thinking I was doing about suicides in the main areas feeding protest and riots at the moment in NI and I contacted a mod to see if discussing this sort of thing was kosher and here's a thread already.

Synchronicity or coincidence its cool how these things occur.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The past few years have been absolute hell for me. I have thought about killing myself many times, but have never actually attempted it. Last week was one of the hardest weeks that I have ever had, and I struggled with these thoughts. Now I'm a lot better though. I got through the tough times with a bottle of Jack Daniels. It's better to get trashed everyday IMO rather than kill yourself. After all, you can come back from getting trashed, but you can't come back from committing suicide.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm usually shocked when I see that some people claim to have never experienced it. Thinking about suicide has been a regular part of my life for years now...

Usually it's just ideation. Not a day passes by without me thinking that it would be better for me and everyone around me if I could just die.

Momentary consideration usually occurs once or twice a month, typically while I'm driving.

Actually making plans to kill myself has only really happened twice in my life, a few years apart. Each time was triggered by something specific. Since it happened in early 2020, I hope it doesn't happen again soon.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe once a month I will get stressed out and verbalize something like, "Please can there just be a drive-by shooting and I get shot in the head?" I'm very comfortable with the idea of suicide and suicidal feelings, but I wouldn't actually kill myself.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm currently seeking group therapy because my therapist said that's the closest step down from out patient services. The thoughts are becoming debilitating enough for me not to go to work regularly but not enough for me to act on and it's been really difficult.

I don't have a passion for life and desperately want it to all fall apart already so when I do off myself it won't come across as a surprise or wasted potential.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I heard there was a new rule that you shouldn't bump negative threads. Why are people encouraging this?

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I heard there was a new rule that you shouldn't bump negative threads. Why are people encouraging this?

I think it's healthy to talk about perfectly valid human emotions instead of repressing them. It might even make people feel less alone.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it's healthy to talk about perfectly valid human emotions instead of repressing them. It might even make people feel less alone.

I deem this thread negative, and therefore it shouldn't have been revived.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many forums advise members to search for an existing thread on a topic before making a new one. On the flip side, members sometimes complain about thread necromancy. Bottom line is there is no rule against reviving threads of any kind. If a thread is too negative, it can be reported and reviewed.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess the politics section is safe.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I can't average the answer out. It's an on or off thing, but there is no consistency to it. I can be fine for a long stretch of time, or I can suddenly drop into suicidal desire if something triggers a flashback response (rare but intense when it happens), or I can generally just want to be dead for weeks or months, or there have been times when I knew exactly how I would do it and had a mental inventory of supplies on hand and a plan for action.

It's either there or it's not, but there isn't a consistent pattern of frequency or intensity, which is almost unfortunate in a way (it's always unfortunate, but perhaps I could combat it more successfully if it were more predictable).

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Still what Falcarius said like 13 years ago; like never, with the exception of a year where he was really really depressed about 6 years ago where he felt constantly suicidal.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yawn, I did have suicidal thoughts 15 years ago. They were fucking serious. What do I care of it now?

I don't have suicidal thoughts now. Or have I had for quite some time.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think often that the world would be better of if I was dead. Ive made plans a few times, been seriously suicidal way too often, and still get occasional thoughts. I would say that though I get them probably a few times a week- they dont tend to be serious until they start adding up. And a few times a week of “maybe the world would just be better off” isnt serious enough to make me “suicidal”.

I am probably “suicidal”... IDK... once a year or so. Which is way too much, but Im going to try to work on making myself as stable as possible and preventing, or at least lessening, the impact of my next depressive episode

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Weekly, though ideation isn't exactly the same as actual attempts. My suicidal tendencies are more of a reflex than an actual action.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can often feel like I don't want to live into the future, but I have a strong moral position against suicide for myself (I don't judge others for many reasons). I know it would devastate my sister and family and I have cats to take care of. If I reach a point where I really make a choice against living, I will likely put my affairs in order and join a high risk group that saves animals. Like I will go and fight the dog meat markets overseas and do stuff that could help something innocent, but could also get me killed. I'm not at that point, but am struggling with clinical depression. I've made a decision to be pragmatic about my existence and my death. If I have agency to lessen pain in some capacity, then that is my charge first.

Bacopa

MBTI Type
intj
the pandemic started causing them, maybe like twice a week, can't judge if I'm serious about it, but they do appear in my head

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot back in my 20's and 30's, because of being trans and other life trauma. I have a naturally depressive personality and a bent towards considering a lot of things.

In my 40's and onwards, since I ended up resolving a lot of stuff (in part because of the intensity of the self-destructive thoughts), only rarely and not that seriously -- not at all like before.