• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self image of physical appearance

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly. Curious as to what may be considered normal by hearing how others feel.

Word, dawgs.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I really don't think I look like the person I see in the mirror. It doesn't look like me at all.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Cosmetic beauty is impermanent - problematically so, in terms of psychologically investing one's sense of self into how one looks.

Although it's often said, I echo the sentiment that physical attractiveness is of meager importance when weighed against qualities like personality/intelligence.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, it changes, but the reason for that is because I change my appearance often. When I am in no good mood, I totally neglect my "looks" and turn into a hairy monster. Then I might spontaneously get rid of all my hair if I feel like it.

But usually I feel good about my attractiveness...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Colmena, I'm not sure what you're saying.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Cosmetic beauty is impermanent - problematically so, in terms of psychologically investing one's sense of self into how one looks.

Although it's often said, I echo the sentiment that physical attractiveness is of meager importance when weighed against qualities like personality/intelligence.
Fully agree but I feel like insecurity in regards to physical looks is either something you struggle with or it's not. I don't think it's a priority error, its just something that is...
That's my opinion anyways.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
That's my opinion anyways.

It's a very valid opinion.

To your question, I struggle with more of a social image than physical.

Deciding whether folks I'm teaching are appropriately digesting my curriculum, and if their inability has to do with the inefficacy of my lesson plan/presentation model.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Not really sure what triggers the flip either. :(

(And it doesn't matter what my head tells me, the emotions do what they want.)

I've worked through other issues involving my own estimations of my intelligence, creativity, perception, sensitivity, and friendliness -- sometimes I'd feel I was much all those things, other days I'd just feel like I sucked and didn't want to engage life at all.

To your question, I struggle with more of a social image than physical. Deciding whether folks I'm teaching are appropriately digesting my curriculum, and if their inability has to do with the inefficacy of my lesson plan/presentation model.

Is that really social?
It sounds more pragmatic, with performance of self-prioritized qualities tying into your self-worth:
"Is my strategy as effective as I think it should be? And what's this say about my skill as a teacher? And what if I'm not as skilled as I had thought?"

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
it changes a little. if i had to rate myself i would rate myself a 3.5-4/10 lol

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Is that really social?
It sounds more pragmatic, with performance of self-prioritized qualities tying into your self-worth:
"Is my strategy as effective as I think it should be? And what's this say about my skill as a teacher? And what if I'm not as skilled as I had thought?"

Sure -

Approximating general level of student interest on the basis of how well I hold their attention, alongside a platform for social critique that involves testing, student evaluation, etc.

For my dime, my ideas are top-notch. It's when I institute them into the front lines of my rubric that I realize the weaknesses of my strategy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll make mental note of my basic appearance when getting ready for work (I sell things, so I have to look cute for work :dry:). I don't usually connect mentally with my appearance though- it simply doesn't occur to me :doh:

My self image of my physical appearance is rather consistant- I've looked pretty much the same for the last 10 years :D This allows me to go on auto-pilot as far as assessing my overall physical appearance goes.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I pay as little attention to it as possible. I've been in great shape, all tidied up, snazzy, you know? And no one noticed.

Then it'll be 2 AM, I haven't left the apartment in three days, and I force myself to go get a sandwich. I'm dirty, my hair is totally silly, I've thrown on some retarded clothing combination only to cover myself, and I have an anti-social look in my eye due to suddenly being around people...And some cute girl will stare at me like she's been wandering through the desert for 48 hours and I'm Gatorade. Fuck it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Or maybe she's looking for the piss stains that are causing the stench when you walk in the room. Just a theory, mang.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think it mostly depends on how clean and well-rested I feel.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I pay as little attention to it as possible. I've been in great shape, all tidied up, snazzy, you know? And no one noticed.

Then it'll be 2 AM, I haven't left the apartment in three days, and I force myself to go get a sandwich. I'm dirty, my hair is totally silly, I've thrown on some retarded clothing combination only to cover myself, and I have an anti-social look in my eye due to suddenly being around people...And some cute girl will stare at me like she's been wandering through the desert for 48 hours and I'm Gatorade. Fuck it.

Maybe it's a Kansas thing? I have to say I've found the opposite but I can't pretend to understand what triggers that sort of stuff.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe it's a Kansas thing? I have to say I've found the opposite but I can't pretend to understand what triggers that sort of stuff.

I think so. I've come to the conclusion that Kansans are filthy nasty people with terrible hygiene habits. I guess it's part of the mating ritual.

heart

heart on fire
I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly. Curious as to what may be considered normal by hearing how others feel.

Word, dawgs.

Lots of times I feel very unattractive. Other times I look in the mirror and say "hey that's me, I like the way I look no matter what others judge it to be and I'm not the best or the worst."

heart

heart on fire

In my 20s I used to get the most attention when I had a really bad cold, the awful drive home from work when all day has been sheer hell and I'm pale, breathing through my mouth, can't keep my eyes open and at the traffic light there's some dude gawking at me. It was California though, not Kansas.