• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self image of physical appearance

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I pay as little attention to it as possible. I've been in great shape, all tidied up, snazzy, you know? And no one noticed.

Then it'll be 2 AM, I haven't left the apartment in three days, and I force myself to go get a sandwich. I'm dirty, my hair is totally silly, I've thrown on some retarded clothing combination only to cover myself, and I have an anti-social look in my eye due to suddenly being around people...And some cute girl will stare at me like she's been wandering through the desert for 48 hours and I'm Gatorade. Fuck it.

See, physical appearance is the most irrelevant thing there is in the world.

My take on it is very very spiritual and INFJ influenced, so I wont dig into it :D

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
It ususally depends on my mental state. At times I feel that I am very attractive and it usually corresponds to an upbeat mood. When I feel discouraged or depressed, I then beleive that I am ugly.

I've also noticed that my opinion of my attractiveness also depends on how close or far away I am in relation to the mirror. There is a certain distance where I think I look good, but as I get closer that opinion changes. There is a "no mans land" area where I don't like how I look. Once I get to extreme close up distance and start to focus on smaller aspects of my appearance, say just my eyes or my lips, then I like what I see again.

heart

heart on fire
Sinus trouble doesn't help. If my face gets sorta swollen then I hate it.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
It fluctuates for me as well. Some days I feel like a 9 or 10, and other days more like a 6 or 7. Although, its really all about confidence. The more confident you feel, the more attractive you feel/are, which boosts your confidence again. Definitely a difference in the looks I get when I feel more confident as compared to when I don't.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly. Curious as to what may be considered normal by hearing how others feel.

Word, dawgs.

When I leave the house in the morning, I usually feel really good about the way I look because I wear clothes I love, and I have good grooming habits, and I've been blessed with (dare I say it) some pretty fine genetic material. But my mood can totally fluctuate during the day depending on how I think other people are reacting to me. If I think for some reason that I'm being compared negatively with another woman, then I feel instantly insecure, and I have to rush off to find somewhere to be by myself for a few minutes to try to talk sense into myself. Unless I make myself stop that train of thought, it can completely wreck the present moment for me.

I feel best about my appearance when I'm convinced that it's just one of several things that people I'm spending time with are appreciating about me. And I think I come across as being the most confident when I'm not even remotely thinking about it.

Sarah
ISFP

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sometimes I wake up, look into the mirror and think "Dayum girl. ;) Good job waking up looking like that!" .. And sometimes I have those fat days where I notice every bit of weight I've gained, how bad my skin is, my broken nose and weird toes. But with those extremes aside, I tend to think I look decently slightly above average when dressed normally, and that I look pretty decent for a woman when I take the time out to make myself look like one.

Edit: It helps when people compliment me, even though I STILL don't know how to handle compliments other than a blushy thank you or a "Whatever!!". Also, I feel confident when I dress up on my own.. but not so much when I go to a place that requires dressing up.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But my mood can totally fluctuate during the day depending on how I think other people are reacting to me. If I think for some reason that I'm being compared negatively with another woman, then I feel instantly insecure

Yes, this is true for me too.

My self image fluctuates a lot. Pretty much what everyone else has said here - sometimes I feel attractive, and sometimes I feel butt ugly. I'm 'ok' with a lot of it now, but some days I'm totally consumed by poor self image, and my confidence is really impacted by it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes, this is true for me too.

My self image fluctuates a lot. Pretty much what everyone else has said here - sometimes I feel attractive, and sometimes I feel butt ugly. I'm 'ok' with a lot of it now, but some days I'm totally consumed by poor self image, and my confidence is really impacted by it.

My confidence suffers greatly when I feel ugly. It's odd, because someone just insulting me won't effect me.. and some stranger telling me this or that won't do it either. but sometimes someone will say things like "If only you had this (where 'this' could be or has been said before to be: makeup on, shorter hair, bigger boobs, a smaller nose, insulin, etc.), you'd be beautiful." and I suddenly feel like a piece of my confidence has partially been stolen.

wolfy

awsm
My physical self image stays pretty stable. When I look at myself about the only thing I think about is my training goings well or bad or I need a haircut.

Like Frank Zappa said there's more of us ugly "#$%&$". :devil:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
For me, it's been difficult to assess through the eyes of anyone else but me. And it's difficult enough at that. Many physical changes.

Childhood
Adolescence.
Pregnancy
Post-pregnancy
Pregnancy
Post-pregnancy
Hard work, hard work
And now. . .

The great leveler of all female ego - Gravity! It wins every time.

I gave up worrying about it a while ago.

*Looks for old "Frederick's of Hollywood" catalogue.*

Now, if I ever catch another man, I'll just have to remember to keep my clothes on and all will be well. Heh.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm really neutral about my own appearance. I'm fit and healthy. That is my only concern. If my shirt is on the right way, it's a good day. Otherwise, it's irrelevant.

katzchen

MBTI Type
IntP
Fluctuates over the day, usually depending on whether I've showered or not. Some days I just try to tell myself I'm the "weird" kind of pretty, with varying degrees of success.

I really don't think I look like the person I see in the mirror. It doesn't look like me at all.

I can actually relate to that.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think the question for me is more so how much damage have I done to myself. If I smell clean and have clean clothes on I'm good to go.

I don't really pay any attention though to my appearance so I don't think I pay to much attention to my self image, unless someone is gawking/staring then it either decreases or I have a laugh because I sort of feel bad for them that I'm their object of attention:blush:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really don't think I look like the person I see in the mirror. It doesn't look like me at all.

That ^ totally. I'm pretty detached from what I look like.

B

beyondaurora

My self-image fluctuates constantly. One moment I feel content with my attractiveness and happy with keeping my appearance natural and modest, but as soon as I see some "hot chick" with fake boobs and highlights, I feel horribly unattractive. This is especially true if my partner finds those types of women attractive (which I know he does). It blows my mind because I value that aspect of myself very much and I want him to as well.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
It fluctuates, probably tending more to the negative side, mainly due to my skin which has been fucked up since time immemorial. But I don't really think about it that much and I never really get depressed about it. I'm highly self-critical about most things, so I try to keep that in the back of my mind.

V

violaine

Can fluctuate a little and seems to depend on how much exercise I'm getting. I don't feel quite right if I don't work out. If I am then I feel good about myself.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My sense of appearance varies based on my mood. No surprise there. When we feel good, we LOOK good. When we feel like shit, we look like shit. Conversely, when you look good, you start to feel good. That's partly why when you're feeling depressed you need to get out there and take care of your appearance. Get a haircut. Throw on some cologne or something.

Confidence is key. When you're feeling insecure and you're on the make, women can sense it. When you are confident and don't give a shit, women will respond. Do you look any different? Not really. But, you do. Your animating principle has shifted dramatically. You project strength and independence rather than fear and insecurity. The solution is to purposefully destroy all vestiges of insecurity or self-consciousness. Go out of your way to embarrass yourself. What does it matter? Most people are not paying attention to you anyway. Annihilate self.

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
For me it depends on whether I've got clothes on.:blush: I have absolutely no figure and am basically a scrawny toothpick. But I've got an attractive face, porcelain skin & glossy hair (as you can see, I'm very modest:devil:) and I like to dress nicely in my own unique way. So when I'm wearing clothes, I'm usually somewhere from feeling good about myself to feeling alright.

But during the other situation, I'm really insecure. I can't tell you how much I envy other women who actually have a figure (e.g. curves). :cry:

I can't relate much to the comments that people make about my appearance, like the words they use to describe me: dainty, elegant, tiny, cute, sweet... For years I was completely surprised to hear myself described that way.:huh:

V

violaine

...I can't relate much to the comments that people make about my appearance, like the words they use to describe me: dainty, elegant, tiny, cute, sweet... For years I was completely surprised to hear myself described that way.:huh:

^Those are some wonderful descriptors! :)