User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Question Can a person with mental illness ever truly determine their personality type?

After long debate and continually trying to figure out my personality type, I've found that INFJ resonates the most with me. However, it is really difficult to identify true personality type when there are a lot of confounding factors that affect how you feel, think, and act.

For example, I personally struggle with ADHD, depression, and PMDD (super insane sensitivity to hormonal changes throughout my menstrual cycle... I've declared numerous times I don't want to be a woman because having stable hormones would be SO much easier). Because of this, I deviate from my 'true self' quite frequently. Throw in the fact that I also have some deep rooted self esteem issues and faulty defense mechanisms from childhood, and you've got one cluster f*** of a person! (I don't mean this in a self hating way, but more in the sense that it is VERY difficult to be certain of any specific categorization of myself.)

Side note, I'm new here. If anyone believes this thread should be in a different section let me know!

Another side note: This would be really interesting to consider with a bipolar person. How do you classify personality type (other than turbulent) when there are such extreme differences in it?
    Likes Luminous, The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Yes. might be harder but some people without mental illness also have a hard time figuring out their type
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Yes. You jusy have to figure that stuff into typing. It makes it harder but its not impossible by a long shot.

Ill answer more in depth later. Also about the bipolar thing. Ill try to put my thoughts into words with that
    Likes The Cat, PurplePal liked this post

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Sure, it just takes extra time and is more frustrating. You're far from alone.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes The Cat, natalia93 liked this post

Yes. It can be doable. I have a severe anxiety disorder and it took me a few years to figure it out. PTSD and GAD.
    Likes The Cat, natalia93 liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

I have a mental illness and I know I'm a 4w5 sp/sx and an INFJ.
    Likes prplchknz, The Cat, natalia93 liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6 sp

Ill come back to this I guess. I have bipolar disorder with psychotic features and... I can type myself. Sometimes when Im going through an episode I get really confused and upset and... start thinking very negatively about myself- but I still... Im still me. Im just an emotionally distressed/overly impacted version of myself.

If I weed through all the symptoms I display I can understand why I might appear as a different type- but typology is more about whys then behavior really. I can be very outgoing, very very on to an obnoxious extent and know that its my illness that is doing that to me- and not a conscious choice or preference. Its like taking drugs- your behavior might be impacted, things might be a lot more out of your control, but you are still you underneath all of it. I can know that even if Im manic or hypomanic that that is what that is- not extroversion.

Having this condition means that sometimes its harder for me to be my best self- sometimes it feels just really unfairly harder because sometimes Im really really trying and still feel... just incapable of being in control of my actions as much as I would like to be- but Im still me underneath it all.

If anything you can almost understand type better when you look at health levels. Like with me, when I get really unhealthy I get very... reactive like a 6... and show my upset through yelling at people through my Te (Im an INFP)

Im not sure if I wrote this well enough but... yeah. I guess Im just saying that I have mental illness... but Im NOT mental illness.

Can anyone truly know their type?

Who's sane and how is not?

How does an individual remain sane when they live in an insane society? Is an individual sane if their sanity is determined by being highly adjusted to insane expectations or an insane context? When your existence diverges sharply from your essence is it likely to take a tole on your sanity or not?

Most of typology seems useful to me in so far as it encourages reflection and introspection, asking questions like these, beyond that I'm not so sure.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx

it can be done.
    With all due respect,
    The Cat.

Clarity demands a certain degree of objectivity, from the world as well as the observer...
    Likes Abcdenfp liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Im not sure if I wrote this well enough but... yeah. I guess Im just saying that I have mental illness... but Im NOT mental illness.
    Your entire post was well written, but I just wanted to emphasize the importance of this last bit. YES YES YES!!!
    INFJ.6w5.HSP
    Likes The Cat, Luminous, dougvincent1138 liked this post