• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think you’re emotionally needy?

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As in needing validation from others (in any form) more often than you concider average.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I take care of myself, I take care of my people, and I think that's enough.
Needing someone always sounded far-fetched and too dramatic. Why would anyone need anyone? You're not my oxygen or food.

I might desire you, but it stops there.

There's a certain kind of adorable, spontaneous and lighthearted neediness that I can accept from some women though. Others, however, can feel too suffocating and demanding. Discarded on the spot.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No, but then I don't know what you consider average.
Lol I don't know either. It's not really a question of measurement, but whether or not you feel as though you are asking more than you think you should.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol I don't know either. It's not really a question of measurement, but whether or not you feel as though you are asking more than you think you should.
I don't have that feeling. I more often feel I am being expected to give more than I should.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't know.

I do know that I'm needier-than-average when it comes to needing others to keep their own emotional needs/expectations/reactions (of and towards me) in check. And I'm e5, prone to denial about my own needs (not wanting to have any) - so if anything, I repress them and they hide in the unconscious for me. Or so I assume. My low tolerance for other's neediness suggests to me that I have work to do on accepting my own needs are there (and okay) first - even if I can't perceive them.

eta: I guess that^ is working with a definition of "needy" that would define it as needing something from other people to regulate our own emotions. If "needy" is just needing explicit validation from others, then no - that's actually where I should work on accepting that I need some at all.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
need always provides pressure , i am totally self reliant and my internal measure comes,from within

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
When I feel all is well with the other person in question, and they matter a lot to me, I think I'm pretty independent, but I do get kind of needy if I feel they are not okay and I don't know why and it goes on for a long time or quite suddenly with no righting itself. I think I'm better at not relying on others close to me for a mirror of my own self as I used to be. In a lot of ways, I'm pretty happy and self-sufficient. But ideally I think I'd be better at not allowing other people's emotions to colour my own. I'm getting better at allowing other people to be whatever they need or want to be without it impacting me as deeply, but I still resent it more than I think is optimal, especially when it seems like they are being immature or capricious in doing so. As both an NFJ and a e1, I probably am pretty motivated by affirmation or recognition from people who impact my life or have control over other people's perceptions/are over me and unduly bothered by their indifference or them censuring me. I have gotten more proactive about this, and also have better perspective than I did, but it's definitely something that I'm working to change.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
No, not when I'm healthy. I'm pretty independent and emotionally stubborn, as in someone might have to gently force their way in to help me emotionally.

I do like attention at times though, like cuddling and playing around. I usually let my partner know I want this in playful ways, like gently messing with his physical space or acting play-bratty/innocent. He likes it, so I guess we're a good match.

None of this is to say I'm not ever emotional or hard to please though, just not needy.

No. It would be hard to be more on the loner side of social dynamics if you’re constantly seeking emotional support and validation from other people. I spend large amounts of time alone.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think I'm anymore emotionally needy than anyone else. I'm average on the scale of it I guessed.

I do require external feedback in my life though. But it's not really for emotional support. I just need validation that I'm doing whatever it is properly because I'm always over thinking, second guessing myself, and over complicating things.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
only when it is indulged; it sort of recedes into the background otherwise... it's a lot like nicotine addiction... you only miss it so long when it's gone, but you'll still think about it now and then when you see someone smoking...

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Maybe. I mean. I try not to be but... maybe. Im not as good at not needing people as I like to pretend I an. But because I try not to need people Im probably less emotionally needy irl than most people- probably a good deal less than most people irl. On here... Im needier than I am irl. But I dont want to be too needy. Im working on understanding what is ok- and how to balance all this/

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
if you mean I am clingy and get lonely easily yea

but validation from others? I've lived so long without that it is no longer required XD

Kanye69

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hate sharing my feelings, and I don't really like other people's feelings. Like, not because I don't care, but because I don't know how to handle them. I want to help them, but I don't know what to say. I still want people to feel like they can come to me with their problems, but I don't think I'm of too too much use in that respect. Maybe I'm too critical of myself in this respect 🤷.
-Kanye69

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Eh, my confidence in my intelligence is still a bit shaky at times, and is an area I can find a need for outside validation, like whenever coming up with new ideas or thoughts, I might just throw them out there to see how they're received.

If I'm not in a good place emotionally and my thoughts are immediately shot down by someone I am closer to, it can impact me a bit. Usually I only take things more personally from those I trust and have let in, otherwise the shit usually goes unnoticed.

Emotional validation? No, not at all. That area, I have high confidence in and am content amongst a crowd as I am doing my own thing and wandering on some personal adventure :)

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my moments, yet for the most part I don't verbalize them when I am. I'm used to not having much emotional support, thus learning to keep most of my thoughts related to that compartmentalized in the sunken place.

Kanye69

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hate feeling needy. I want to be independent, and I don't want others to feel like I'm making them less independent than they could be. Hence I try to never be needy. I think I'm pretty successful in this respect.
-Kanye69