• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spanking: Should spanking be used to discipline a child?

Mole

Permabanned
Spanking is a tool of authoritarian child rearing, while empathy and creativity are part of the helping mode of child rearing.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont condone spanking at all ages, only till they are able to rationally understand rules etc.

rav3n

I dont condone spanking at all ages, only till they are able to rationally understand rules etc.
That still doesn't make any sense since babies have simple needs and shouldn't be punished for their needs. Toddlers can easily be anticipated such as not taking them shopping when it's nap time or when they're hungry. My son had one tantrum his entire life. I didn't freak out and didn't give him what he wanted with the understanding that there would be no discussion until he had calmed down. He calmed down pretty quickly and from there, it was smooth sailing. It's really that simple. There's no need to physically abuse them. Would you smack an adult with down syndrome around?

Tater

Like it was just yesterday, I remember my bare ass being whipped with a belt 20+ times for something I didn't even do when I was 5 years old.

Fuck that noise.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
And yet, physical punishment is quite common among poor neighborhoods. Stop and consider that, in that domestic violence breeds domestic violence.

I would dare to add that it also breeds emotional problems and new circle of poverty.
There is huge middle ground between being a violent parent and allowing your kids to rise themselves the best way they can.

Kaiser

Spanking is not the answer. You're teaching your child to treat bad behaviour with a physical beating. Violence is never the answer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Without fear of violence, there is no law.

Simply put, if your kids do not fear you. They will be little pieces of trash when they get older.

Hmm. How many kids do you have?

We raised 4 productive, educated and employed (adults 3) kids, three of them boys, never hit one of them. Must have been some kind of miracle that it worked without fear or violence.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It doesn't matter whether or not you think spanking worked for you, the statistics show that it largely has negative consequences. It's like arguing that smoking isn't bad for you because you know people that didn't die from it. That doesn't matter because even if there is a chance it won't turn out bad, it's not your decision to light your kid's cigarette. We know it doesn't work.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only in extreme circumstances. Too much empathy and coddling leads to narcissistic, self-absorbed children, whilst too much of the opposite also has negative effects.

Sparkykun

MBTI Type
INFJ
A person who has reared multiple Doctorates mentioned to view child rearing as a job, use love as a guide, build a solid foundation in education, and to be a role model (meaning don't request anything of your child if you yourself can't do it).

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No thanks. I used to think I couldn't say anything about spanking since I wasn't raised that way. But it's simple, I don't want to hit my children. It's ironic though, a lot of people who are like, "I got spanked and I turned out fine!" did not turn out fine(i.e they're douchebags). Then again, as someone who had a mom who didn't really discipline a ton but was alcoholic, what do I know? My parents apparently gave me hot sauce as a kid for that sort of thing and that's how I found out I like spicy food. I was 2 then.