First 23456 Last

Give me a fourth dot. The Tsarevich's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp
    Socionics
    :-( None

People are treating "gossip" like it's all about personal cattiness, but it can also be simply an exchange of information. "Did you hear about So-and-So's daughter? She was involved in a horrible accident..."

In our hunter-gatherer days, this could be a valuable survival tool. It helps us survive when we know if a tribe is likely to be hostile when we move through their territory, if there is any water in the direction we're headed, if this guy is a jerk, or if there's a man-eating lion at the watering hole.

I assume when humans gossip, it is rooted in that survival need.
    *Need enneagram questionnaire?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post2218641
    Likes Luminous, Zhaylin, Mole, chickpea liked this post

gos·sip

noun
    casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.
    "He became the subject of much local gossip"
    synonyms: rumor (s), whispers, stories, tales, canards, tidbits; idle talk, scandal, hearsay; malicious gossip, whispering campaign, smear campaign
    Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

We relate to others face to face, by gossiping about them to others, and by imagining talking to them.

So a relationship has three elements, including gossip.

But what is interesting is the three elements are kept secret from each other, and when we discover that what we say face to face, is not what we say when we gossip, and not what we say to them in our imagination.

So a normal relationship includes systematic deception, or we can use the weasel words of 'being tactful'.
    Last edited by Mole; 05-01-2019 at 04:35 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

In recent years, research on the positive effects of gossip has proliferated. Rather than just a means to humiliate people and make them cry in the bathroom, gossip is now being considered by scientists as a way to learn about cultural norms, bond with others, promote cooperation, and even, as one recent study found, allow individuals to gauge their own success and social standing.

Dunbar’s theory is that as humans were fruitful and multiplied, we began to live in larger groups and it became hard to keep track of what everybody was up to just by observing them. And so, we needed language. Language allows us to know what other people have been doing, even if we weren’t there to witness it.

When a person chooses to share a story about someone else, it’s because they think that story is significant in some way. It might just be scandal or the thrill of some out-of-the-ordinary news. But researchers wrote in a 2004 study in the Review of General Psychology: “In many cases defamation of the target’s character is not the primary goal, and may even be irrelevant.”
    Whisper network - Wikipedia
    Likes mgbradsh liked this post

I live in the political Capital of continent, and I can tell you gossip is political. Gossip is one way of gaining political power.

Just to change up the discussion a little, maybe, what role do you think gossip plays in the forum? Is it what draws people to the forum in the first place? Is it what makes people stay? Does it account for the popularity of the fluff threads? Or single sentence posting? What role do you think Discord or similar peripherals play in it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Just to change up the discussion a little, maybe, what role do you think gossip plays in the forum?
    Gossip, if we mean talking about someone behind their back for reasons unrelated to concern about their wellbeing, so as a largely negative thing, I think is probably the source of some drama, or fuel for that drama.

Is it what draws people to the forum in the first place?
    No. People aren't that interested in people they don't know. An interest in typology and relationship issues are my guesses for what draws most people here. Has gossip ever drawn you anywhere?

Is it what makes people stay?
    Not if they're like me.

Does it account for the popularity of the fluff threads?
    What does gossip have to do with the fluff threads at all? Honestly? Do you think people are speaking in code or something? Where is the gossip you speak of? Give examples.

Or single sentence posting?
    Same response as above. What?

What role do you think Discord or similar peripherals play in it?
    Not the TypoC server for the most part, no. There's probably a bit of gossip there, but it's mostly not gossip and is people conversing with each other, mostly talking about themselves.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

I don't mean to cast a subtype in a negative light, but I have noticed that Social types can be concerned with "what's going on with whom, and between this and this person, and..." you get the gist. They seem quite invested in that, since they want to be able to belong. They may be more prone to "gossip" perhaps because of their need to know what's going on with people around them.

I personally do not "gossip" more so just talk about what I am actually bothered by; so the only reason I will mention someone else, while speaking with someone else is...is when I need to talk about that. I am not "gossiping" and I am not usually interested in that all that much

sometimes people are also excessively image-concerned and they want to drag someone down or something; it's "nasty" as my brother calls it. I was not aware of these things until recently since it seems like i saw the best in people

We relate to others face to face, by gossiping about them to others, and by imagining talking to them.

So a relationship has three elements, including gossip.

But what is interesting is the three elements are kept secret from each other, and when we discover that what we say face to face, is not what we say when we gossip, and not what we say to them in our imagination.

So a normal relationship includes systematic deception, or we can use the weasel words of 'being tactful'.

A Bittersweet Symphony... The Cat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    478 so/sx

Well I heard the pros had a lot of good points in favor, but *leans in closer* between you me and the NSA, I heard the cons, were against it.
    I am the Cat who walks by himself; and all places are alike to me...
    Likes Luminous, Zhaylin liked this post