• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Depression, anxiety, stress, anger P.T.S.D. What are your coping mechanisms?

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tried CBD oil for a little while... but my family is now under the impression that it's an addictive drug (when it wasn't).

Calming music helps a bit... and meditation (with Reiki, in my case). It's been a while since I've last done that, I should probably pick it up again...

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"I too have battled a life long journey of dealing with various ailments. What I have suffered from, no man nor a woman can fully comprehend. I would not in my existence choose the alleyways of despair, etc., upon which life has swept on me. I myself shall go and consult the information on EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). An individual would need 'Walk the Path' and have experience of it. I many times have stipulated we as human beings share our planet and thus irrevocably have an interconnection. This portion is representative of our external reality we live and experience in objective fashion.

I in use of an analogy compare this as a Nature component based on genetics and is best thought analogous to a Hard-Wiring of an individual's subconscious mind. The other dimension is that of our internal reality made of each individual's beliefs, thoughts, feelings as well perception. This is subjective by nature. It's my own view and perspective all our experiences in life have the primary origin in the early formative years of pivotal childhood. As I stated on numerous times their has been identified the 40 developmental assets that are crucial for a child to receive in their formative years. These developmental assets have been ascertained through science research of both qualitative and quantitative study.

If the child receives enough of these ingredients for success, odds are far more likely the person will live out throughout a course of their life a more balanced, healthy and as well happy life. Those lucky individuals who had a fortunate benefit of growing into a stable environment surrounded by love, safety, proper boundaries and guidelines. These precious young people did not have an ordeal of dealing with parents who have issues of their own which are then projected unto their kids. This is an aspect of the 'Nurture' we did or simply did not receive in childhood.

As I have upon multiple re-explanations stipulated our early developmental stages of life and with conjunction the life lessons we learn upon our journey during a course of a lifetime are analogous to a brain's 'Soft-Ware.' Research has with unequivocal study shown that the children growing in an adverse, dysfunctional home of abuse will show a lifetime of problematic features in home life, employ-ability, substance abuse, have more teenage pregnancies, problems in a viable relationship, mental health symptoms, etc. Fully two thirds will suffer for a lack of parenting skills they've received into a foreseeable future during their purgatory felt symptom's felt, experience'd and endured. This all in turn bring about a 66 percentile in dysfunction and life long problematic symptoms.

It is not easily understood by another who has not endured the purgatory feeling of despair for they live in another phenomenological inner-universe of life's experience. They simply can not comprehend nor had first hand knowledge of an individual that does suffer nor experienced the depth of it. It is akin to hell on earth. Due to a person's individualized paradigm of both Nature along Nurture, there isn't any one alike to a 100th percentile. So many wise saying, "Do not judge lest ye have walked a mile in my shoes." "Live and let live." "If you can't say something positive or framed with respectful feedback, then don't say anything at all." All of these wise sayings are so simple. It is in adversity that a person may test their true moral character. "What is it to preach one thing and being affiliated with those of only like view if you do not have the courage to treat others of dissimilar view with respect?"

That doesn't mean you have to agree or condone with another's viewpoint. Instead have restraint of your emotional state plus show manifested spiritual maturity. Labeling and name calling with pejoratives manifest a lack of reason and you do not walk the path you may proclaim you walk. Mental Health has so much stigma. The described characteristics I articulated lead me to try being a voice of critical reason, non-distorted thought, mindfulness, mental discipline, active listening skills in communication and empathy. All need to be taught at a much earlier level so it may chance become ingrained in us and be as a second nature."

jamain

MBTI Type
IST_
Do you suffer from any intense emotion such as depression, anxiety, stress, anger P.T.S.D., etc.
I have issues with depression. Medication was recommended by my physician, but I declined. I also have some undiagnosed issues with OCD. Unwanted intrusive thoughts that I allow to lead me into cycles of obsessive behavior which eventually leads to some pretty significant depressive episodes. There is usually a trigger - something specific I can point to that got it started.

What are your symptoms?
Depression - Frequent (at times daily) thoughts of suicide. Although I really don't believe I would, I periodically go through periods where I can't seem to get the idea of it out of my mind. In more extreme times I am not motivated to do much of anything, including get out of bed.
OCD - This is not easy to describe but I'll give it a shot. I get fixated on something that depresses me (there's usually a religious element to it - sort of like scrupulosity) where I obsess about something and endlessly research it over and over and over always feeling like I didn't do enough.

What are your coping mechanisms?
Actively work to avoid those things that I know can trigger and prolong the episodes. I usually try to log off and stay away from social media, facebook, forums, etc.

Stilldoubting

MBTI Type
Duno
Enneagram
Dun
Anxiety.

I started CBT last year in July i think and i made a Massive progress. I used to be afraid of people, the general stuff most ridiculous things one could think of. I now can comfortably look into peoples eyes & talk to them without breaking a sweat or blubbering. Being a cashier helped me massively & my boss is also very supportive. Starting therapy & landing that job happened at the same time :D I'm not happy with the job as i hate being cashier but it did help me tremendiously to incorporate my therapy sessions in my life in order to progress.
Still i have to work on my High Standards, Perfectionism & Never feeling good enough.
Long way to go.

Trying to incorporate Vipassana meditation too but i get freaking heart palpitations (my hypothesis is that since i'm not used being idle my body prevents me from doing by increasing my heart rate, lol)
I usually think away, trying to figure out the solutions & cause of my anxiety + play video games + music & pron.

Lark

I've been reading a book called "Cure" which explores the mind and its roll in illness and cure, I've got to say that its sort of troubling in that the mind has his huge, huge role in physical illness, thinking patterns reshaping the brain, even having an epigenetic effect so you can pass on as inheritance to posterity worsened states of vulnerability to stress and crisis (or inherit it in the first place), on the plus side social connectedness can result in increased longevity but the chapter on therapy, which focused on CBT and mindfulness based CBT was a little disappointing, like it seemed largely a placebo effect, likewise medications are hit and miss.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I suffer from very high anxiety. My copying mechanism used to be alcohol. But alcohol may have damaged my left hearing. So I think I don't really have any copying mechanism anymore.

Yesterday I tried to date a super-gorgeous 350lb woman. Her beauty is almost godly, and dating her pretty much made me feel I killed myself.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
All I have to say about it is that I am tired of all these people saying "You just need to talk to someone about it."

That only works if someone CARES.. When everyone just brushes you off or tells you to "stop being negative" it only makes it worse.

Jaguar

Really? Everyday you wake up refreshed with the idea that; in a sense you are a brand new person, totally? With fresh dreams, vigor and hope? Every day you die to yourself, and some new person goes sauntering away from your bed in the morning?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Lark

The rate of people which are suffering from mental illness increased a lot during this couple of years and all this is one of the most important from which people are suffering and I know that it will sound stupid but all this caused by the good life conditions because people worry nowadays of a lot of useless thing like the number of followers. All these things lead to mental illnesses and one of the best remedies is kratom it's a 100% natural and legal product, this is not a drug but a calming one for more information visit Kratom Gallery and find all the necessary information which you need.

Hmm, while I would say, yes, the sort of stressful situations you mention may be occurring, I would qualify it or label it differently to mental illness.

Its distress, yes, and prolonged distress can give rise to patterns of thinking which if they get entrenched can be a problem for people but its different to what psychiatrists label as personality disorder, serious mental illness and psychosis. Those things are on the rise too though.

The widespread use of drugs is a major part of this, alcoholism too, these things have implications far beyond the individual users because the chemicals wash out into the water table, across generations predispositions to addiction and dependency are inherited, even being over weight or under weight or other co-morbidity, have inherited implications across generations.

Traumas from crime, or a career in the military, prison service, police service, social work, even teaching, anything interfacing with traumatized populations can give rise to secondary trauma, or with prolonged exposure (the span of a single career) illness resembling or actual complex trauma. So called "simple" trauma, ie corresponding to single life threatening incidents, can take as many as three generations to "filter" out of a family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Limiting things that can contribute to feeling overwhelmed. At its most extreme it meant staring at a wall and concentrating on nothing but that.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To cope with my depression I just try and take things one step at a time try and get up that big scary black mountain one step at a time. I also talk to someone close to me about what's bothering me and just try and brighten thiongs up with doing things like working on my art, playing a game.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Literally just meds and self-improvement. Analyzing and then taking action. That's all I need, I'm very happy and confident with this. When I don't have meds it's usually distractions, sleep, cats, or talking to friends.

J. Starke

MBTI Type
entj
Thinking of options and working harder. Also just moving around, walking clears up my brain.

Mole

Permabanned
I try to discover what feelings I am hiding from myself, then I seek to understand these feelings, where they come from, and what do they mean.

Mole

Permabanned
In particular I examine my relationships with my parents.

I found my mother was like an egg, very mixed up inside, and with a hard shell on the outside, and I am quite like my mother, so I am starting to listen to my mixed up feelings inside myself.

By contrast my father didn't have a hards shell, he was open to the world, except he wanted the world to love and admire him.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Sometimes I just get fiercely determined not to be depressed and just give depression the middle finger. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Walking in a location I find beautiful is what I do when the anxiety component is high. I'm not an exercising type of person, but just walk a bit like Forest Gump. As long as I'm physically moving, some energy is deflected into that simple activity, so I have less energy to feel emotional pain. I've been walking a lot lately, even in the cold.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Walking in a location I find beautiful is what I do when the anxiety component is high. I'm not an exercising type of person, but just walk a bit like Forest Gump. As long as I'm physically moving, some energy is deflected into that simple activity, so I have less energy to feel emotional pain. I've been walking a lot lately, even in the cold.

nature can be so peaceful. I often find when I feel really really low I just go feed ducks. They don't judge, they don't do anything wrong. they just lovingly come and gobble everything you offer them. One time I even got one to let me pet it. XD That's some serious emotional healing lol.

I enjoy the intensity of walking in the cold. One of the reasons I like winter. It just feels so calming of a sensation to have the chill hit you. It is weird but yeah.

Mole

Permabanned

As we walk we engage in a repetition, the repetition of one foot after the other, and as a trance can be induced by any repetition, walking is entrancing.

And as we entrance ourself by walking, our critical mind goes to sleep for a while, and our imaginative mind wakes up, and we start to perceive the beauty around us, and we start to become beautiful as the trees, sky, and water around us.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As we walk we engage in a repetition, the repetition of one foot after the other, and as a trance can be induced by any repetition, walking is entrancing.

And as we entrance ourself by walking, our critical mind goes to sleep for a while, and our imaginative mind wakes up, and we start to perceive the beauty around us, and we start to become beautiful as the trees, sky, and water around us.
This is an interesting and apt way to say it.